Yamaha Aventage A6 or A8 or anything else

S

sikeward

Audiophyte
Long time listener first time caller, lol. I have been a audio enthusiast for years. Unfortunately some of my equipment is starting to shows its age. I'm in the market for a new receiver. The old Denon AVR-3806 and it's 2 hdmi ports or a bit outdated. What even more out dates is the fact that it has 10 s-video ports. Either way I would like to upgrade and knowing that whatever I get I will keep for another 20 years I want to make it a good one. I did stop at a local high end store that stocked multiple brands including many that were outside my price range. But unfortunately none of there receivers were hooked up and able to demonstrate. There return policy was very limited and lastly they were pushing Sony ES over Yamaha Advantage. So what are your guys thoughts and recommendations? I am mostly a music listener. I am very tech savvy and enjoy lots of settings. If I watch 10 movies a year that is allot for me. Feel free to blast me on any of the products that I currently own.

Current System
Denon AVR-3806
Adcom GFA-555 MKII
Sony Blue ray player nothing special
Nvidia Shield Pro
Polk LSi 25 (fronts)
Polk LSi Center
Polk LSi Bi-pole
Polk LSi 9 (rears)
Klipsch c-310aswi (sub)
Monster AVS2000 voltage stabilizer
Monster HTPS7000 power center
Hometheater Master MX-850 remote

Zones

Deck outside
Sonos Port
Adcom GFA-5300
Klipsch 650 speakers

Garage
Sonos Amp
in-wall infinity CS-60

Family Room
Sonos Amp
Polk RC-60i in ceiling speakers

Master Bedroom
Sonos Beam Gen2

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, Yamaha A6 vs A8 are both excellent choices, so choosing between the 2 is difficult when money is a factor for most of us.

Even as a dealer, if I were buying an AVR for MYSELF right now, I'm not sure if I would go with the A6 or A8. :D

But I think since I have Flagshipitis, I would probably get the A8 just because it's the flagship and the price difference is NOT big enough for me to worry too much.

S

sikeward

Audiophyte
Yeah, Yamaha A6 vs A8 are both excellent choices, so choosing between the 2 is difficult when money is a factor for most of us.

Even as a dealer, if I were buying an AVR for MYSELF right now, I'm not sure if I would go with the A6 or A8. :D

But I think since I have Flagshipitis, I would probably get the A8 just because it's the flagship and the price difference is NOT big enough for me to worry too much.
Thank you for the reply back. Money is always an issue for all. But I have found in life it is better to spend a few bucks more up front and be satisfied with a purchase vs save a few bucks and question or regret the decision later on. Back in the early 2000's I worked for a high end home audio / electronics store and was able to acquire what I have now through accommodation programs and Polk points, etc. I'm not even sure that is a thing anymore. But it is very hard for me to pull the trigger on something this expensive know what the programs used to be like. In the past I have owned Onkyo, H&K, Denon, Sony, Pioneer Elite, and I always find myself going back to the Yamaha products. What other would you consider or recommend?

Thank you,

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
A Denon X3800H will be familiar after using a Denon for so long and is currently on sale. Onkyo TX-RZ50 is also currently on sale. The Yamaha A4A is comparable in price to the Denon and Onkyo but only powers and processes seven channels compared to the nine powered channels and eleven channels of processing available in the Denon and Onkyo. DIRAC is available in the Denon and Onkyo.

Denon will use HEOS for any music streaming services and Yamaha will use MusicCast. Onkyo has built in music service apps in their receivers and they also work with DTS Play-Fi and Sonos Connect. All makes support Airplay 2. Chromecast is supported in the Denon and Onkyo, but not in the Yamaha.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok. I’ll be the guy. This system could use a new subwoofer!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What other would you consider or recommend?

Thank you,
I think it's usually Denon/Marantz or Yamaha.

I used to own all Denon (like the flagships AVP-A1HDCI and AVR-5308CI). Then I went to Yamaha. Both sound great. I suppose every brand has pros and cons.

Last edited:
S

sikeward

Audiophyte
Ok. I’ll be the guy. This system could use a new subwoofer!
lol that’s funny. Don’t worry I am always open to a bit of criticism. I went to an audio store locally and listened and couldn’t believe I picked the klipsch in a blind test. I also looked at svs and a few others. Crazy I know. I think it sounds good. The only other product that I have ever liked from klipsch is their outdoor speakers. I used to sell klipsch and only would show if asked.

P

Phil J N.Z.

Junior Audioholic
Long time listener first time caller, lol. I have been a audio enthusiast for years. Unfortunately some of my equipment is starting to shows its age. I'm in the market for a new receiver. The old Denon AVR-3806 and it's 2 hdmi ports or a bit outdated. What even more out dates is the fact that it has 10 s-video ports. Either way I would like to upgrade and knowing that whatever I get I will keep for another 20 years I want to make it a good one. I did stop at a local high end store that stocked multiple brands including many that were outside my price range. But unfortunately none of there receivers were hooked up and able to demonstrate. There return policy was very limited and lastly they were pushing Sony ES over Yamaha Advantage. So what are your guys thoughts and recommendations? I am mostly a music listener. I am very tech savvy and enjoy lots of settings. If I watch 10 movies a year that is allot for me. Feel free to blast me on any of the products that I currently own.

Current System
Denon AVR-3806
Adcom GFA-555 MKII
Sony Blue ray player nothing special
Nvidia Shield Pro
Polk LSi 25 (fronts)
Polk LSi Center
Polk LSi Bi-pole
Polk LSi 9 (rears)
Klipsch c-310aswi (sub)
Monster AVS2000 voltage stabilizer
Monster HTPS7000 power center
Hometheater Master MX-850 remote

Zones

Deck outside
Sonos Port
Adcom GFA-5300
Klipsch 650 speakers

Garage
Sonos Amp
in-wall infinity CS-60

Family Room
Sonos Amp
Polk RC-60i in ceiling speakers

Master Bedroom
Sonos Beam Gen2
You have nice gear, as for new receiver well really need to be able to hear it with your speakers to be certain you make the right decision, in my case my Marantz SR6007 died on the centre channel and repairing it was not cost effective. I had a late model Pioneer that was given to me in full working order but there was no way no matter how much I tried I could get the sound as good as my old Marantz even though the Pioneer had more power, so I went and purchased a Marantz SR7015 and I love it, I do like movies but am more in to music.

If I were you I would plumb for Denon or Marantz, they do say that Marantz are more Musical if that helps.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
lol that’s funny. Don’t worry I am always open to a bit of criticism. I went to an audio store locally and listened and couldn’t believe I picked the klipsch in a blind test. I also looked at svs and a few others. Crazy I know. I think it sounds good. The only other product that I have ever liked from klipsch is their outdoor speakers. I used to sell klipsch and only would show if asked.
If they sound good and you are happy, then they’re good. Not a contest.

S

sikeward

Audiophyte
I figured you guy would eat me up for the monster cable & power centers. Wait till I tell you that is what all my wiring is. Hey I was young and gullible. And now I can't bring myself to toss it knowing what I spent on it. I think I might look around and see if there is a place nearby that carries Marantz.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
I figured you guy would eat me up for the monster cable & power centers. Wait till I tell you that is what all my wiring is. Hey I was young and gullible. And now I can't bring myself to toss it knowing what I spent on it. I think I might look around and see if there is a place nearby that carries Marantz.
AH is Well known on it's forums and the Home page as having a Tough crowd especially when it comes to snake all products, debunking etcetera. Choosing any gear for home audio be it AVR, speakers, sub etc. Is a personal choice. Here on AH our Moderators are some of the best, some of the coolest on any forums.

Sure, there maybe a little criticism even a little mocking every now and then but it's not detrimental. You seem the stand you ground well. You're definitely not a youngster in home audio. I'm looking at your gear list, you've been around a while in this rabbit hole of audio video.

Take all Comments suggestions of choice of gear and any comments about your gear with a grain of salt. Just don't use to much salt, one can become to salty. One more thing, the only President on this form is Gene Dellasala, Owner of this website.

"We the People" of AH,;) don't have any stinking Honorary president. Stick around nobody can bite you over here And if one does, just bite them back so to speak in a friendly manner. :)

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The Sony gear is not bad and their surround processing is supposed to work well but if you're a music mostly person then I would also recommend Yamaha and Denon/Marantz. My Denon 2310ci was getting old and my wife wanted a bigger screen in the living room, so I moved it and my plasma to the living room and picked up a Denon X4800H. It was more than what I originally budgeted for, but like you, I keep my gear for a long time and opted to spend more on something a little better for longevity.

Sound quality on Yamaha and Denon will be pretty much the same, so think about features. Is room correction something you'll use? Would you pay for Dirac if available? Do you use streaming services? Denon has HEOS but from comments here I get the impression that MusicCast is nicer to use. Equivalent Marantz will cost a little more for a different look but also a good option. Current deals on Denon are pretty good though so might depend on whether you can get a good deal on the Yamaha as well, or wait for one to come along.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis