Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Try this option. First, make sure Yamaha is running lastest firmware. Connect all devices to the Yamaha and the Yamaha to the TV’s ARC input with HDMI-CEC set to on in all devices. Now, press the Home button on the Samsung remote control. Move left over to the Source tile. The Yamaha should show as a source. Move up to highlight the Yamaha tile. You will see a small arrow appear at the top of the tile. Press up on the remote control. Three options appear. Go to the top of the list for Anynet+(HDMI-CEC). Select it and a list of your controllable devices appears. You can select refresh if any of your devices are missing from the list. Selecting a device will allow control of it with the TV remote control. Does it show all of your devices? Select one of them and see if it works. If the remote control activates a device function, the Yamaha should switch to that devices input. When setup this way, using the remote control from one of the devices that is now connected via HDMI-CEC should turn on the TV and the Yamaha when they are off. Turning off the TV with it’s remote control or the device remote control should turn everything off.

M

marcw

Enthusiast
[B]Trebdp83[/B], Something weird, I did what you said and the 1st time it worked. It showed my fios and tuner . When I clicked on fios, it changed source. Great, Tried again and the only thing i see if vms4100(fios) nothing else. I then added an old samsung blu ray to see if that would show in the list. I plugged all in and manually changed the inputs and the blu-ray worked, but still not in the anynet list. I did a full reset of everything, tv, avr, fios. Still not seeing anything in the list.

After 2 hours, i need to go deal with life and turned off the everything, now the TV will not turn off. I turn off everything and the tv. 1 minute later the tv turns back on. I turn it off and it turns back on, I will try to unplug the hdmi cables 1 by one and see who is turning the rv back on.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Make sure Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) is turned on in the blu-ray player. Samsung TVs tend to be a bit glitchy with HDMI Control. I've had to unplug the TV power cord for a minute after changing cables and devices on my TV just to get a fresh start. The option you are using now can be inconvenient and is not fully functional in using all of your device functions. Another option is to use the Universal Remote function from the TV. Simply leave everything connected as is with no settings adjustments to HDMI-CEC. Go to the Universal Remote Function setting in the TV. Start with the first device. You want it to be the home theater system. It will bring up a list of avr makers. Select the Yamaha and test the power ON/OFF function. If all is well, go on to next device. Remember that each device is going through the Yamaha and is not connected directly to the TV when it asks for the type of connection for each device. When completed, go to your source tile in the Smart Hub and you will see each of the devices except for the Yamaha as it is now a pass-through device. So, fios box should read as Yamaha-fios or something similar with an icon of a home theater system. Setting up three devices should give you three source tiles. Selecting one of them will give you control of the device using the TV remote control and pressing one of the functioning buttons should change the Yamaha to the corresponding input for the device. This will also give you volume and mute control of the Yamaha with the TV remote control. If there are any sound issues, bring up the Smart Hub with the Home button on the TV remote control and move over to the Settings tile. Quick Setting tiles will appear and you will see the one for Sound Settings. Make sure it is set to Receiver. If you choose to use one of the TV Smart apps, the Yamaha should switch to the TV input.

M

marcw

Enthusiast
Thanks for everyone support, I will tell you if I have success or if I have another question. I always had a backup plan and might go with the plan, because it is convenient for the family. If I hijacked the thread, I apologize.

My backup plan is much simpler than the Samsung CEC quirks. I use google home with smartthings where smarthings calls the yamaha URI(receivers web server) I have 3 calls, I use but there can be many more. If anyone needs a walkthrough, please ask.

My commands
Ok google turn receiver on/off - This turns all on,( when turning off the tv comes back on, I will work on that)
ok google turn fios on/off - This turns the receiver to the fios input or chromecast.(the blu ray was for testing my issue) So I only need on/off. If I want i can call any input.

I know music cast does something similar, but ok google call action .[something to do] was too long.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for everyone support, I will tell you if I have success or if I have another question. I always had a backup plan and might go with the plan, because it is convenient for the family. If I hijacked the thread, I apologize.

My backup plan is much simpler than the Samsung CEC quirks. I use google home with smartthings where smarthings calls the yamaha URI(receivers web server) I have 3 calls, I use but there can be many more. If anyone needs a walkthrough, please ask.

My commands
Ok google turn receiver on/off - This turns all on,( when turning off the tv comes back on, I will work on that)
ok google turn fios on/off - This turns the receiver to the fios input or chromecast.(the blu ray was for testing my issue) So I only need on/off. If I want i can call any input.

I know music cast does something similar, but ok google call action .[something to do] was too long.
Your good bro, sometimes its better than starting another Thread. @Trebdp83 give you some really good tips, well done Trebdp83!.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Gmoney! Well, if I can help just one person waste as much time fiddling with devices and getting frustrated...;) Silly what it takes to get devices to work together properly with HDMI Control sometimes. And people wonder why I cry about the lack of Universal Remote Controls with most AVRs.:D

M

marcw

Enthusiast
Hey Gmoney! Well, if I can help just one person waste as much time fiddling with devices and getting frustrated...;) Silly what it takes to get devices to work together properly with HDMI Control sometimes. And people wonder why I cry about the lack of Universal Remote Controls with most AVRs.:D
Can TV makers make a setting in the TV to make it into a dumb monitor and turn all features off except the display settings that need to be used just for video? Let the AVR do the work.

W

WMalinak

Audioholic Intern
I found a feature in the AVR that I really like. All settings can be controlled by a webpage. No need for the remote. Just point a browser to http://X.X.X.X/Setup/ where x.x.x.x is the ip of the unit
Agreed.
The browser version is best for setup & configuration. You can get to many more details and faster especially for SCENES...use the! Still lacks any type of help (in context).

Next, I'd use MusicCast, especially to switch among choices in user-time (e.g., Tidal to Pandora; Pandora station1 to station2).

However, if you've setup you SCENES properly, life is easy. You can use 8 pre-defined SCENES (1-4 plus the 4 colored buttons) from phone or remote or browser AND loop through PRESETS within a SCENE (via bottom 2 buttons on remote).

Using these tiers, from power-user to one-button-and-done-user, has satisfied all members of my family.

Be Safe (and use SCENES)
==>BillM

W

WMalinak

Audioholic Intern
If you want to use the SCENES 5-8 you need to enable them.
While you can do that on-screen, again easier in the browser:
1611106993627.png

M

marcw

Enthusiast
I have a dumb question, how do i tell what mode the sound is playing in? I am watching disney+ captain marvel, the front panel is stating F C S is all in use. DSP surround mode is in Sci-Fi. Great and sound good. How do I know if it is dolby, dobly +,... I have 5.1 setup. The popup display states Channel in 3/2/0.1 DD+ Chanel out is 5.1.0. I have not seen the Dolby output displayed in days, maybe i changed something? Any clues?

Is dsp surround modef from DD+ or is the AVR converting something?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I have a dumb question, how do i tell what mode the sound is playing in? I am watching disney+ captain marvel, the front panel is stating F C S is all in use. DSP surround mode is in Sci-Fi. Great and sound good. How do I know if it is dolby, dobly +,... I have 5.1 setup. The popup display states Channel in 3/2/0.1 DD+ Chanel out is 5.1.0. I have not seen the Dolby output displayed in days, maybe i changed something? Any clues?

Is dsp surround modef from DD+ or is the AVR converting something?
Which of your devices are you using to stream Disney+? You should be seeing Dolby Atmos from Marvel movies on Disney+ from certain devices.

M

marcw

Enthusiast
I tried from disney+ from the tv app and chromecast 4k connected to the avr, both had the same display on the avr. When using the tv app, the onscreen info is not shown. Only info I have is on the avr lcd screen.
I just remembered I turned of earc on the tv this morning, trying to figure this out. After I turned it on, it still does not say dolby, but now it says straight.
PXL_20210124_021742032.jpg

As for the cc4k, I just googled and disney+ has a bug and does not out put dolby atmos at the moment.

Tomorrow I will try netflix.

M

marcw

Enthusiast
Screenshot_20210123-220518.png

I did not have that menu item on my receiver, just check the settings and it was on skip mode. I will check the status in the morning, thank you.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Also in settings, where it says speakers, your setting must be set to, 7.1, or 5.1.2, in order to display Atmos. If your in"Basic" setup in speaker, Atmos will Not show up on your display. Also if set to 5.1 bi-amp, Atmos will not show up.

M

marcw

Enthusiast
thanks, I figured out the issue, it was a setting on the units display. I had decoder to be skipped when cycling through the menu items. The physical way of turning on/off a setting using the knobs is a little awkward, I removed playing with it. I turned it off.

Gmoney, my speaker setting was correct, but when i went into the setting, i saw all my speakers were set to large. I know I never did that. But it is fixed know. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis