Yamaha TSR-7810 upgrade?

bsac

bsac

Audiophyte
I bought a Costco Yamaha TSR-7810 AVR a few years ago because it had pre-outs for all the different channels.

I'm ready to upgrade the sound via adding separate external power to the AVR in hopes of improving the headroom and getting rid of the thin-sounding harshness I'm hearing.

I was wondering if you thought this approach would work? For example, If I were to add a n Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 7 or Monoprice Monolith by Monoprice 7x200 Watts Per Channel would this improve the sound? Or would it just further amp a thin/harsh pre-amp signal that the Yamaha TSR 7810 is delivering?

These amps are not cheap and about the same cost as just buying a Yamaha RX-3080 or a new Yamaha a6a.

SO, the question is should I buy an external 7-channel amp or just dump the TSR-7810 and upgrade into a RX-3080 or a6a?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd first consider what your speakers are. That's usually the source of sound quality, or your source. So what are those in your setup?

bsac

bsac

Audiophyte
I'd first consider what your speakers are. That's usually the source of sound quality, or your source. So what are those in your setup?
I have Klipsch Cornwalls mains, Klipsch Academy center. All have upgrades titanium diaphragms (Crites). Some shitty little front prescense and old KB3 Klipsch back surround speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No subs? Those are fairly sensitive speakers so doesn't seem power would be a particular issue, just how loud do you listen? How were the speakers before the crites/diaphragm upgrade?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Adding amps usually won’t improve the sound.

Upgrading to the RX-A3080 or RX-A6A may not improve the sound either, but I would do this instead adding an amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another thought is how are your room acoustics, that could play a role easily....

bsac

bsac

Audiophyte
No subs? Those are fairly sensitive speakers so doesn't seem power would be a particular issue, just how loud do you listen? How were the speakers before the crites/diaphragm upgrade?
oh yes, I have a SVS PB-12 (2) 12" double driver sub. I'm a musician, so, I listen to music pretty loud. Titanium diaphram replacements + re-capping the CWs did help.

I find the Yamaha TSR-7810 convenient yet thin and shrill when the volume goes up. I used to have a RX-V1 and that amp had great headroom and it was a great sound, beefy and not fatiguing like the 7810. I wonder if I would find the Yama 3080 or the new A6A to be more like my old RX-V1?

I recently hooked up my old 70's Pioneer SX-838 with my PL-51 turntable and fell in love with it all over again. I could not believe the DIFFERENCE in how BAD new AVRs are these days. Just shrill an more shrill.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know what you're experiencing from that description (how loud is it in terms of spl at what distance from the speakers?). Since the Pioneer has about half the power output than your Yamaha, hard to think power is the issue. I've still got old 2ch gear (separates, haven't had a 2ch receiver for about 40 years when I changed to separates), haven't found it particularly different like that with different electronics in general either, either the separates or modern avrs. I find new avrs to be quite good myself, altho I haven't had any Yamahas of my own, but a variety of other brands. Yamaha avrs tend to get very good reports, tho. I'd still think its mostly your speakers, tho.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis