Yamaha RX-V 2400 vs Denon 5803

H

Harry Chin

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I need some advise and guidance on whether I should buy a Yamaha RX-V 2400 A/V receiver or a Denon 5803 A/V receiver.

My main speakers are Martin Logan Sequel II speakers, my center channel is a Martin Logan Logos center channel, my surround speakers are ADS speakers.  My amplifier is a NAD 208. My surround processor is a Yamaha DSP-A1000.  I am planning to replace the Yamaha DSP-A1000 with a Yamaha RX-V2400 or Denon 5803.  I can get a great deal on a new Denon 5803 for about $3,000. Should I spend the extra $2,100 for the Denon 5803. &nbsp;I do realize that my Yamaha DSP A1000 is ancient technology and the Yamaha RX-V2400 would be a tremendous improvement.

What are the benefits of the Denon 5803 versus the Yamaha RX-V2400 in terms of performance for my Martin Logan speakers using the NAD 208 as my amplifier.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>The more apt comparison with the Denon 5803 would be the Yamaha RX-Z1 and not the RXV-2400 and between both I would consider the Denon to be a better match with Martin Logan speakers.</font>

A

abe

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Well, you will have to balance cost vs. performance. &nbsp; Does 5803 provide 300% of performance of 2400 ?? &nbsp;Highly unlikely. &nbsp; If money is not an issue for you then yes go with 5803. &nbsp; Personaly I would choose 2400 if I were you. &nbsp;

I am using 1400 with Dynaudio Special 25's and totally happy! not even have to go to 2400.

Abe</font>

H

Harry Chin

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>yahamaluver and abe,

Thanks for your posts and insightful information.  When I was doing research on the web I came across an interesting comparison of the Denon 5803, Yamaha RX-V2400, a Sirius (sp?) A/V receiver, and another A/V receiver that rated and compared them on a point scale.  Unfortunately, I did not book mark the web site/article and now can't find the comparison.  The Denon 5803 scored about 2500 points out of a total of I believe 2800 points and the Yamaha scored about 1950 points out of 2800 points.  Have you seen the rating/points/comparison?

Also upon further research on the web, I can buy the Yamaha RX-V2400 for about $680 to $750 brand new from the online electronic web sites excluding shipping.  So we are now look at a cost difference of upwards of 400% for the Denon 5803.

I found Gene DellaSala's December 8, 2003 product review of the Yamaha RX-V2400 on the Audioholics web site to be very insightful.  It would appreciate if Mr. DellaSala could give me some advice on what he considers to be the better A/V receiver for my Martin Logan speakers taking into consideration cost and performance. What does an extra $2.300 get me in terms of performance.  Note, my familay and I listen to about 5 to 6 CD's per week and watch 1 to 2 DVD's per week.

On October 8, 2003, Mr. Dellasala wrote a FAQs communiction for the Yamaha RX-V2400 in Audioholics.

One of the questions that popped up in his head when he was unboxing the Yamaha RX-V2400 and persuing the user manual was Simultaneous Front Efeects  and Surround Back Channels.  He asked the question: If an external amp is used for the front main channels, can the front main channel RX-V2400 be rerouted to the Front Effects channels so that Front Effects and the Surround Speakers can be used at the same time.  His response to the question was: No, this option is not supported on the RX-V2400.

What does this mean from a performance perspective when I  use my NAD 208 amplifier to drive the Martin Logan Series Sequel II's?  I believe my NAD 208 amplifier is rated at 250 W per channel.  If I purchase the Yamaha RX-V2400 does this mean I won't be able to use the NAD 208 amp and RX-V2400 to maximum performance when they are routed to the Martin Logan Series Sequel II's?</font>

H

Harry Chin

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I did find the rating/point comparison for the Yamaha RX-V2400 to the Denon 5803. &nbsp;Low and behold it was written by Gene Dellasala In December 2003 and all I had to do was click on the web link on page 6 of 6 of his informative review of the Yahama RX-V2400 dated December 8, 2003.

As a newcomer to this mesage board and the Audioholics forum, I am verfy impressed with the audioholics web site and forum. &nbsp;I look forward to reading the responses to my post and appreciate the advice and honesty of the posters who have replied to my initial post.</font>

R

rootbeer

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>what the hell is the deal with yami not putting gold rca jacks on the rx-vx400's? (not a typo)</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis