Yamaha RX-A3080 or Pioneer SC-LX904

Tomas Fischer

Audiophyte
Hello team,
I am thinking about upgrading my AVR and I am on the fence between the Yamaha RX-A3080 and Pioneer SC-LX904. Did some of you managed to get their hand (and ears) on both units and could give me honest opinion on both? Does the extra $1,000 for the SC-LX904 ($2,999) makes the unit THAT much better than the Yamaha ($1,999).
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Regardless of price, even if the Yamaha cost a little more than the Pioneer, I would get the Yamaha.

Reasons:
1. Reliability
2. Compatibility
3. Best WiFi Remote App
4. Great Music Streaming with MusicCast
5. 7-band Parametric EQ for all speakers, 4-band Parametric EQ for 2 subs. Pioneer/Onkyo, and Denon/Marantz only use Graphic EQ, which isn't very good compared to Parametric EQ.
6. Awesome customer service - whether it is bought New or Refurbished, Yamaha will pay for Shipping BOTH ways for service repair. Denon/Marantz and Pioneer/Onkyo will make you pay for shipping one way for repair.

As for the sound quality, when level-matched and using the same Direct Modes (bypass EQ and DSP), Yamaha, Pioneer, and all other brands will be equal.

As for Power, if you actually need more power, adding an external amp would be the best thing to do. But internally, the Yamaha can output almost 300 Watts x 2 Ch into 4 ohms and almost 200 Watts x 2 Ch into 8 ohms.

What about All Channels Driven (ACD)? Don't worry about it. ACD is for the birds. No, just kidding. :D But seriously, in real world applications, we do not see ACD. If other channels are simultaneously driven, the power requirement would be extremely low for the surrounds.

As for the power output of the Pioneer, I don't know of the actual measurements.

If I ever sell my Denon AVR-5308CI (339W x 2Ch 4 ohms, 235W x 2Ch 8 ohms), I would get the RX-A3080. :D

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
+1 . Almost all of my electronics are Yamaha..and all of my AVRs are Yamaha.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd first ask what are you looking for from the "upgrade"? What do you have now and what are you looking to gain?

Tomas Fischer

Audiophyte
I'd first ask what are you looking for from the "upgrade"? What do you have now and what are you looking to gain?
Thanks for your reply. Currently I have an older Yamaha RX-A1030 which I have no issues with. I just like to do a "refresh" every 5 or so years and get current on new tech. The goal is to have very good 5.2 system for music and movies that is somewhat "Future proof". I recently purchased pair of SVS Prime Pinnacle towers, pair of SB-2000 Pro subs, Ultra Center and Ultra Surround speakers.
I like to tinker with REW to get the most out of what I have and enjoy high quality music at lower volumes.

My question was just a curiosity what you guys think about the new Pioneer SC-LX904 and if that AVR was worth the $1,000 dollars more than the Yamaha 3080. I would prefer the Yamaha since my last few AVRs were all Yamaha and never had any issues.

Thanks...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your reply. Currently I have an older Yamaha RX-A1030 which I have no issues with. I just like to do a "refresh" every 5 or so years and get current on new tech. The goal is to have very good 5.2 system for music and movies that is somewhat "Future proof". I recently purchased pair of SVS Prime Pinnacle towers, pair of SB-2000 Pro subs, Ultra Center and Ultra Surround speakers.
I like to tinker with REW to get the most out of what I have and enjoy high quality music at lower volumes.

My question was just a curiosity what you guys think about the new Pioneer SC-LX904 and if that AVR was worth the $1,000 dollars more than the Yamaha 3080. I would prefer the Yamaha since my last few AVRs were all Yamaha and never had any issues.

Thanks...
For a 5.2 system what does the 3080 have over your 1030? Off hand maybe ability to handle two subs with separate level/delay? Slightly stronger amp section? Atmos/DTS:X (which you don't seem to need)? Music-cast connectivity? I haven't really looked but OTOH 5 years isn't that long a time nor have any avrs really proved to be future proof particularly :) My last Pioneer crapped out and since combining with Onkyo they just haven't appealed to me and I'd tend to think the Yamaha flagship is a better choice myself, plus you're already familiar with the Yamaha layouts and terminology.

As to REW that's just a measurement system....to implement any eq suggested by REW you're going to either have to manually implement it via the Yamaha's built in PEQ or use external amps so you can insert something like a miniDSP to implement. Not a bad idea, particularly for sub setup, tho.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am very pro Yamaha right now, mainly due my attempt at using an Onkyo receiver, and recent really negative experience with Marantz customer service.

My recent Yamaha AVR purchase at Costco: TSR 7850 for my outdoor setup has made me a convert. For $400, the build quality is heads above anything in that price range. The setup was easy, and they actually give you a usable, very nice remote. I am starting to understand why Yamaha is rated so high on reliability, the unit just feels solid.

I have an integra 30.5 AVR which I am looking to sell, it has served me well, but even then I would not consider buying its retail grade Onkyo. Since Onkyo and Pioneer are under the same umbrella right now, they would not be one I would look at.

I have been a Marantz user since about 2009 and haven't looked back...until last week when my NR1609 Antenna broke off with no excessive force. I thought warranty would cover it, but I was accused of abusing my system. So bye bye Marantz I am done :).

I have a Marantz 8802A right now, so I have no need to switch it out at this point, but when I do, it will most likely be Yamaha.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am very pro Yamaha right now, mainly due my attempt at using an Onkyo receiver, and recent really negative experience with Marantz customer service.

My recent Yamaha AVR purchase at Costco: TSR 7850 for my outdoor setup has made me a convert. For $400, the build quality is heads above anything in that price range. The setup was easy, and they actually give you a usable, very nice remote. I am starting to understand why Yamaha is rated so high on reliability, the unit just feels solid.

I have an integra 30.5 AVR which I am looking to sell, it has served me well, but even then I would not consider buying its retail grade Onkyo. Since Onkyo and Pioneer are under the same umbrella right now, they would not be one I would look at.

I have been a Marantz user since about 2009 and haven't looked back...until last week when my NR1609 Antenna broke off with no excessive force. I thought warranty would cover it, but I was accused of abusing my system. So bye bye Marantz I am done :).

I have a Marantz 8802A right now, so I have no need to switch it out at this point, but when I do, it will most likely be Yamaha.
Wasn’t too long ago when you were surprised I had converted from DM to Yamaha. :D

Only a matter of time....

Yamaha - winning the Audio World over - one audiophile at a time. :D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Wasn’t too long ago when you were surprised I had converted from DM to Yamaha. :D

Only a matter of time....

Yamaha - winning the Audio World over - one audiophile at a time. :D
LOL I knew that was coming, at least you are now a Dolby Atmos Convert! ;). I used to use Yamaha AVRs back in early 2000s never had issue with them back then either. They use to have the fold out insane remote back then

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
LOL I knew that was coming, at least you are now a Dolby Atmos Convert! ;). I used to use Yamaha AVRs back in early 2000s never had issue with them back then either. They use to have the fold out insane remote back then
Seeing (or should I say "Hearing"?) is believing. :D

The problem with Atmos (and DTSX, Auro3D) is that their commercial cinemas suck. To this day, I still haven't heard a good Atmos commercial cinema.

I recall seeing "Gravity" with Atmos for the first time commercially. And my impression was, "WTF? What's so good about this stupid Atmos people are talking about? I don't hear anything different!" :D

So I was an Atmos-skeptic like @Auditor55 for a while. :D

But the HOME Atmos was 100% different.

I think the Atmos-skeptics still have not heard a good Atmos presentation anywhere.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Me too, I had a RX-V659, (that thing is still kicking)probably well before he started pushing Yamaha.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis