Yamaha upgrade? Help.

B

Bob Shafer

Audiophyte
I am in the process of updating my home theatre system and was told to first upgrade my receiver. I have a Yamaha rsv-3000 and was told to move up to another new Yamaha receiver, the rxv-2500. Is this worthwhile? What other options should I consider?

Thanks

Bob Shafer

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
what are your other toys ? unless you are missing DTS or Dolby Digital on the amp, it may not really need an upgrade. There may be some better places to start. :)

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Bob Shafer said:
I am in the process of updating my home theatre system and was told to first upgrade my receiver. I have a Yamaha rsv-3000 and was told to move up to another new Yamaha receiver, the rxv-2500. Is this worthwhile? What other options should I consider?

Thanks

Bob Shafer
Bad advice on updating the receiver first, if at all. As I just mentioned on another post, 95% of what you hear is based on speaker choice and room acoustics. As long as you are not clipping, there is no reason to upgrade to a new receiver at all unless it has some feature you appsolutely have to have. Without a doubt IMO speakers are your first thing to upgrade.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Bob Shafer said:

Thanks

Bob Shafer

Nick is correct, of course. What is it about your setup that you want to upgrade? What is it lacking? You should also look for a new coach to help you :D

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
what year is the rsv-3000?

Bob Shafer said:

Thanks

Bob Shafer
What year is the RSV-3000?
What other components to you own? How about your speakers? Make/model/year?

B

Bob Shafer

Audiophyte
Upgrade

The 3000 is about 3-4 years old. I am hoping to get a RXV 4600. My other components are:

Marantz DV 8300
Marantz DR 17
Nakamichi Tape deck

Speakers are good quality

Bob

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Bob Shafer said:
The 3000 is about 3-4 years old. I am hoping to get a RXV 4600. My other components are:

Marantz DV 8300
Marantz DR 17
Nakamichi Tape deck

Speakers are good quality

Bob
What speakers do you have? Specifically. Mains, Center, Rears, SUB.

I looked at the specs on the 3000 and there still pretty current. You have DTS and DD. Sure there are some newer update out there, but like others have said, you can spend your money better on other areas and get much bigger improvements.

Here the specs BTW,

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gAVR00010RX-V3000

Let us know what your speakers are. They may be good quality but not good for HT or a bad mix together.

Shinerman

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Check out the rear panel of that Yamaha 3000 receiver. Pretty impressive. I would hold onto that for a little while longer. I don't think the huge expenditure on the new 4600 is worthwhile, unless you have a deserving younger brother who can use the 3000.

D

davread

Audiophyte
RXV2500 subwoofer problem

Has anyone else has a problem getting the pre-out subwoofer to produce a signal ? All the speaker level outputs work fine and it sounds great BUT with no sound from the sub - just a constant low hum.

I think I have all the setup correct (set the bass out to SWFR) and the subwoofer works cos I attached it to my other amp.

Am I missing something ridiculously idiotic ?

I checked all the pre-out outputs and none of them are producing a signal which makes me think there might be a setting - but I'm hornswaggled if I can find one ! The other option is that the whole pre-out board is blown, but that doesn't seem very likely.

Any ideas ?

thanks
davread

Z

zoran

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Check out the rear panel of that Yamaha 3000 receiver. Pretty impressive. I would hold onto that for a little while longer. I don't think the huge expenditure on the new 4600 is worthwhile, unless you have a deserving younger brother who can use the 3000.
I would recommend the one with hdmi switching coming in June for $1800 by yamaha, I thought was 4806

D

davread

Audiophyte
no luck....

Tried setting it to "both" - same result.

Anything else I should try before sending it back ?

cheers
davread

G

gwilav

Enthusiast
You are probably either plugged into the pre amp input (multi channel input) or you have your speakers set to large.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis