Yamaha RX-Z1 Subwoofer support

T

tbabb

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>This is my first post here, so be kind. &nbsp;

I'm considering puchasing a Yamaha RX-Z1 to replacing my aging Yamaha HTR-5490. After reading the well done review at audioholics by &nbsp;Gene DellaSala, I became confused as to the limitations of the subwoofer bass crossover settings. &nbsp;Specifically the fixed and non defeatable 90Hz global crossover.

My question is this... Why is this a disadvantage to have a fixed crossover point? &nbsp; If a subwoofer can adjust it's cross over point, would this still be a issue? &nbsp;Hopefully someone can explain this to me because I just don't get it.

Thanks in Advance.

Tim</font>

<font color='#000080'>Because the frequencies being rerouted from the mains, center and surrounds is fixed. If you then set your sub to cross at a lower frequency, say 60Hz, the frequencies from the fixed 90Hz down to 60Hz are essentially gone (not taking slope into account).</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>This problem can be overcome to a certain extent by using large bass capable towers and setting the sub out to BOTH and main speaker to LARGE in the speaker setup in your receiver.</font>

A

abe

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>For 2 channel music, there is perfect solution for this, by REL subwoofers.   They have adjustable LFE and High Pass inputs. So you can use the 'high pass' to blend the sub with the main speakers with NO frequency gap!

But for movies with DD/DTS where LFE is mandatory, there is no way you can defeat the fixed x-over without some compromise.  Well again, sound quality is not as demanding for movies as for music.

so bottom line is: for movies use the fixed x-over, e.g. 90Hz.  for music use adjustable x-over.

Abe</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Abe is absolutely right, sadly the high pass filter is found on Yamaha's newer YST SW1500 but not on my YST-SW800.</font>

T

tbabb

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks,

That info helps. &nbsp;The fixed crossover is same as mine is now in my HTR-5490. I have large fronts and they go down without dropoff to about 38 hz, so I think it not be an issue for me for movies.

Tim</font>

G

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
hawke : <font color='#000000'>Because the frequencies being rerouted from the mains, center and surrounds is fixed. If you then set your sub to cross at a lower frequency, say 60Hz, the frequencies from the fixed 90Hz down to 60Hz are essentially gone (not taking slope into account).</font>
<font color='#000000'>ok.. i'm not an audiophile... i'm in the learning stage.. so bear with me..

you have the crossover in the receiver (say the HTR-5690 by Yammy) which is at 90hz.. and you have a sub with a variable crossover from 40-120hz let's say.. if you set the sub at 40hz.. do you lose ALL of the signal from 40-90?.. i saw someone mentioned &quot;slope&quot; and i don't know what that means..

please explain..

thanks..</font>

T

tbabb

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I believe if you did not have the Yamaha set to &quot;both&quot;, meaning low frequencies are sent to both sub, and fronts, you would have a dropoff of those frequencies.

Tim</font>

G

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
tbabb : <font color='#000000'>I believe if you did not have the Yamaha set to &quot;both&quot;, meaning low frequencies are sent to both sub, and fronts, you would have a dropoff of those frequencies.

Tim</font>
<font color='#000000'>will this effect the sound quality of the fronts (by using both)?.. can you still use the sub pre out?.. or do you have to hook it up differently?..</font>

T

tbabb

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I would imagine if your fronts are large enough to produce bass down to where your subwoofer takes over, it would work out well. &nbsp; That is at least what I'm planning to try an do. &nbsp;I get usable bass (no db dropoff) down to about 38 hz with my fronts.

I havent tested this yet as I am still awating shipment of my SVS subwoofer.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis