Yamaha rxv1400 vs. Onkyo 801

M

mattmatt

Audiophyte
Need help on which of the above is better, plan to pair it mission 780se speakers or volare series.. thanks in advance..feedbacks appreciated..rm size is about 26 sq.m. :confused: :D ;)

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Go With Yamaha

I currently have the RX-V1400. I have had Onkyo receivers and CD players in the past and they died after a couple of years. I do not know what current Onkyo products are like in terms of reliability. You can download the Yamaha manual from their web site, Onkyo does not have the 801 manual on line. But just looking at whats available:

Onkyo does not up convert composite and S video to component, Yamaha does.

The Onkyo lists 20 more watts per channel. Not all channels driven for either unit - small point.

You can connect more speakers to the Yamaha (12) than the Onkyo (8)

The Yamaha has greater expandibility in terms on inputs and outputs with discrete CD recorder and DVD recorder outputs (both analog and digital)

Onkyo has discrete 8 channel inputs form a seperate outboard DAC, Yamaha has 8 too, but only 6 discrete (for the other two, you have the use the DVD input for the front R&L).

Onkyo has 8 channel pre-outs, Yamaha only has 6 channel preouts.

So, whats important to you?

U

Unregistered

Mudcat said:
Onkyo does not have the 801 manual on line.
http://www.onkyousa.com. Click on downloads, then receivers and then keep hitting the next arrow until you see the 801. The stupid list is sorted from oldest to newest so you have to hit the next arrow a few times to see the latest tx-sr models.

Mudcat said:
Onkyo does not up convert composite and S video to component, Yamaha does.
I thought the 801 does upconvert to component, if not the 901 certainly does. The 801 does convert composite to s-video.

U

Unregistered

if you are interested its the 1300 but its used for sale on the polk forum I think for about 400$

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
With Mission speakers I would only use Onkyo and not the Yamaha, they just dont compliment each other well but the final decison should be your ears and not anyone's opinions.

M

mattmatt

Audiophyte
Yamahaluver said:
With Mission speakers I would only use Onkyo and not the Yamaha, they just dont compliment each other well but the final decison should be your ears and not anyone's opinions.
May I pls. know why yamaha dont compliment mission? then what will complement with yamaha? bnw? thats my second choice 602 s3... :eek: ;)

U

Unregistered

mattmatt said:
May I pls. know why yamaha dont compliment mission? then what will complement with yamaha? bnw? thats my second choice 602 s3... :eek: ;)
You need to take statements like 'this receiver compliments these speakers and not those' with a grain of salt. They are simply opinions and your ears may tell you differently. People like to attach descriptive terms to certain gear and the consensus is that Yamaha sounds 'bright' (emphasizes the highs) whereas Onkyo sounds 'neutral to warm'. They must believe Mission speakers are bright (i haven't heard them) and bright+bright is not a good combo.

If you listen to the combo, you might think they go well together, while others do not.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
mattmatt said:
Unregistered is right, it is my highly subjective opinon, you should let your ears be the final judge. With Yamaha receiver, check out Yamaha's own NS-555/777, Paradigm, Axiom, these combos work quite well with Yamaha's sound IMHO.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
If your Missions are like the one's I've heard, they're fairly dynamic and forward. Yamaha, I think, would accentuate this to a point that would make listening artificial and fatiguing. My suggestion would be to check out Marantz: they have all the options of these two brands, are more musical than the Onkyo, and are flatter and more neutral than the Yamaha. Again this is all my personal opinion, but I'm sure many hear the same. The model you'd be looking at is probably the SR7400.

Accessories4less.com has a lot of Marantz deals.

K

Kyotech

Enthusiast
mattmatt, did you make up your mind yet? I'm in the same boat as you .

mattmatt said:
Need help on which of the above is better, plan to pair it mission 780se speakers or volare series.. thanks in advance..feedbacks appreciated..rm size is about 26 sq.m. :confused: :D ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis