Yamaha RX-A3080 Bricked After Update

B

boham1978

Enthusiast
So apparently, yamaha pushed an update July 25 and since mine was on auto update, it started. It failed over and over with an error of 10000. I decided to update via USB and it got further along and now keeps failing with an error of 40000 just when the S6-1 is verifying.

The receiver has never been on WiFi. It is hard lines into the network. I am unable to factory reset it because as soon as it comes on, it looks for the update.

Is this thing bricked for good?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You've tried unplugging it from power for a bit for a soft reset?

B

boham1978

Enthusiast
Yeah I left it unplugged for an hour one day while I was searching for solutions online.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh dang, sorry to hear.

I sang Karaoke today, so when I turned on my 3080, it prompted me for the firmware update, which it completed fine. Everything went great.

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
So apparently, yamaha pushed an update July 25 and since mine was on auto update, it started. It failed over and over with an error of 10000. I decided to update via USB and it got further along and now keeps failing with an error of 40000 just when the S6-1 is verifying.

The receiver has never been on WiFi. It is hard lines into the network. I am unable to factory reset it because as soon as it comes on, it looks for the update.

Try what HD said first, you may have to get in touch with a Yamaha tech. Open ticket via email. They will respond to it. Had a issue with my A4A, not an update issue but long story short, I had to give the Yamaha tech permission to do his thing via Internet. After what he did I asked him what he had done, he stated he had to Flash the processor like start from Scratch. Had an Onkyo back in the day, a Onkyo tech did the same thing. Be surprised what them dudes can do online with remote control of your AVR via internet.

B

boham1978

Enthusiast
Oh dang, sorry to hear.

I sang Karaoke today so when I turned on my 3080, it prompted me for the firmware update, which it completed fine. Everything went great.
Maybe I should carry my family over for some karaoke tonight.:D:D:D:D:D

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General

If it failed while verifying, that means the file is bad.
Try downloading it again...they might have posted a bad version when you first did this.
Also check that your USB is free from errors.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Try downloading it again...they might have posted a bad version when you first did this.
Note to self: always wait 1 month later to do firmware update. :D

B

boham1978

Enthusiast
I actually just did this exact same thing and even used a brand new USB drive just before I made this post.

D

declanjames

Audiophyte

It sounds like you're having trouble with the Yamaha update process. The error codes you mentioned, 10000 and 40000, often indicate issues with the update installation. Since you've tried updating via USB and encountered a new error, it might be worth contacting Yamaha support for assistance. They might have specific troubleshooting steps to help resolve the update issue without resorting to a factory reset. It's always best to reach out to the seller for guidance in situations like this to avoid any potential risks to the device.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It sounds like you're having trouble with the Yamaha update process. The error codes you mentioned, 10000 and 40000, often indicate issues with the update installation. Since you've tried updating via USB and encountered a new error, it might be worth contacting Yamaha support for assistance. They might have specific troubleshooting steps to help resolve the update issue without resorting to a factory reset. It's always best to reach out to the seller for guidance in situations like this to avoid any potential risks to the device.
He has done a factory reset and that did not work.

When an update goes wrong, then far more often than not, a return of the unit to an authorized service center to reflash the BIOS is required.

B

boham1978

Enthusiast
So I sent it to a local Yamaha service center ($148 to look at it). They came back today and said the HDMI board is bad. Ordering another HDMI board is $550 plus installation brings me to about $750 to fix this receiver and if you add the $150 already spent: $900.

So do I spend more than what it's probably worth to fix or just go ahead and bite the bullet on buying a new receiver?

This is my current setup: 7.1.2 setup in the media room plus Zone 2 for two Klipsch patio speakers. There are low plans in the future to replace the front bookshelf speakers with better tower speakers and possibly bi-amping but that's at the back of a very long list. Not sure... Not critical as I am more than happy with what I got.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So I sent it to a local Yamaha service center ($148 to look at it). They came back today and said the HDMI board is bad. Ordering another HDMI board is $550 plus installation brings me to about $750 to fix this receiver and if you add the $150 already spent: $900.

So do I spend more than what it's probably worth to fix or just go ahead and bite the bullet on buying a new receiver?

This is my current setup: 7.1.2 setup in the media room plus Zone 2 for two Klipsch patio speakers. There are low plans in the future to replace the front bookshelf speakers with better tower speakers and possibly bi-amping but that's at the back of a very long list. Not sure... Not critical as I am more than happy with what I got.
That is a quandary. That is a only a five year old model. So it is not quite half way through its expected life span.
However, I think $900 is too much to spend on it, but that is up to you.

The larger issue I have is whether the tech is competent. It seems an odd coincidence that the unit failed during a firmware update. I still have a feeling the update was interrupted due to a momentary drop out on the Internet connection.

I would ascertain if they re-flashed the BIOS, and reloaded the firmware. If the software did not load right, then the HDMI board will be down.

If it were me I would ascertain if they re-flashed the BIOS and reloaded the firmware.

My gut tells me that more likely than not there is incompetence afoot here.

By the way passive bi-amping is a complete waste of time and money.

If you do decide to ditch that receiver, then a much better bet is to get an AVP and external amps. I personally really dislike the whole concept of receivers.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm. Seems like a very short life.

I had my RX-V3300 from 2003 to 2016. It developed a front display issue in 2015 where it would light up for 10 min then go dim but worked fine with the remote. Other than that it worked when I donated it to a friends teenage son.

My RX-A2060 I’ve had since 2016 and is still going strong. I’m hoping to make it many more years if possible. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

On looking back, I see we have had your exact same issue before with that model of Yamaha receiver. We had it in 2022. Now it seems others have had that issue as well, with the HDMI board being destroyed by a firmware update.

I would get hold of Yamaha and tell them they owe you an HDMI board and reimbursement for installation.

If they won't treat you correctly then avoid Yamaha.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$900 is way too much to repair an old AVR. And there’s still no guarantee they can truly fix it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis