Yamaha receiver dead after power outage

Theo X

Theo X

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I have a Yamaha RX V471 receiver only connected to some polk speakers and ipod and we had a power blackout recently, previously it had been working perfectly. Whilst there was no power (still plugged in), I tried switching it on (with the remote) and it 'weakly' came on with the usual click which was weird, but it 'died' after that. I tried turning it on after the power came back, and it now does not turn on full stop, no light, no click no nothing. I've opened it and checked the fuse, it's fine. Any ideas?

Thanks heaps for your help

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all,

I have a Yamaha RX V471 receiver only connected to some polk speakers and ipod and we had a power blackout recently, previously it had been working perfectly. Whilst there was no power (still plugged in), I tried switching it on (with the remote) and it 'weakly' came on with the usual click which was weird, but it 'died' after that. I tried turning it on after the power came back, and it now does not turn on full stop, no light, no click no nothing. I've opened it and checked the fuse, it's fine. Any ideas?

Thanks heaps for your help
Well obviously you have done it serious damage and it now needs replacement.

That is a low end receiver and not worth the cost of repair.

I have to ask, why on earth did you try to switch on the receiver during a period of power outage and instability?

I suspect there was some low level power coming through. Since the fuses you say are OK and it does nothing, I suspect somehow you have wiped the BIOS clean of the unit.

Theo X

Theo X

Audiophyte
Did a bit of googling, found a 'self diagnostic function' by holding tone control info and power buttons down, and voila, power comes on, shows 'A1-1 DSP margin' whatever that means, turned it on and off and good as new!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Whilst there was no power (still plugged in), I tried switching it on (with the remote) and it 'weakly' came on with the usual click which was weird, but it 'died' after that.
There is no backup power in that AVR. So if it "weakly" came on, your power was not completely out. It was obviously compromised somehow, but not out. That means there is no telling what kind of spikes came into the house.

My other thought is perhaps a neighbor fired up their generator, and didn't isolate their house from the main line. So they were feeding some power back thru the main line and into your house.

In any event, I suspect TLS Guy is right, if your fuses are good. Like any computer, BIOS is the software that tells it what to do when it is powered up. Without BIOS, although your hardware may be fine, your AVR is dead because it doesn't know what to do. (If you have a computer, this is why they warn you not to power off during a BIOS upgrade, and perhaps that is what happened in your case.) You can't fix it. You can't download software, install code from a CD, or anything. Any BIOS upgrade requires your AVR/computer to know what to do to handle new software. But w/ corrupt BIOS, your AVR doesn't know what to do.

The ONLY fix is to replace the circuit board. Not cost efficient in your case. Sorry.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Did a bit of googling, found a 'self diagnostic function' by holding tone control info and power buttons down, and voila, power comes on, shows 'A1-1 DSP margin' whatever that means, turned it on and off and good as new!
Good on you!!! Dodged a bullet for sure.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Interesting. You are lucky. Usually when the receiver is in need of a reset, you usually see at least a blinking red light.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Here is a possible explanation. When you operated the receiver during a period of very low voltage you caused the receiver to draw more current that it could handle, causing overheating. The receiver may have gone into a thermal protection mode and been inoperable until it cooled down. After it cooled down enough it worked fine with the normal voltage restored. Not certain but at least it is logical. Consider it a learning experience.

D

Delozied

Audiophyte
I had a similar problem that was resolved on a Yamaha RX-V667. No sound. CEC power signals from an LG 2017 4K didn’t always start or stop the receiver. I finally found this post... the fix was similar to the above combo for Self Diagnostics fixing the issue. My receiver combo is plugging it in while pressing Tuning/CH>> . This puts the receiver into Bios update mode with a CD/DVD/BD. Well no players installed. I stared at it for 1 minute and no menu appeared. Just the indicator of the "CDDA Upgrader" mode. Unplugged it and began to look for my Amazon PW. I plugged it back in and power cycled the TV. Everything was back to normal. Stable through multiple power cycles. I can only think that mode starts with a self test for safety.

Manual here Pg 19-20ish: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/865402/Yamaha-Rx-V667.html?page=20#manual

U

URGreat

Audiophyte
Hi guys.
I have the same problem as Theo X.
Yamaha RX-V471 died on me and sorry to tell you, it wasn't a power surge.
And even if it would have been one, my whole system is plugged in a APC Back UPS 1300W and it is still going on strong. So my AV was working in the best conditions.

I found the RX-V471 / HTR-4064 Service Manual and started to do some diagnostic.

It starts when I push INFO, Tone Control and Power button at the same time.
Keep holding the buttons, NO PROTECT appear for half a second then PS2 PRT 1L.

Once I let the buttons go,
A1-1
DSP Margin appears.

I'm still reading the manual and so far the manual doesn't say or give solutions for those messages.

If you have any idea, I'm all ears.

Thanks guys.

UPDATE.

Hi guys.

I did unplugged all speakers and left only the HDMI Out connected to a PC Screen.
Didn't change anything. Thanks anyway.
I saw the piano picture on the screen.
After doing all the diagnostic tests, I sent this email to Yamaha for a new power transformer.
Here is the text :
Hi.

The receiver stopped working one day in September.
Push the power button, MAIN appear and then turn off.

The Service manual talk about updating Firmware but I never found any RXV471-xxxx.bin file anywhere on the internet.

Went to Self-Diagnostic on page 19 of the Service Manual :
Hold TONE CONTROL + INFO + POWER Buttons.

I got the problem NO PROTECT --> A1-1 DSP MARGIN
Scroll all Main and Sub-Menus.
Everything is ok.
The only problem is
On page 23 of Service Manal
P2 Protection History, I can see on the receiver that HISTORY 1st and 2nd direct me to PS2 1
And
on page 27 of the Service Manual
2-3 I get the message PS2 PRT 1L
Which is a Power Supply Fault

I need a price and a delivery date for the 2nd Power Transformer for my receiver:
YAMAHA Natural Sound AV Receiver RX-V471
120VAC 60Hz
270W 320VA
S/N : Y570721TV
On page 3 and 4 of the Service Manual, it is the top picture, which is a U or C model, don’t know yet.
On the back panel, top right, WW59910-3 UC

Here is what I have on page 120-121 of the Service Manual.
Part 15 : YD332 A0 (See pictures below) (Which is not on the list, the list stop at YD331 A00

I will need the Specs Sheet about PinOut (Voltage IN and Voltage OUT of each pin) for a
BANDO
YD332 A0
BD31
BEM1-FF9
FGSC95228
On the base
AYW85.8-57-YM7

I sent an email to BANDO too, it is in Malaysia.

Still waiting for their responses.

If you need it, Yamaha Spare Parts Order form is at :
and
You can order the Service Manual for the RX_V471 at : partsorderdesk@yamaha.ca

Hope it will help you.

Thanks

UPDATE #2
No I don't think it could be the APC Surge Protector.
I would think it would just be the Power Supply that just gave up after 10 years.
Didn't get a response from Yamaha or BANDO so far.

I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi guys.
I have the same problem as Theo X.
Yamaha RX-V471 died on my and sorry to tell you, it wasn't a power surge.
And even if it would have been one, my whole system is plugged in a APC Back UPS 1300W and it is still going on strong. So my AV was working in the best conditions.

I found the RX-V471 / HTR-4064 Service Manual and started to do some diagnostic.

It starts when I push INFO, Tone Control and Power button at the same time.
Keep holding the buttons, NO PROTECT appear for half a second then PS2 PRT 1L.

Once I let the buttons go,
A1-1
DSP Margin appears.

I'm still reading the manual and so far the manual doesn't say or give solutions for those messages.

If you have any idea, I'm all ears.

Thanks guys.
What happens if you disconnect it from all the speakers and then try and reset? If it will not reset then, it has a serious fault. That seems to be a 10 year old receiver at the bottom end of the range. So that is about the limit of its expected life. It is not worth the cost of repair, so I'm afraid it is new receiver time, if it will not reset when not connected to your speakers.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Had the same thing happen to a Yamaha flagship model lighting took out the main processor board it would do crazy stuff when turned on no amount of resetting would fix it . But I had this rebuilt as is was relatively new and a year out of warranty. In the end it was cheaper to fix this one .

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Had the same thing happen to a Yamaha flagship model lighting took out the main processor board it would do crazy stuff when turned on no amount of resetting would fix it . But I had this rebuilt as is was relatively new and a year out of warranty. In the end it was cheaper to fix this one .
I’ve never had a amplifier blow this way is it just bad luck or based on your surge protector quality??
Wow what’s repair costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I’ve never had a amplifier blow this way is it just bad luck or based on your surge protector quality??
Wow what’s repair costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It waisted the surge protector a monster 1800 model best guess the lighting came threw the cable box- threw the HDMI odd thing was the unit worked for a month or so after before the Yamaha started acting up shutting down in the middle of a movie it would say no decoder found then it would switch inputs by itself then it finally would just power on and say firmware error that processor was wiped clean of anything . It never shut down in protection mode tho . Cost of repair was I’d have to look up the paperwork but Iam thinking almost $ 300.00 and change . When talking to the repair technician they said yes indeed there was definitely a problem with some of the main processor boards in the first RX-A units and they’ve put in quite a few new boards in the RZ - A units you’d never get that from Yamaha call center but when talking to the repair technician they don’t care they just fix lol . Yea I’d say it was a shitty deal for early Advantage owners myself included but it’s a better unit now with the upgraded main processor and board .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
By law they have to carry and stock parts for these units for 10 years or more that’s info from the main repair technician at a regional service center for Yamaha the don’t tell you that when you call customer service at 1 800 Yamaha.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis