Yamaha RX-V765 7.2 Home Theater Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
While you can get into an entry level receiver these days for under $300, there are some serious advantages to stepping it up a notch. If you want advanced functionality like video upconversion, higher quality amplifiers and advanced connectivity options, Yamaha's RX-V765, with its typical selling price of just $649.95 gives consumers a way to get into a fully-functioning HDMI-equipped AV receiver without breaking the bank. The receiver has four HDMI inputs, each of which are capable of reading and decoding the new high resolution audio formats. This provides a great way to feed four components into a newer HDMI-equipped HD television. Because these HDMI inputs decode the latest HD audio formats, you can finally say goodbye to optical or multi-channel 7.1 analogue audio sources.

Discuss "Yamaha RX-V765 7.2 Home Theater Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
FYI - The Yamaha RX-V565 is being displayed in the article. Not the 765. Just thought it should be known in case a change wants to be made.:)

J

joelsoh

Audiophyte
Confused

Hi,

I don't know much about audio, currently using a Sony HT-SS360 .. please don't judge me. But I was wondering, what do you mean by "you can finally say goodbye to optical or multi-channel 7.1 analogue audio sources"?
I am planning on getting the yamaha v565 and hoping to slowly add paradigm speakers (mini monitors) to it. Currently, my I use a optical chord from my Sony HT-SS360 to my tv.. are you saying that i won't need to do that anymore with the RX-V765?

Thanks

E

evandy

Enthusiast
Component-Video/Audio connections

Hey, I took a look at Yamaha's site, and couldn't figure this one out, even from the manual:

Is there any way to configure the receiver to have a Component-Video/Analog-Audio input? I'll admit it: I have a Wii. I'd like to be able to use that option.

O

once1234

Audiophyte
Disappointing

I've had this receiver on loan for a little while as a first look into home theatre. As a middle of the road receiver I was hoping it could replace my Harman Kardon HK-670 stereo amp - boy was I wrong. I've spent an evening flicking between the two, and the Yamaha is woefully lacking in midrange and bass for general music listening. The comment about it being "too forward" is also bang on - it's much to "bright" a sound. My wife summed it up, saying that it just wasn't relaxing to listen to. Perhaps I'm expecting too much, but I can't really justify an amp and a receiver. The HK-670 weighs much more than the RX-V765, and I'm guessing power supply partially contributes to a light weight bottom end.

Looping the pre-out on the RX-V765 to the HK-670 was a good compromise, as the pre-amp didn't appear to disturb the sound too much.

However, I haven't had much luck with the auto lipsync with my Panasonic Plasma (new) so the Yamaha is going back to the shop. Watching Iron Man on BluRay (through the RX-V765) had worse lipsync through the RX-V765 with HDMI Auto (lipsync) enabled than the Monitor Out on my Plasma. Disappointing.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
've had this receiver on loan for a little while as a first look into home theatre. As a middle of the road receiver I was hoping it could replace my Harman Kardon HK-670 stereo amp - boy was I wrong. I've spent an evening flicking between the two, and the Yamaha is woefully lacking in midrange and bass for general music listening. The comment about it being "too forward" is also bang on - it's much to "bright" a sound. My wife summed it up, saying that it just wasn't relaxing to listen to. Perhaps I'm expecting too much, but I can't really justify an amp and a receiver. The HK-670 weighs much more than the RX-V765, and I'm guessing power supply partially contributes to a light weight bottom end.

Looping the pre-out on the RX-V765 to the HK-670 was a good compromise, as the pre-amp didn't appear to disturb the sound too much.

However, I haven't had much luck with the auto lipsync with my Panasonic Plasma (new) so the Yamaha is going back to the shop. Watching Iron Man on BluRay (through the RX-V765) had worse lipsync through the RX-V765 with HDMI Auto (lipsync) enabled than the Monitor Out on my Plasma. Disappointing.
Harman Kardon makes some nice A/V receivers now in the same price range as the Yamaha. You should look into one of those as an alternative.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Hey, I took a look at Yamaha's site, and couldn't figure this one out, even from the manual:

Is there any way to configure the receiver to have a Component-Video/Analog-Audio input? I'll admit it: I have a Wii. I'd like to be able to use that option.
Yamaha in many of their latest AVRs did not permit the user to configure analog audio along with component video inputs such as the Wii..
However they since have come out with firmware updates that now allows this configuration. Check the Yamaha site, click downloads for more info...

Just my $0.00... ;)

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Use the analogue audio connection as your input device (Audio 1 or 2). Select that as your input device, then hit OPTION on the remote. Change the VIDEO source to whatever your component is connected to (AV1 or 2). Problem solved. If you cannot do this, then a firmware upgrade is required to allow this method.
So basically you are using the Audio 1 (or 2) as the input device and assigning the video from another device (AV1 or 2) to it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis