Yamaha or Denon, advice please?

C

chrisn

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have been auditioning the Yamaha RX V540 &amp; the Denon 1604 to power my Rti 70's and appreciate any advice...

I recently received (as a gift) the RXV540 to replace an older Yamaha receiver due to some amp problems. I noticed that the CATV analog signal bleeds into the DVD input and is audible by -35dbl when the dvd is on pause or stopped. I have also tried the CATV signal through the V-Aux input and it then bleeds in the CATV input. I have also noticed significantly more amp hiss (without a signal being fed through) on the CATV, DVD, MD-CDR, &amp; CD inputs than on V-AUX and VCR where the amp is silent no matter what the volume. I do have a ground loop isolator, dc blocker and 40dbl noise filter so thinking I had another bad machine I replaced it and found the same thing on the 2nd brand new machine.

Hoping to relieve my frustration, I swapped the 540 for a Denon 1604. The Denon has no hiss in the amp, but just doesn't seem to have nearly the soundstage or resonance the Yamaha had. I've only had the Denon a couple days but I just don't feel like I'm getting the detail and accoustic sound quality from the Denon.

Should I keep the Denon or try to ignore the seeping catv signal I'm getting with the Yamahas? Any comments or advice is appreciated.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Strange. &nbsp; My RX-V496 is dead quiet when no signals, no hiss whatever. &nbsp;As a matter of fact, I think low background noise is one the merits of Yamaha's. &nbsp;

I feed Cable into my VCR and then from VCR to Receiver's VCR input. &nbsp;

Abe</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Fully agree with abe here and can tell you that Yamaha's have tradationally had very low noise floor, with my 260W amp I can crank the volume all the way up and the hiss would be really inaudible unless you put your ears to the tweeters, same is the case with the RXZ-1.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis