Yamaha HTR-5490 vs Current Yamaha Units

T

tbabb

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>This is a follow up question to my other post...

I have the HTR-5490 currently and like it very much. &nbsp;One issue that bugs me is the center channel for dialog lacks clarity. &nbsp;Dialog seems difficult to hear. &nbsp; I don't know why this is, but I've read posts elsewhere that would seem to indicate I am not alone in my observations.

My first question is this... Are the current Yamaha units any better with clarity on center channel dialog?

Secondly, I've noticed on the specs of the RX-Z1/Z9 as compared to the RX-V2400 that both have 192/24 DACs, however the Z1/Z9 are listed as having Burr Brown DACs. &nbsp;Has anyone compared the sound quality on the units to notice how much a difference the DACs on the flagship units make?

My main reason for asking is I've had burr brown DACs in my several of my CD players and just love the sound they produce.

TIA

Tim</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>The center channel depends on your speakers and the position of your center speakers. There is a EQ for center channel and I suggest you give that a try.

I personally like the original ACM DAC used in older Yamahas like your unit as well as DSP-A1, having tried the Burr-Brown on my current Z-1.

The Pro-Bit Plus d/a found on Yamaha's CDX-550/1050/1060 are also quite good with almost warm vinyl like sound.</font>

W

wmmilam

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>What does  ACM stand for in the expression ACM DAC ? Sorry I am not familiar with all the longo.  
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>ACM is the name of the Japanese company making the LSI chip for the Yamaha older units. DAC= digital audio convertor.</font>

S

seabiscuit

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I have an older Yamaha 595A driving a PSB Stratus C-6 for the center channel and have no rpoblems with dialogue. &nbsp;Try varying the center volume and delay to see if you can focus the dialogue better. &nbsp;If your center is back farther than your front channel speakers, move it forward a few inches as well.

</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis