Yamaha RX-V 77 Series A/V Receiver Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Fresh for 2014, Yamaha has a new batch of A/V receivers ready to hit the market: the new RX-V 77 lineup features four new models ranging from $450 to $850. Given that the HDMI 2.0 specification was recently finalized, everybody has to jump on board and shout from the rooftops about their support for the new standard. Or do they? Combing through Yamaha's press release and the literature on their website, you're not likely to find much mention of "HDMI 2.0". What the heck is going on here you ask? Keep reading to find out.

Discuss "Yamaha RX-V 77 Series A/V Receiver Preview" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mychaelp

Enthusiast
Nice! The 577 now comes with built-in WiFi as you noted, along with the extra two channels. Do you know if the extra two channels can be used for stereo sound in another room? What about a 2nd source in that room? I read here AV Receiver Guide - Home Theater Receivers where it's compared with the Denon E300 and was considering it instead or the E400, mainly due to the YPAO that I'm not too familiar with. Although with Audyssey I have had issues with my Onkyo setting all the speakers at a negative db, all the way down to -10! ouch. Makes for an odd listening experience. Does Yamaha's YPAO work better? I've ended up adjusting by ear instead.
Anyone here have one to try out the WiFi range? I'd imagine it doesn't need too strong a signal if it's just receiving audio only signals.
Thanks for the "preview" now anxiously awaiting the full review.

W

wolfchen

Audiophyte
The HDMI version is indeed important, and the 2.0 version is soon outdated.
8K video is soon on its way, like it or not. HDMI 2.1 will allow faster refresh rates so as to allow 8K resolution video at 60 frames per second and 4K at 120 frames per second. In other words, HDMI 2.0 is not at all adequate for running such higher resolutions.
Were I to update my receiver, so as to be at least be a little prepared for the arrival of 8k with HDR, I'd wait for one with a minimum of HDMI 2.1 ports. 8K @ 120 fps and HDR with Dolby standards...now that's being a bit future proof for the coming video models. As you may be aware, 8K will be making its appearance in Japan...2019. Even though it will take longer to have broadcasting at that resolution, it will still be very valuable for graphic artists.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis