Yamaha Problems Help Please

M

MR_PINK

Enthusiast
Morning Gents. I am having some problems with my HTR-5860. I recently finished my home theater room. I have wired everything and am running a 7.1 monitor audio set up. It appears my decoder in my receiver is not working correctly while playing movies. 7 Channel plays great with no issues, but if i switch it enhanced surround I am having issues. The problem is the speaking during the movies is extremely soft and muffled and the action and rest of the movie plays great. This happens with everthing but 7 channel and Pro Logic II Music which plays and decodes the movie find and in fact sounds great, but dolby digital/PR Movie and the rest do not decode correctly. I have tried two different dvd players/different movies and a host of different settings and wiring. Is there something I am missing? The center channel is also turned up to max. I have also tried YPAO multiple times with no sucess. Anyone run into this problem before any suggestions? I am thinking it is a setting somewhere that i am missing or an internal receiver problem not sure :( Thanks in advance for any help!

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Others may be more help but here is my take on your situation. With YAPO not working and the other problems I would try unplugging the receiver for about 5 minutes to reset the microprocessors. I would concentrate on getting YAPO working first. You paid for that feature and when it is working it is pretty useful. You should have the receiver with an input to the television so you can read the menu and test results. Usually YAPO gives you an error message for wiring errors and that is primarily the place you can go wrong. If YAPO is not working and you don’t get an error message, then I would contact Yamaha technical support at the location listed below. I sent an e-mail describing my problem and they were pretty good about getting back to me. Once you get YAPO set up correctly, you can proceed on to the other problem working with Yamaha. You may have something wrong with your receiver and by working with Yamaha you can document your efforts and maybe get a replacement if something inside the receiver is wrong.

Contact Yamaha Technical Support
To contact a technical support representative, please use the following information:
Audio Visual:
1-800-292-2982
https://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/emailrequest.html?CTID=5010270

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
You should not have to choose PLII, 7-channel, or any other mode. The receiver should be set to AUTO to detect the signal that is being sent. Then, set the AUDIO on the dvd player to 5.1.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Just to be sure I am clear.

1) Set the receiver to AUTO.
2) Insert a dvd into the player.
3) Either select 5.1 on the dvd menu, or depending on your dvd remote, just push the AUDIO button on the dvd remote(after the movie/concert begins) to select 5.1.;) Your receiver will automatically switch to the corresponding surround mode.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
This happens with everthing but 7 channel and Pro Logic II Music which plays and decodes the movie find and in fact sounds great, but dolby digital/PR Movie and the rest do not decode correctly
PLII Music has adjustable parameters so as an experiment to see if there is a problem with the center channel, try adjusting the Center Width to the setting that is all center. On my Onkyo that would be 0 (goes from 0 - 7) but the Yamaha might use a different scale.

thisonekidmongo

thisonekidmongo

Audioholic Intern
Check and re-check wiring. Maybe a wire is a little loose in the binding post? I'm not sure if YPAO would notice that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis