Yamaha RX-A 80 Series Receivers Feature Artificial Intelligence

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
With CEDIA just around the corner we're seeing an influx of new AV receivers from all the major manufacturers. Yamaha decided to update their entire AVENTAGE RX-A lineup of receivers with their new and improved AVENTAGE RX-A 80 series. With the top three receivers adding artificial intelligence for surround and dialogue optimization and all six adding wireless surround options, Yamaha is looking to stand out and be noticed.

yamaha.jpg

Read:
Yamaha RX-A 80 Series AV Receivers Compared

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Center Channel is salient.

Boosting the Center Channel Dialogue Volume Level during action scenes seems like an interesting idea.

I think a lot of action movies have this problem of low volume level dialogues during action scenes.

For me, I always set my Center Channel Level +3dB higher than all the other channels anyway, so I don't have this issue. :D

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Too bad Yamaha doesn't offer a firmware / circuit board upgrade instead of needing to buy the whole device, I'd consider turning my RX-A1020 into an A1080 for the Surround AI feature.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
They clearly have no desire to compete with Denon/Marantz. Falling behind this year by still forcing you buy an additional amp to get all your channels.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Perhaps Yamaha feels that the market at the moment is not large enough to include all channels.

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Personally I think nine amp channels in one box is plenty. I might start to feel a little uncomfortable about 11 channels crammed into one box with that includes, video and audio processing, networking, etc, etc. (But that's just me. Others may have no issues with it) There are plenty of reasonable amps you can add to expand your system. Crown and audio source to name a couple.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I have RX A1050 with what they claim is 125 amps per channel and I just added a Motiva A300 amp, WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I have RX A1050 with what they claim is 125 amps per channel and I just added a Motiva A300 amp, WHAT A DIFFERENCE.
Really? Sounds that much better? How exactly did the amp improve the sound?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
He's subjectively happy. Whether we could hear it or not is a different matter.
I wasn't trying to be facetious with the question, I was really curious. But he did answer in another post. Reason I asked was because I've been toying with the idea of doing the same thing. But in all actuality the 3060 is a wonderful piece on its own and I'm quite happy with it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
He has the Phil BMRs so adding the Emotiva amp probably did make a difference.
The amps and the power supplies of the 3XXX series are very capable of driving difficult loads. If the bass is being off loaded to a sub, the loading effect may decrease even further depending on the impedance curves of the speakers. I guess if the room is large and you want concert level loudness, more power wouldn't hurt.

The RX-A1050 would most likely benefit from an additional power amp if the room , speaker impedance, and desired volume levels push it beyonds its limits.

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
All this audio talk makes want to listen....Think I'm gonna fire up the system and put on a little Coltrane, on this fine Sunday morning in Tucson :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Good point, it depends on speakers too.
Ya I love my 2060 but those Phil’s look like a lot of load. He has at least 5.1 if not 7.1 or 5.1.2 on that 1050. Doubt he uses bass management on the mains....

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Ya I love my 2060 but those Phil’s look like a lot of load. He has at least 5.1 if not 7.1 or 5.1.2 on that 1050. Doubt he uses bass management on the mains....
Then an external amp is probably a very good choice in that case. There is no such thing as too much power.

F

frans callebaut

Audioholic Intern
hello,
will the cx-a5100 surround preamplifier be replaced too ?
best regards,
frans callebaut

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis