Yamaha Debuts RX-Z9 at CEDIA 2003

<font color='#000080'>We've gotten a sneak peek at Yamaha's new flagship receiver and it is something to write home about! The RX-Z9 features:
<ul><li>9.1 channels (7.1 + 2 effects channels)
<li>170W x 7 + 50W x 2
<li><span style='color:red'>Digital Component Video Up-conversion</span>
<li>DVDi Progressive Scan Processing
<li>i.Link (IEEE 1394) Digital Audio Interface
<li>New On-scren Display with GUI
<li>HD Cinema DSP
<li><span style='color:blue'>THX Ultra2 Processing</span>
<li>Variable Bass Management for Multi-channel Output
<li>5 Years Special Warranty</ul>The flagship Z9 also includes YPAO (Yamaha Automatic Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) function, which automatically analyzes room acoustics, then sets parameters for optimum sound quality at the listening position, via a fully parametric EQ, at the touch of a button.

Audioholics should be reviewing this monster receiver shortly and will be sure to give it a thorough workout so that you get the whole scoop on this latest offering from Yamaha.

MSRP: $4499
Available: November 2003

Edit: Added images</font>

Saint

Saint

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Seems like a dumb place to have the power cord input.

Also, what does the firewire do?

Also, where do the &quot;effects&quot; speakers go, and what are they for?</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Well the reigning champ of flagship receivers is about to lose big time, Denon better have something really good up their sleeves for next year.  170w x 7 plus 50w x 2, not to mention the, oh six component video in 2 out, and the dual firewire, and digital zone2, the only way to beat this is to have dual DVI-D in, and upconversion to DVI-D and a 200w x 7 amp 8ohms.

Well if I win the lottery I know what I am getting.

I am getting awfully anxious to read the review of the 5803.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Yes I noticed the power chord placement. &nbsp;This is probably due to the innovative modular design.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>My review of the AVR-5803 is complete. &nbsp;Denon is currently reviewing it to make sure I didn't make any technical errors or oversights. &nbsp;It should be posted in about a week or less. &nbsp;Thanks for your patience. &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000080'>Effects speakers are designed to be placed above and outside of the mains. They are activated by the Yamaha DSP modes and serve to truly widen the sound stage.

They are the neatest thing since sliced bread IMHO.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>I am curious to see what the HD Cinema DSP is, and if it will allow the user to enable THX Ultra2 Cinema and Music along with Yamaha's DSP algorythms. &nbsp;I heard that they may have even found a way to enhance the surround backs to have a stereo sound rather two mono channels.

:)~

Bob</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I find it very strange that Yamaha has included DCDi scaling in this model. What purpose could this possibly serve? ANYONE using a receiver at this level is going to have a p-scan player (probably a high-end one) and an HDTV.

wtf?

And if anyone can manage to list 6 separate component sources, I will be mightily impressed. Come on, people.

I would much prefer to see money from &quot;features&quot; like that and those mega-DSP chips go into the actual fidelity of the sound, i.e. better DACs and amplifier output stages.

Anyways, I sell Yamaha and will look forward to seeing how this thing actually performs compared to say the Denon 5803 or Pioneer 49txi.</font>

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>And if anyone can manage to list 6 separate component sources, I will be mightily impressed. Come on, people.</font>
<font color='#000080'>I ate crow for this one in another forum (open wide!):<ul><li>DVD player
<li>HD Set-top CableTV/Satellite box
<li>XBox
<li>PlayStation 2
<li>Game Cube
<li>HTPC
<li>Tivo/DVR</ul>
I could see eating up at least 4 if I had some extra dough... Right now I use 2.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Does anyone ACTUALLY have PS2, XBox AND GameCube?? WHY?? At least 75% of the console games made today are released cross-platform.

So REALISTICALLY, I would say that 95% of the people buying an RX-Z9 will have

- DVD
- HD Satellite/Cable box
- one of the console game systems

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for flexibility and upgrade paths, but it seems that time and again the focus of the Big 3 receiver manufacturers is on I/O and DSPs rather than the fundamentals of sound quality.

I do applaud Yamaha for moving to a toroid transformer and better binding posts, but there's still a LOT missing. The unit's not even grounded!!

IMHO, Denon is still the fidelity leader in this category. Agree/disagree?</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Monotech;

Firstly, I think it is a great idea for the receiver to be the demarcation point for video switching and upconversion.  Rest assured with the horsepower of the Z9, it will probably do a better job of upconverting and de-interlacing than most flagship DVD players.

As for better DAC's, the Z9 features brand new State of the Art Bi-CMOS Burr Brown DAC's which are probably the best audio DAC's, and most expensive on the market.

As for Denon being the leader, not sure.  I can tell you that Denon and Yamaha however are, and have in the past, setting industry trends for others to follow.  I suspect the Z9 and future Denon products will set the standard once again.

[edited: fixed spelling errors]</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Actually if I had the money to buy this receiver I would also have these items that use component video;

HTPC: Upscaled DVD, Internet, Gaming, Adobe and Macromedia Products as well.
HDTV: Cable Box
DVD: Recorder (Analog NTSC Only)
DVHS: Playback and Recording of HD Material Only
PS2: v2 with built IR and Progressive Scan &amp; video games only

That makes 5 so yeah I can find a reason for multiple component video inputs

Bob</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>WOW! I like. Looks like Yamaha also understands that you may have both a MD/TAPE and a CDR. I look forward to the review on this one. &nbsp;
</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Yes power cord does seem like it will be an issue. Is there any user advantage to the two modules?

Is the i.Link proprietary or standard 1394 open format? Can't tell from the picture if they are inputs or outputs, I suppose to be useful you'd need one of each.

I was hoping this would be the first of the new breed with HDMI interfaces. Guess we'll have to keep waiting.

Paul</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Time to get rid of my DSP-AZ1 and then go out and rob a bank. Yamaha rules and anything else is inconsequential.

BTW: even the ancient RXV-800 has MD/Tape and CDR inputs.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>I am curious to see if it Utilizes Dual Differential DAC configuration or not.

Bob</font>

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Any idea if Yamaha has applied variable crossover control to all 7 main channels, in addition to the LFE channel?</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Why has Yamaha Provided a 200Mhz bandwidth for video? This is for a 6Mhz video channel (off air) maybe 7Mhz if you have a really top notch DVD player. How does the extra bandwidth help?

I would much rather have seen 12 bit processing instead of 10 bit. There are lots of displays, even plasmas which claim a greater than 1000:1 contrast ratio. The 108Mhz (8x) oversampling is nice.

My preference would have been for greater bit depth over more video bandwidth, I think this might have given more video bang for the buck.

Paul</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi All
First let me say that I am a huge fan of Yamaha There build quality and dependability are surpassed by none But.....
This new &quot;Flagship&quot; is missing one of the most inovative
features that other Flagship receivers will have DVI switching  
This feature will be standard on most all Flagship receivers
next year along with the next generation DVI DVD players
Sony,Denon,Pioneer will all be showing new DVI Players and
DVI capable reveivers at CEDIA  Many will have a DVI player
and a DVI STB HD Receiver and Monitor by the first of the year How are they going to switch from the DVD player to the STB without DVI switching?  Many will choose to still use the
Compnent inputs but my guess is thoese that have the cash to buy this receiver will also have a DVI Monitor or projector and will expect the same level of performance from there video
that they are getting form there audio  If any of you have
used the DVI inputs on your Monitors you know what I am talking about the advantages and performance gains of DVI
are not to be taken lightly The other thing I noticed was the
6-8 ohm rating on the speaker output terminals that also states if you run 6 ohm spaeakers go into the display
Yamaha has always had this on the back of there recivers
I allways assumed Yamaha did this to CYA
it was a manual switch in most cases I have had no trouble
with even 4 ohm speakers with the switch left in the 8 ohm
position with the DSP-A1 nad RXV-1 but I allways kept it in the back of my mind to go easy &nbsp;I would have liked to see
the sign on the back of the reveiver say speaker inputs
4-8 ohms</font>

<font color='#000080'>This is repeatedly the biggest &quot;missing&quot; feature I keep hearing about with regards to the Z9... We've got a &quot;call&quot; in to Yamaha about it.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis