Yamaha RX-A2030 sounds worse than RX-A810

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
Every Yamaha AVR has a factory reset. Their manuals are almost useless.

TIL. There was nothing in the manual, and when I searched others confirmed there is no factory reset option. I couldn’t believe it myself at the time so instead I went through every setting.

So, setting the YPAO to “through” has made a pretty big improvement in the sound and removed a lot of that “harsh” and “ultra-precise” noise. It’s still not at the level of the RX-A810, but that might be because I had the YPAO on that one set to “natural”. Possibly the equalizer on that one.... worked, and produced a nicer sound whereas the “improved” YPAO with “room correction” overcorrected something and as a result I can’t really run the equalizer at all.

Actually this makes sense. I *can* do a manual tweak of the YPAO results with the new speaker, but that’s too much work and I don’t trust my own ear for that.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
TIL. There was nothing in the manual, and when I searched others confirmed there is no factory reset option. I couldn’t believe it myself at the time so instead I went through every setting.

So, setting the YPAO to “through” has made a pretty big improvement in the sound and removed a lot of that “harsh” and “ultra-precise” noise. It’s still not at the level of the RX-A810, but that might be because I had the YPAO on that one set to “natural”. Possibly the equalizer on that one.... worked, and produced a nicer sound whereas the “improved” YPAO with “room correction” overcorrected something and as a result I can’t really run the equalizer at all.

Actually this makes sense. I *can* do a manual tweak of the YPAO results with the new speaker, but that’s too much work and I don’t trust my own ear for that.
Did you try the reset described in the link I supplied?

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
Did you try the reset described in the link I supplied?
Not yet, and probably not for a while. I doubt it would help, but if I find time in the coming months I might. Setting the YPAO to "through" made a significant difference, and it's probably the right way to go considering all the speakers (except the rears) are tone-matched.

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
Just ran a YPAO calibration, and I think I finally got the results I want. This time I only did a single location: MLP.

It's incredible.

I suspect that getting a good calibration with Yamaha's updated YPAO requires absolutely IDEAL conditions (blissful silence), because they've integrated this room correction algorithm into it. I say this, because I don't get consistently the same results like I did with my rx-a810.

HOWEVER.

Now I've done the calibration, and I watched the latest episode of Cobra Kai which uses Dolby TrueHD on this receiver, and my mind was blown. At the end of the episode, there was audio where the music seemed to float from above the TV, and the dialogue was coming out of the TV. My front speakers top out in the middle of the TV. IDK how the audio was even coming from up there. How TF does Yamaha even come up with this stuff. Wow.

Also I'm not selling this receiver now lol

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Its just commom sense that the room needs to be made as quiet as possible when running YPAO as the background noise will interfere with the measurements and skew the results. I also dont like multipoint EQ from YPAO or Auddesy (however its spelled) because it averages the sound across a seating area instead of optimizing it for one listener position. Multipoint ALWAYS gave me worse results than singlepoint and singlepoint gave me better results across the seating area than multipoint. Multipoint is a gimmick as far as Im concerned. Its good to hear you have it all figured out.

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
Its just commom sense that the room needs to be made as quiet as possible when running YPAO as the background noise will interfere with the measurements and skew the results. I also dont like multipoint EQ from YPAO or Auddesy (however its spelled) because it averages the sound across a seating area instead of optimizing it for one listener position. Multipoint ALWAYS gave me worse results than singlepoint and singlepoint gave me better results across the seating area than multipoint. Multipoint is a gimmick as far as Im concerned. Its good to hear you have it all figured out.
I’ve always had the room quiet, but I think with yamaha’s “room correction”, it needs to be extra EXTRA quiet. I say this because I haven’t been abale to get consistent results like I did with the RX-A810.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis