Yamaha receiver headphone question

M

marshallross

Audiophyte
I want to use a wireless headphone for one hearing impaired person without muting the main speakers. RX-V671 with TV, Blueray, CD, Netflix, etc all connected and using the Home Theatre setup. The silent cinema feature automatically mutes the external speakers.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

It's actually just plugging anything into the headphone jack that will mute the external speakers. Unfortunately, it appears that you're primarily (or even exclusively) using digital audio input sources, so you can't use the analog audio outputs on the back of the Yamaha.

Which wireless headphone set are you using, and which TV do you own? I'm wondering if you can use an audio output on the TV to run the headphones.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Usually this can be accomplished with a receiver with multichannel pre-outs that can output from the mains and pre-outs simultaneously, which the Yamaha Aventage series can. Using pre-outs with an RCA to minijack/TRS converter to the headphones would work. Unfortunately your model seems to be just below the ones that have pre-outs.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Usually this can be accomplished with a receiver with multichannel pre-outs that can output from the mains and pre-outs simultaneously, which the Yamaha Aventage series can. Using pre-outs with an RCA to minijack/TRS converter to the headphones would work. Unfortunately your model seems to be just below the ones that have pre-outs.

That +1

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
You can buy a speaker level to line level converter and hook it up to the speaker output jacks. Here are some:

speaker to line level converter - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free.

The problem with this idea is that you are probably going to be able to only hook into two of the channels that way, and you really want all three front channels (at least) going into the headphones.

Adam's idea above about hooking into the TV is the better approach, if your TV has either line level or headphone outputs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis