Yamaha rx-v450 vs. Onkyo TX-SR601

U

Unregistered

I am about to spend around $300 for a reciever to drive my 125W 6ohms speakers. I wanted a home theater setup eventually. Not familiar with reciever, I went over to the GoodGuys, and they were telling how much better the RX-V450 is over the Onkyo TXSR601. Not sure if there are in the same category. All I know is, I want a receiver that is around $300 with 6.1 surround capabilities.

I noticed on some online store, they were selling refurbished TXSR601 for around $250. Not sure if this is a good deal either or what kind of problem I will encounter down the road.

Another question, the Yamaha HTR-5740, is it the same as rx-450?

Need your expertise....
Thanks in advance.

Confused.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
The receiver that is superior is the one you prefer in terms of sonics and features. The Yamaha may have a few more features than the Onkyo. Listen to them and decide which you prefer. The HTR line is almost identical to the RXV, but the concensus is the RXV has a slight advantage. Unless you get a good deal, stick to it.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
re-furbs

Most people use the 70 % rule on re-furbs. They should be no more than 70 % of the normal selling (not the MSRP, the street price) to offset the risk you are taking. So in your case, 70% of $ 300 would be $ 210. Look good and hard at the warranty, as some companies will give you a two year warranty on a new system, but only 90 days on a refurb.

The one good thing about refurbs is that the (US) labor to fix one is more expensive than the parts that go in it. As a result, they are more likely to replace an entire module rather than troubleshoot individual pieces. So your whole system should be as good as "new". If there is a recurring problem, it would probably happen again during your warranty.

The fact that it's a 601 instead of a 602 is a good sign. If they are already blanket selling a brand new model like the 602, that implies quality problems. The 601 has been around long enough that just occasional escapes or, more likely, misuses are showing up on the market. It still wouldn't hurt to check out some various consumer boards to see if there was a re-call or a large number of complaints about that particular model.

If you do your research, a refurb can be a solid investment. Just be sure you know what you are getting into.

U

Unregistered

Dont Buy either!!
For $290 you can buy a brand new (nonrefurbished) Yamaha RX-V550 from Etronics.com (This includes shipping). I remember the price when I was on their website ordering some Infinity speakers. Im sure that there are other of Internet deals as well. But I have used Etronics many times and never had a problem.

U

Unregistered

Without looking I'm guessing this does include the Yamaha warranty. Be careful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis