Yamaha HTR-5760 auto calibration

T

tbonz

Audiophyte
I am considering buying the yamaha htr-5760 as an entry-level home theater/music stereo receiver. It's right for my price range (around US $350), has gotten good reviews on several sites, and appears to pack in a decent amount of features.

One of those features is the YPAO, which basically is Yamaha's auto-calibration microphone system. Based on some other forum postings, it seems that this YPAO is surprisingly useful for neophytes like myself, so I would be looking to utilize this feature. Reading the manual pdf, however, it seems that the auto setup will not function if the receiver is connected to any less than the full receiver capacity of 10 speakers (for their DSP, yamaha adds two "presence" speakers to a 7.1 setup).

My question, finally, is directed to anyone who owns an HTR-5760, or has experience with them: As I will be using a 6.1 speaker set, I am interested in knowing if other users have been able to use the auto-calibration with less than 10 speakers. Can you connect less than 10 speakers (no presence, and only one surround back) and still use the YPAO?

L

listo

Audiophyte
I just purchased the same reciever online the other day. I got it at J&R.com and it was $375. They are authorized Yamaha e-dealer. I just re-read the pdf manual off of Yamaha's site and it doesnt specify that you need all speakers available attached. The picture shows all the speakers but I think that is just an example pic and not what actually needs to be connected. The error codes do have an error for no presense speakers connected during YPAO but again not sure if its general or the system needs it. Yamaha has a support email address. I'll ask them and post their response. They are pretty fast in replying which is very nice.

J

jrd257

Audiophyte
I've owned the 5760 for close to 3 weeks now and am very happy with it. Purchased it for a little of $300 and it's well worth that price.

As for the YPAO set up I only have the 5.1 setup(For now) and it went through the configuration just fine. Once it recognizes no connnection it will alert you but continue with the rest of the setup. Great feature!

If you have any other questions just let me know.

L

listo

Audiophyte
jrd257 said:
I've owned the 5760 for close to 3 weeks now and am very happy with it. Purchased it for a little of $300 and it's well worth that price.

As for the YPAO set up I only have the 5.1 setup(For now) and it went through the configuration just fine. Once it recognizes no connnection it will alert you but continue with the rest of the setup. Great feature!

If you have any other questions just let me know.
jrd257, what speakers are you using with they 5760. I am getting it hopefully today and also purchased some JBL SCS300.7's to go with it.

Thanks

T

tbonz

Audiophyte
thanks...

...for your input. It's reassuring to know that it still works--thanks again.

L

listo

Audiophyte
Here is the Yamaha responce.

Hi
By using the Yamaha's YPAO auto setup procedures it will set the system
to 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 automatically for which ever numbers speakers you
have

Don
>>> <listo@comcast.net> 01/19/2005 9:28:10 AM >>>

I will be purchasing an HTR-5760 and have a question after reviewing
the online manual. For YPAO to work successfully do presence and surround
back speakers have to be connected to ths system or will the system
configure for 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 independently without the use of the
presence speakers? Thanks

T

tbonz

Audiophyte
that was fast! i wrote them a few days ago, and haven't heard anything back yet.

good to know. that clears it up for me. thanks again for your help.

J

jrd257

Audiophyte
Listo,
I also have JBL's...northridge series N24II for the fronts and rears..and the n-center II and a JBL PB12 subwoofer. Sounds pretty good for bookshelves...

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
As others have mentioned, part of the YPAO is basically the receiver figuring out for itself what speakers you have connected, and automatically setting things up as 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1. If you later go into the manual settings, you'll see all of the unconnected speakers being set to "off".

If you have a 5.1 set-up, you'll also find tha the receiver is smart enough to skip sound-field or format modes that require 6.1 or 7.1. So, for example, you will get plain Pro-Logic II, and not Pro-Logic IIx, and also not be able to access the enhanced Dolby Digital and DTS modes that generate back-surround channels out of a 5.1 digital signal.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis