Yamaha HTR-5960 Optical Out

J

jwilliams

Audiophyte
I'm hoping someone can help me configure my mis-matched Audio components here.

I have the Yamaha HTR-5960 and the YSP-1000. I know both of these units act as receivers, and are therefore redundant in that purpose, but I purchased the HTR-5960 for the iPOD connectivity, XM Radio and to use as a general AV switch. I planned to bypass the audio processing features of the 5960 and send a pure audio signal to the YSP-1000 to do its thing.

The problem is, I can't get sound out of the 5960 unit using the Optical Out connector. It seems to be limited for use with CDR or other recording media. Has anyone successfully connected these two units? I'd sure appeciate some help, since at this point I can't use it.

Thanks!

Jason

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Only digital input signals will be output by the digital output; ie if you want to output the DD signal from the DVD player, the player must be connected digitally; it will not digitize an analog input and send it out the digital output (this is true of nearly all receivers).

You normally also have to 'assign' the digital inputs; ie tell the receiver which digital input goes with which source, if the default settings differ from your setup. You may have to be in rec mode to get the sound out the digital out as it is meant for recording (the fact that you are not actually recording is not relevant).

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Ipod and XM radio

Get a programable Harmony or HTM remote and a doc for the Ipod and your Car XM radio and return the receiver. You are Essentially using the receiver as a remote for these two devices.

The YSP is designed to be a simple, easy to use sound system that is high on asthetics. If it doesn't meet your needs A/V feature needs, keep the receiver and return the YSP and purchase a good set of 5.1 speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis