Yamaha Rx-v 2500 problem

J

Jimmy DK

Audiophyte
My Reciever switches off, and writes "check SP Wires", when I am watching movies with high volume sound.

I have checked the cables to the speakers, and they are properly connected.

They should all be 8 ohm, but perhaps some of them have a defect ?

Anyone having experienced this problem ?

Jimmy DK

Last edited:
J

Jimmy DK

Audiophyte
Yes I have seen this.

But I have no nails in my cables, and the problem is only with rather loud volume (But not to loud I think).

G

gwilav

Enthusiast
Your receiver is seeing a short somewhere, check your speaker connections at the receiver and at the speakers (it only takes a couple of strands of wire touching to shut down the receiver at high levels). Make sure not to strip your wires to long it makes it more likely you will get a short. The other possibility is a bad woofer or mid-bass driver in your speakers. A speaker can be bad and still play. A voice coil can short inside the speaker and shut down your receiver.

J

Jimmy DK

Audiophyte
I think the problem is my center speaker, B&W CC6.
When I turn down volume on this speaker, then I have no problem.

I have changed the reciever setting from 8 to 6 ohm or higher. (I have 8 Ohm speakers, according to their specs.)

This has eliminated the problem so far.

My reciever has the YPAO function, and apparently it cannot measure a defect on the speaker, and the frequency curve of the center speaker also seems to be ok.

So, I think the problem is, that the center speaker is not 8 Ohm, but more likely 6 or 7 ohm, which could give the reciever problems, if it is set up for 8 ohm or more.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis