Yamaha HS50M or High End Book Shelf Speakers

F

fsdigital12

Audiophyte
I am looking for some high quality stereo speakers (pair) for under $500.

I'm looking for something powered and does not require an amp.

Looking to use for CD and music listening.

I'm seriously considering the Yamaha HS50m monitor speakers however I am open to suggestions.

F

fsdigital12

Audiophyte
Single CD player or PC into a little 4 channel mixer

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What is your reason for wanting active speakers? Does the CD player have variable output?

F

fsdigital12

Audiophyte
It has a fixed output currently, however I also plan on using my PC as the source at times.

The HS50m seem nice as they bypass the need for an amp, however if they are sub par quality to the axiom, I'd be willing to change my direction from active to passive.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think you'd be better suited with passive speakers and a receiver. Active speakers have to have their gain adjusted individually and the controls are normally located on the back of the speaker. Of course if you were using the PC that would circumvent that, but not with the CD player. It's also hit and miss on active speakers internal amplification. I had a pair of KRK monitors and the amps were very underpowered.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
In principle, active speakers are a good idea. There are no inductors between the amplifiers and the speaker cones. With a non-adjustable CD player, however, you'll need a pre-amp in between. If your computer has a CD drive, though, you can just play CDs through it.

I can't comment on any specific active speakers but Behringer studio monitors have a pretty good rep if you don't mind their looks.

Jim

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Behringer's active models are not as revered as the passive ones, plus the Behringer's internal amps are prone to failure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis