Yamaha AVR question

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I have a Yamaha RX-A670 in one HT system and a RX-A1060 in another. Both systems are 7 channel (mains, center, rear surrounds and front presence or "height" as some may call them). I like the Yamaha "7 channel stereo" option for movies and TV. Seems like my surrounds are more active in this mode. I built my surrounds and front presence, so I want to hear them! All four sets are souped-up Radio Shack Minimus 7's and 77's. They sound amazing. Fronts and centers in both systems are Klipsch.
Here is my situation: The A670 in 7 ch mode shows 7 channels lit up on the display and all seven are active. But with the A1060 in 7 ch mode, only 5 are lit up and the front presence speakers are off. I know they are "seen" by the receiver. In all other Dolby Digital modes, they show 7 speakers lit up and you can hear the front presence are on. Anyone know how to set my A1060 so that all seven speakers are active in 7 ch mode? I cannot find a setting for that.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have a Yamaha RX-A670 in one HT system and a RX-A1060 in another. Both systems are 7 channel (mains, center, rear surrounds and front presence or "height" as some may call them). I like the Yamaha "7 channel stereo" option for movies and TV. Seems like my surrounds are more active in this mode. I built my surrounds and front presence, so I want to hear them! All four sets are souped-up Radio Shack Minimus 7's and 77's. They sound amazing. Fronts and centers in both systems are Klipsch.
Here is my situation: The A670 in 7 ch mode shows 7 channels lit up on the display and all seven are active. But with the A1060 in 7 ch mode, only 5 are lit up and the front presence speakers are off. I know they are "seen" by the receiver. In all other Dolby Digital modes, they show 7 speakers lit up and you can hear the front presence are on. Anyone know how to set my A1060 so that all seven speakers are active in 7 ch mode? I cannot find a setting for that.
What is the amp setting on the 1060? Think it defaults to “basic 5.1” unless you choose “7.1 plus zone 2” or something similar. I’m away this weekend but can follow up Monday if you need. I have 2060 and 770 and 681. I recently had to change out of “basic amp mode” on the 770 so I could enable zone 2 in my garage. (I setup the treadmill out there). :)

Edit: It’s in menu, settings, manual speaker setup, amp mode. Or something similiar.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I went through my set-up for 5 speakers plus front presence (5.1.2). It is that exact same set-up when I did my other system with the A670. Not sure what I could have missed here. I used the Yamaha AV set-up app on my android tablet. Anything specific I can look for? I did open up the manual set-up too and found nothing to actually change.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I went through my set-up for 5 speakers plus front presence (5.1.2). It is that exact same set-up when I did my other system with the A670. Not sure what I could have missed here. I used the Yamaha AV set-up app on my android tablet. Anything specific I can look for? I did open up the manual set-up too and found nothing to actually change.
Oh so both are 5.1.2 but the 7ch stereo dsp works different between 670 and 1060 right now?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Yep. One set up (A670) is 5.2.2. Other than that, same. Any ideas?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Tomorrow morning, I will go through the set again. At one time, I did use an external amp for the mains. Not sure that makes a diff, since I believe I have gone through the set up since. But just in case, I will do it again.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m out of town but can try to see what my 2060 does Monday.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just checked my CX-A5100. My system is 5.2.4, so 9 total speakers.

For NeuralX and 11CH Stereo modes, the LCD shows all 9 speakers.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I found the setting. First, I went through set-up again. Nothing changed. Then went into DSP on screen, 7 channel, tools. Height Balance was at zero. I turned that up and now the front display on 7 channel Stereo, all 7 speakers are lit. And it sounds great. I love front presence because it makes my mains (fully crited Forte' II's) sound 10 feet tall. I was worried that my receiver went bad.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I found out how it got set to zero. On the Android app you can change the height balance. So that is where I did that, not knowing I shut the FP's off!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I found out how it got set to zero. On the Android app you can change the height balance. So that is where I did that, not knowing I shut the FP's off!
True. That Yamaha AV Controller remote app is awesome. But it also makes it extremely easy to change your settings. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis