Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR Conundrum

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
So my new/used Yamaha RX-A2000 arrived the other day to replace my old RX-V2700. Realistically the 2700 is rated at 140WPC vs. the 2000’s rated 130WPC and I should have left well enough alone but where’s the fun in that? Plus it didn’t help that the carpet installers jostled the unit last year and from all appearances the HDMI board went on to its maker … I wonder if the god Yamaha reanimates the boards if they’ve been good and installs them in refurbished units? ;)

No big deal since 98% of the time I use it for music anyway but I just had to scratch that itch. What if my mother-in-law comes over and asks for a demo? The thought of failure put me into a cold sweat. The 2700 had to go. :mad:

I power up it up and run it as is. The power, soundstage is all there but it needs to be tweaked, no surprise there. Run YPAO. What the hell happened? :eek: I knew how well YPAO massages the data but I am really impressed. I feel like I now have more headroom … seriously. I’m baffled. Or has the design/efficiency/parts of the hardware improved so dramatically in the intervening years? I knew there would be an improvement, having replaced an ancient RX-V4600 with a RX-A3000 but this was completely unexpected, in a good way.

Placebo? Pain meds kickin’ in? All I know is if I’m that RX-V2600 sitting upstairs, I wouldn’t be getting too comfortable right now.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think if you still feel the same after 1 year, then YPAO is the real deal for you.

I still feel that Audyssey DEQ is the best audio invention ever after like 2 years now.

Perhaps YPAO is it for you.

I think that's the key to all AVR/pre-pro sound quality. It's not the amp or preamp section because they all sound about the same in Direct Mode. It's the EQ section that is salient. :)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know what to think. if it is the YPAO ... praise [insert your GOD here].

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
So my new/used Yamaha RX-A2000 arrived the other day to replace my old RX-V2700. Realistically the 2700 is rated at 140WPC vs. the 2000’s rated 130WPC and I should have left well enough alone but where’s the fun in that? Plus it didn’t help that the carpet installers jostled the unit last year and from all appearances the HDMI board went on to its maker … I wonder if the god Yamaha reanimates the boards if they’ve been good and installs them in refurbished units? ;)

No big deal since 98% of the time I use it for music anyway but I just had to scratch that itch. What if my mother-in-law comes over and asks for a demo? The thought of failure put me into a cold sweat. The 2700 had to go. :mad:

I power up it up and run it as is. The power, soundstage is all there but it needs to be tweaked, no surprise there. Run YPAO. What the hell happened? :eek: I knew how well YPAO massages the data but I am really impressed. I feel like I now have more headroom … seriously. I’m baffled. Or has the design/efficiency/parts of the hardware improved so dramatically in the intervening years? I knew there would be an improvement, having replaced an ancient RX-V4600 with a RX-A3000 but this was completely unexpected, in a good way.

Placebo? Pain meds kickin’ in? All I know is if I’m that RX-V2600 sitting upstairs, I wouldn’t be getting too comfortable right now.
Good on you! I had several Yamaha AVRs before my current Denon. I was happy with all of them. Went to the Denon for the 2 sub outputs and because of high praise here. I'm also happy with it. YPAO and Audyssey both gave me a good starting point, but I tweaked both of them to my liking. Played with all the various sound stage setting on both of them, and settled on plain stereo for music and the native format for TV/Movies on both of them. Would be comfortable recommending either. (BTW, both are better w/ pain meds.) ;)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Yamaha AVR's USB port (front panel) Note of Interest:
Yamaha’s AVR USB ports will only work with flash drives formatted with a FAT32 partition and u can only format a FAT32 partition with 32GB flash drives or less. Highly recommend that the files (photos/music/etc.) be put into a folder. The name of the folder doesn’t matter. MP3/FLAC files must be in a folder to be recognized for playback.

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
is there a workaround to the AV2 input? I'd like to listen/edit music files on input AUDIO4 while watching a football game. as soon as I change the input from AV2 to AUDIO4 I loose the video, while the TV is on. I've toggled the various HDMI features with no change. any help appreciated.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
is there a workaround to the AV2 input? I'd like to listen/edit music files on input AUDIO4 while watching a football game. as soon as I change the input from AV2 to AUDIO4 I loose the video, while the TV is on. I've toggled the various HDMI features with no change. any help appreciated.
Dunno on the Yammies, but my Pio has some "vid select" button or something like that, it will let me listen to 1 input and watch a 2nd input. But, I have discovered that it doesn't work for all inputs, I think it's just the digi inputs that work like that (but I haven't tried to use that feature in a while)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Dunno on the Yammies, but my Pio has some "vid select" button or something like that, it will let me listen to 1 input and watch a 2nd input. But, I have discovered that it doesn't work for all inputs, I think it's just the digi inputs that work like that (but I haven't tried to use that feature in a while)
I don't think there is a work around. I thought I'd ask u guys before contacting Yamaha tech support this afternoon. I also purchased a RX-A2040 recently and I'm hoping the issue has been addressed. if so, I'll just re-install my RX-A3000 in the LR and move the 2040 in my office here. kind-a sucks cause my LS-50's in my BR were sounding much better wit the extra juice the 3000 provided. who knows? maybe the 2000 will sound just as sweet up there. I'm thinkin' its the extra power but in reality it could be the advances in the YPAO program over the years. we'll see.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
According to Yamaha tech support the feature set I’m looking for in the 2000 can be done but it’s a bit clunkier and permanent vs. the 2040, which has more flexibility. I’ve included parts of my transcript if anyone is interested … just another reason why I love Yamaha besides the reliability factor.

That can be done. What source are you looking to hear along with TV?

output from my PC to AUDIO4 input

Ok, set the input to AUDIO 4

Then on the remote, press 'OPTION' to display one of the on-screen menus

OK

Select "Input Settings", then "Video Out"

And set it to your desired video source (AV1, AV2, etc)

give me a sec

After changing this setting, video from that source will be shown when the AUDIO 4 input is selected.

let me qualify. I'm working with the RX-A2000 model here in my office. If the 2000 can't do it I will move the 2040 here into my office.

Oh... yes it might be different on that model. Let me pull out that manual.

thank u

Ok, so it can be done on the RX-A2000, but it's a bit clunkier. This is definitely a setting that has been improved over the years.

You'll need to start by connecting the PC to the same input name as the video source

So if the video is going into AV1, connect the CD player to the analog inputs on AV1

ok, hang tight

After making the connection, set the input to AV1 (or wherever you have the devices connected).

Then press 'OPTION' to display the menu

Select "Audio Select"

And set it to "Analog"

ok

This is a permanent setting change, so if you want to hear the audio from the HDMI cable again, you will need to go in and reverse this setting.

so am I better off in moving the 2040 model in here vs. the 2000?

Well, if you had the 2040, there would be no need to change any settings.

Other than the initial one I described earlier.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
How many Yamaha receivers do you own?
7 all together and a Denon in the garage. the missus is not amused. :D I need to sell 3 of them (RX-V1070, RX-V4600 & RX-V2700 or the Denon AVR-75) locally (southeast PA) but other matters have kept me busy. I should post something in the Classifieds but I just haven't gotten around to it. since they're older and the HDMI boards failed on the 4600 & 2700 in the last year and a half I doubt people will be clamoring to buy them. I'm thinking of having a $1 a watt sale. they have great power plants and will be a good deal for anyone who wants a 2.1 setup on the cheap.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
its safe ... for now ... until I can pickup a 3040 and then I play musical AVR's again.
Some time ago I spoke with an individual who regarded the RX-V2600 as an outstanding preamplifier, far surpassing anything of its kind at the time.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Some time ago I spoke with an individual who regarded the RX-V2600 as an outstanding preamplifier, far surpassing anything of its kind at the time.
it's a beast for sure. it's mostly used by Brunhilda (Mrs. Ponzio) in her office when she works from home in Straight Mode (2.1) with a pair of AA Sierra-1's with a EMPTek 1010i sub. oh, how the poor woman suffers!

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
almost forgot ... there's also a Neanderthal method to viewing the TV without sound and listening to an AUDIO port simultaneously. I just disconnected the HDMI cable between the TV and the 2000, ran the TV analog out to another AUDIO input on the 2000 and then I can watch a game/show on the TV in a 3.1 setup (I have no surrounds in the office). To date I have never seen any improvement ... in my eyes ... in picture quality when routed thru an AVR anyway. there are some advantages to getting old. :)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Just in time for the upcoming football season I finally resolved the issue of watching the TV (HDMI 2) while listening to the tuner/PC audio out/internet radio by picking up a RX-A3070. An expensive solution but a fix nonetheless. Here's the procedure for any Yamaha Aventage owners of RX-Axx30 models and up only.

Watch TV while listening to any Analog Source (re: PC audio out/CD Player).

Connect your RCA analog source plugs from the PC/CD Player to the HDMI 2 (TV/DVR) analog inputs, not the AUDIO 1~4 analog inputs.

While watching TV press the “ON SCREEN” button on your remote, select “INPUT” [enter] on the menu, press the “OPTION” button on remote, scroll and select “Input Settings”, scroll and select “Audio Select” and toggle to the “Analog” setting. Just reverse the setting back to “Auto” or “HDMI” to get back to the DVR/TV audio.

You can also do this by accessing the Web Setup Control on your browser. Click the “INPUT/OUTPUT” button on the main menu at the top and expand the “Main_Zone” menu below. Expand the “Audio_Sel” menu and click the “Analog” button or click the “Auto” or ”HDMI” button to go back to the DVR/TV audio.

Watch TV while listening to the “Tuner” or “Internet Radio”.

While listening to the tuner/internet radio/etc. turn on the TV, press the “ON SCREEN” button on your remote, select “INPUT” [enter] on the menu, press the “OPTION” button on remote, scroll and select “Input Settings”, scroll and select “Video Select” and toggle to “HDMI 2” setting to pass-thru the TV/DVR video signal to your TV. And don’t forget to toggle over to the tuner/internet radio/etc. menu and scroll down to the “X” option to remove the tuner/internet radio/etc. GUI (graphical user interface).

You can also do this by accessing the Web Setup Control on your browser. Click the “INPUT/OUTPUT” button on the main menu at the top and expand the “Main_Zone” menu below. Change the “Input_Sel” to AV2 and click the appropriate setting (HDMI 2), though you will need the remote to remove the tuner/internet radio/etc. GUI (graphical user interface).

For anyone not familiar with Yamaha's Web Setup Control for Aventage models (RX-Axx30 and up only).

You can manually change all the settings by putting in the AVR's network IP address, followed by forward slash and entering “setup”. RE: http://192.168.1.165/setup

Hope this helps any of you Homers out there who like to listen to their local radio announcers instead of the clueless cable network talking heads. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think if you still feel the same after 1 year, then YPAO is the real deal for you.

I still feel that Audyssey DEQ is the best audio invention ever after like 2 years now.

Perhaps YPAO is it for you.

I think that's the key to all AVR/pre-pro sound quality. It's not the amp or preamp section because they all sound about the same in Direct Mode. It's the EQ section that is salient. :)
Really funny to see my own posts four years later. :D

I sure loved Audyssey DEQ back then. :D

But now I am loving Yamaha’s PEQ (Parametric) even more. :D

One thing I still believe is that the setup and EQ sections are salient.

Who knows what I’ll think in 2023. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis