Yamaha NS-555 Loudspeakers

Gaius Caligula

Gaius Caligula

Audioholic Intern
YAMAHA NS-555 REVIEW

Introduction

Although given the cold-shoulder by audiophiles in the United States, internationally, the Yamaha NS and HX series have been applauded as some of the finest speakers ever produced in their respective price ranges. The NS-555s do not disappoint. They are absolutely AMAZING for speakers at $300 a pair! Indeed, I would have paid at least $600 a pair for these and still considered it a terrific bargain!

Build Quality

Yamaha is a venerable, highly reputable name in the audiovisual industry, with decades and decades of experience in music creation and sound recreation. The build quality of these speakers certainly proves as solid as Yamaha's reputation, if not more so. They are extremely well put-together with a superb fit and finish.

Appearance

Concordant with Yamaha's stunning black pianos, the glimmering black piano finish on these solid hardwood-cased, elliptical speakers is a very classy touch. Moreover, the subtle stainless steel floor risers in conjunction with other minor touches of silvery color here and there compliment the polished black extremely well.

Performance

The speakers do a splendid, all-around job at properly orchestrating treble extension, treble smoothness, midrange clarity, midrange accuracy, midbass quality, bass extension, bass accuracy, imaging, and clarity. The veritable concert of harmonies created by the three way, four-speaker, bass reflex provides hours of pure listening nirvana with crisp clarity when needed, matched by warm smoothness as appropriate.

Indeed, the speakers' masterfully designed and built dual 6 1/2” polymer-injected mica diaphragm (PMD) woofers, 5” cone midranges and waveguide horn 1” aluminum dome tweeters, combined with their useful capability of handling 250 watts of power per speaker, put these speakers into a class (or two) well above their price point.

Perhaps the only "weakness" in performance, and it's only a weakness if you prefer otherwise, is that the NS-555s have a relatively narrow soundstage. This may be by design, but I typically prefer a wider soundstage. Nevertheless, where some enjoy the narrow, I'll chalk my one bone of contention with these speakers up to personal preference.

Specifications

Type: 3-way, 4-speaker, bass reflex system
Speakers: 6.5” PMD cone woofer x 2; wave guide horn 5” cone midrange; wave guide horn 1” dome tweeter
Frequency Response: 35 Hz – 35 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
Nominal Input Power: 100 W
Max. Input Power: 250 W
Sensitivity: 89 dB/2.83 V/m
Crossover Freq.: 1 kHz, 4 kHz
Wiring: Bi-wired with internal wiring by Monster Cable
Weight: 44.1 lbs.

Conclusion

These speakers are very much a cut above their price range, and compete with many higher-end speakers in price ranges up to $1000 per pair. For about $300 per pair, one simply must give these speakers (or their big brothers, the NS-777s) a good, long listen if your budget is anything below $1000 per pair. They're THAT good, really!

(See Yamaha NS Loudspeakers.)

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Calligula,

One word, thank you very much. Yamaha has always made true sounding speakers, but accuracy has been their fallacy, truth always being a bitter pill to swallow for all of us. Yamaha amps too have suffered the same fate, MX series amps were among the most accurate but hook em up with a bad source and a pair of Yamaha NS-1000 and there is only one word for it, harsh.

The NS-555 remain the best value but it is more for music as all Yamaha speakers are inclined design wise, SPL is truly not it's forte', accuracy is. Also they are quite susceptible to room coupling, more so than other speakers so one has to be careful in placing them.

The NS-555 inherited Yamaha NS-200/300 drivers which were Yamaha's best offering after their NS-1000 series. These feature Yamaha's in house designed 30% Indian Pearl Mica injected polymer which is quite rigid, yet retains nice musical balance, one of the reasons, same drivers are used in Yamaha's musical instruments as well as their studio monitors, namely MSP-5 and 10.

Since you like your NS-555, you owe it to yourself to audition NS-200/300 and the latest and truly awesome NS-HX series, mainly NS8-HX.

The narrow sound stage you mention also prevents Yamaha speakers from reacting with the room and sounding colored.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
I was looking at buying a set of NS-777s a while back and found a place that was selling them for $200 each with shipping, but I didn't jump on it. The 555s look great as well, but I'm really after the bigger ones. Great write-up, Gaius and equally great follow-up, Yamafanboy ;) As I am able to save more and more money, I wonder if I should just continue and move directly to the HX series for my next big upgrade.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Nice review indeed.
I'm currently using the NS-555's siblings, the 444 and 333 as my center and surrounds. My primary reason is the NS-444 matches better with my Technics fronts than any other center speaker I can find. I've been interested in the 777s for quite some time but have unable to find a place to hear them.
The biggest knock I've read on both the 777s and 555s is their lack of bass. Caligula, Can you comment?

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
The Yamaha speakers give you true bass and thats their biggest fallacy.

nick danger,

The HX is not available in US sadly.

Gaius Caligula

Gaius Caligula

Audioholic Intern
NomoSony said:
Nice review indeed.
I'm currently using the NS-555's siblings, the 444 and 333 as my center and surrounds. My primary reason is the NS-444 matches better with my Technics fronts than any other center speaker I can find. I've been interested in the 777s for quite some time but have unable to find a place to hear them.
The biggest knock I've read on both the 777s and 555s is their lack of bass. Caligula, Can you comment?
There is a slight lack of bass for what one might expect with these specifications, but in this price range, the slight lack thereof truly borders on trivial (especially with my Yamaha YST-315 sub in tow and my RX-V1500 set @ 80 Hz crossover to said sub :D ).

Last edited:
Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Can anybody compare the Yamaha NS-777's with Wharfedale Diamond 8.4's?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I've never heard them, but visually they sure look much nicer than you normally see in the $300/pair range! :eek: Very nicely finished for the price. How's the cabinets? Are they fairly heavy and well damped? Have you had an opportunity to compare them to the comparably priced floorstanders from Athena? Those have long been my standard recommendation to someone looking for decent speakers in the sub $400 range.

Gaius Caligula

Gaius Caligula

Audioholic Intern
Rob Babcock said:
I've never heard them, but visually they sure look much nicer than you normally see in the $300/pair range! :eek: Very nicely finished for the price. How's the cabinets? Are they fairly heavy and well damped? Have you had an opportunity to compare them to the comparably priced floorstanders from Athena? Those have long been my standard recommendation to someone looking for decent speakers in the sub $400 range.
Cabinets are hardwood, quite heavy, and surprisingly well-damped. I've compared them to comparable Athenas, as have other posters over at AVS Forum, and we all believe the Yamahas to be superior is all aspects, save the narrow sound stage.

G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
I don't really know, but are you sure that the cabinets are made out of hardwood? Surely for $300 they have to be made of mdf. Most $1000.00 and above speakers don't even have cabinets made out of hardwood. Just a thought.

Gaius Caligula

Gaius Caligula

Audioholic Intern
Gatorchong said:
I don't really know, but are you sure that the cabinets are made out of hardwood? Surely for $300 they have to be made of mdf. Most $1000.00 and above speakers don't even have cabinets made out of hardwood. Just a thought.
I was once a professional painter of brand new custom homes for about three years. As such, I painted a lot of wood. If these Yammies are made of mdf., the Japanese have made some truly incredible mdf., for it feels just like hardwood. I'm not, however, going to tear my babies apart to find out what they're made of... but whatever it is, its solid, very smooth (unlike mdf.) sturdy, and heavy. It reminds me of Yamaha's grand pianos, whatever it is.

M

moosicluver

Audiophyte
Yes they are hardwood!

Thats just one of the facts that Caligula has stated correctly!
As I write this I am listening to my 555's which I have owned for more than a year now. They are hardwood as I have learned from Yamaha's official website some time ago. I didn't and still can't believe that such a fine speaker system can be obtained for so little money!!!! Each speaker weighs just a scoch under 45lbs.(If you think about it...Yamaha has been doing the wood/laquer thing for quite some time. Probably would'nt cost them as much as others) And as far as what price range these speakers can compete with...I have heard speakers scratching $2000 that still could not match the smoothness and fidelty of these speakers. Between the 555's and the 777's... the 555's hands down!!!! First off the 777's are quite a bit larger.
Some of the detail so wonderful in the 555's is clouded by the extra bass delivered by the 777's. When set up right and very good optical cables are used if possible, the 555's bass is quite rich and satisfying.
And except for the Martin Logans....I still have not seen a more appealing speaker. Beautiful is really the only way to describe the craftsmanship of this system.
I know that some of you just feel in your gut that you just have to spend much more on speakers to get that rich sound you have been looking for. Well stop feeling your gut and listen to your ears..and Caligula! No one takes that much time and thought to write such an insiteful review for nothing. I own these speakers and they are one of the best buys in AV!
If you can get your hands on thes speakers ...do it! Remember two things...this system costs next to nothing...and you can always send them back. I didn't!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
It's real wood veneer. :rolleyes:

C'mon guys. Take out the midrange and you'll see mdf behind the glued on veneer. My Polks have "real wood veneer." Yipee. Yes, it's nice, but it's not furniture grade solid maple or oak cabinetry. Whats more important is the thickness of the mdf, whether it's 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4". The thicker the mdf, the lower the resonance.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Buckeyefan 1 said:
It's real wood veneer. :rolleyes:

C'mon guys. Take out the midrange and you'll see mdf behind the glued on veneer. My Polks have "real wood veneer." Yipee. Yes, it's nice, but it's not furniture grade solid maple or oak cabinetry. Whats more important is the thickness of the mdf, whether it's 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4". The thicker the mdf, the lower the resonance.
I would seem they would have cut a corner somewhere, regardless of their experiance.

R

reg_yoo

Audiophyte
real hardwood

hello to everybody !

i can confirm that they are made from real hard wood ( franch oak )

I just bought a pair of the NS-555 and unforthanly one of them was busted on delivery !

the top and bottom are made from very solid and tick MDF ( sometimes stronger and more heavy than hard wood ( my expriance come from working with mdf as a carpentar , work very very well when a smooth finish is wonted)

the rest of the cabbinet made from 12mm hard franch core oak that is very strong but ligther than other hard wood !

im very very happy with my new yamaha system ..working along with a Harman Kardon 3485

L

littleb

Junior Audioholic
I owned a pair of the 555's for about 2 weeks. While I'm glad others find them to be a fine addition to their HT, I found them to be average speakers, but I wanted more than average, so I had to move onward and upward.

F

Fancypants

Audioholic Intern
Has anybody heard the NS-525F speakers? If so, how do they compair to the 555 & 777?

I have only recently been made aware of these speakers, and would like to consider them for my home theater. I was originally thinking of the Axiom Audio M60's or M80's and would like some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

F

Fancypants

Audioholic Intern
To add to this further, I am strongly considering purchasing a pair of NS-777 speakers from the Audioholics store, what is the return policy like? I currently only have HTiB speakers, so... I am sure these will be an upgrade. They may not provide the WOW effect (as littleb mentioned) I was looking for from the Axiom M80v2 speakers, but they will fit my budget much nicer.

The only remaining question for you all here in the Audioholics community is... will my Onkyo TX-SR503 be able to power these well enough?

As a side note, I got the Onkyo two years ago before I knew anything about home theater, did I just luck out and buy a capable entry level receiver?

Also, I am not trying to imply that my receiver would power the Axiom's well, if I were to purchase them I know I would need to upgrade, this fact further increases the affordability of the Yamaha's, so long as my Onkyo can power them.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
To add to this further, I am strongly considering purchasing a pair of NS-777 speakers from the Audioholics store, what is the return policy like? I currently only have HTiB speakers, so... I am sure these will be an upgrade. They may not provide the WOW effect (as littleb mentioned) I was looking for from the Axiom M80v2 speakers, but they will fit my budget much nicer.

The only remaining question for you all here in the Audioholics community is... will my Onkyo TX-SR503 be able to power these well enough?

As a side note, I got the Onkyo two years ago before I knew anything about home theater, did I just luck out and buy a capable entry level receiver?

Also, I am not trying to imply that my receiver would power the Axiom's well, if I were to purchase them I know I would need to upgrade, this fact further increases the affordability of the Yamaha's, so long as my Onkyo can power them.
I think the Onkyo should power them fine. I have powered more troubling speakers with similar model to the TX-SR503. (I had the TX-SR502:D). You will likely be wow'd because you will be experiencing something much better than HTiaB speakers. The looks alone are killer.:D

J

John91722

Audiophyte
NS-555 Yamaha HT Speakers Improving over time.

I got a pair of these a short while ago and had finally got to get them hooked up to my RXV663 Yamaha surround system.

At first they seem "tight" overly precise in a harsh manner. After about 90 minutes play they seemed to loosen up, smooth out and loose some of the harshness. This weekend I have aboout 40-50 hours of play time on them and noticed another shift in the sound, again smoother, more natural, less harshly precise. I start off at a lower volume level and every few tracks or change to a new cd turn it up until it's pretty loud (the Yamaha receiver say -4db to 0db) and once again it loosened up and smoothed out.

Some people will tell you speakers don't break in, it's only a trick your mind plays on yourself. I figure just about anything that moves from a wallet to your jeans to your speakers can have some type of break in period.

Bass wise these seem to have plenty for me, although with the back port placement in regards to the walls makes a big difference as to how the bass sounds.

Some people say about 100 hours is the norm to break in speakers. I am a believer because I have heard it here and several times at a good friends houses with a number of top of the line for the high end of the mid level audiophile speakers, such as the Chapman's a good friend has just installed.

The NS-555 are sounding better and when completely broken in should be pretty awesome in my living room especially at the price I got them for they represent high quality and a great value.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis