Yamaha RXV-661 HDMI stopped working

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Hello,
My receiver in my home theater just stopped working. We watched a blu ray via the PS3 last night with no problem at all. This morning, my wife went to turn on the rig and noted that everything turned on as normal (displays came on) but there was no video on the projector. She also noted that the display on the receiver was flashing on and off as if it weren't receiving a proper signal. So, I changed out the HDMI cables.same thing. I then connected the PS3 directly to the projector and it showed on the screen like it's supposed to. I then tried the XBOX 360, also connected to the receiver via HDMI. same thing, no sound or display however the display on the receiver does not flash like it did with the PS3. Connected the HDMI out from the xbox 360 right to the projector, and again it displayed on the projector screen. One more thing I did was to test the component in and out on the receiver. It works fine, no problems at all via the cable box.

So, I have an HDMI problem isolated to the receiver (in or out, can't tell). I tried to unplug it for awhile to see if that would help and it didn't. So, is the receiver shot? I could have it repaired, but it's likely not worth it given its age and original cost. Any other ideas to try?

Thanks,
Pat

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,
My receiver in my home theater just stopped working. We watched a blu ray via the PS3 last night with no problem at all. This morning, my wife went to turn on the rig and noted that everything turned on as normal (displays came on) but there was no video on the projector. She also noted that the display on the receiver was flashing on and off as if it weren't receiving a proper signal. So, I changed out the HDMI cables.same thing. I then connected the PS3 directly to the projector and it showed on the screen like it's supposed to. I then tried the XBOX 360, also connected to the receiver via HDMI. same thing, no sound or display however the display on the receiver does not flash like it did with the PS3. Connected the HDMI out from the xbox 360 right to the projector, and again it displayed on the projector screen. One more thing I did was to test the component in and out on the receiver. It works fine, no problems at all via the cable box.

So, I have an HDMI problem isolated to the receiver (in or out, can't tell). I tried to unplug it for awhile to see if that would help and it didn't. So, is the receiver shot? I could have it repaired, but it's likely not worth it given its age and original cost. Any other ideas to try?

Thanks,
Pat
Try a reset back to factory default and redo your set up. If that fixes it fine. If not you need a new HDMI board. You say it is an older receiver, so a new board may not be available. In any event this will cost you about $180 to $200. If the receiver is older and not up to date, it is not worth it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis