Yamaha NS-F150 personnel opinion

N

Nanaea

Audioholic Intern
Hey all,

I got a pair of these Yamaha NS-F150 and I thought I'd share my experience so far.

So before i start some info that might be useful, they currently running with a Pioneer VSX-921 and for now they running in 2.0 (getting the rest of the speakers/sub woofer for 5.1 soon).

So I was going to get myself a pair of Wharfedale 10.6 at my local store and they happened to have these Yamaha on display along side with the Wharfedale so I decided to give them a listen (I didn't expect much as they were less then half the price of the Wharfedale!) and then my mouth fell, they were strong and sounded very warm, very similar sound to the Wharfedale they were actually a bit hard to tell apart, the biggest difference that I noticed was that the Yamaha are a bit more messy with high tones but with a small touch on a EQ to bring treble down and they go into place. They were very strong in volume and were louder then the Wharfedale at the same volume. At low volume they very audible and you can understand very well what's going on (which is a good thing at night). They hit low frequency's very well you can hear the low frequency's and feel them and even though I am putting in a sub woofer they can easily live without one.

Construction wise, well this is where you can really see the difference, I'll start with the base, i don't understand why they put a wooden piece at the bottom with 4 spikes stuck on it which means you can't adjust them. The tweeter isn't protected if you take the front grill off and their look isn't the best in my opinion. At the back the port is open in such a way that you can see the drives inside, there is foam (or some sort of sponge) inside that looks like it was just thrown in that fills up the tower till the port. You can see all the wires inside since they dangle a little. I do have a feel that they vibrate more then they should.

Summing it up
They sound great sounding a lot like the Wharfedale 10.6 just being a tad more harsh on the high tones but sounding more boomier at lower frequency's.
Build wise they could be better.
For their price they were quite a bargain for the sound they produce and I am very pleased with them and I would advise them.

4.5/5 stars for sound
3/5 stars for construction

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis