Yamaha RX-V2400/2500 Up-Conversion...Real or Gimmick?

dm_4u

dm_4u

Junior Audioholic
For those with the Yamaha RX-V2400/2500 Receiver...a question:

If you have an S-Video cable from a satellite receiver going into the Yammy...and Component Video cable going from the Yammy to the tv...is the picture really up-converted, (much like the dvd up-converters), and therefore have better picture quality. :D

Or...is the picture quality the same...and the only advantage being one cable to the tv? :confused:

J

JeffreyDJ

Junior Audioholic
Mine *DOES* look considerably better than s-video in. (I'm starting with a fairly clean image to begin with from DTV).

There are differing opinions on this one, but here's my thinking: At the very least. if you can get the component image into your TV, most HD compatible TV's will also try to convert to a progressive source -- that alone should help some in the conversion.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
the main advantage is really the one cable issue....I could not detect any difference on my TV. Yamaha doesn't claim any picture quality advantage either.

As the above poster hinted, some TV's will do better when fed component video.

dm_4u

dm_4u

Junior Audioholic
warpdrive said:
the main advantage is really the one cable issue....I could not detect any difference on my TV. Yamaha doesn't claim any picture quality advantage either.

As the above poster hinted, some TV's will do better when fed component video.
I was afraid of that...I was under the illusion that Yamaha's "up-conversion", was similar to that of the up-conversion of the newer dvd players that do a real up-convert to 1080i :(

J

JeffreyDJ

Junior Audioholic
No, it won't do that. There's only so much they can do to get a better picture from a standard analog source picture. Even the HD DVD players, in my opinion, aren't that much better then a normal 3:2 pulldown progressive player.

That, and the upconversion on DVD players will send the signal through DVI/HDMI -- so it's a digital signal. I figure with HDTV and Blue-Ray/DVD-HD coming soon, it's not worth me worrying about an upconversion on an analog TV source.

Others may disagree, but that's my opinion.

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
Nope, same quality, just the conveinence of only running 1 set of wires to TV, and no need to switch inputs. It doesn't actually up convert the quality of the signal at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis