Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree for waiting and bugs, but it's not new anymore, as third gen of chips is being developed. It's been around for more than 3 years already. A lot of sources and sink devices with HDMI 2.1 work just fine, such as several TVs, monitors and graphics cards. I cannot complain for direct connections at all.

It is repeater and transceiver HDMI 2.1 chips in AVR/AVP that have been a problem because several vendors did not want to wait to test and validate boards properly. They rushed it in a greedy way and paid heavy price in consumer confidence, anger and returns. Lack of validation pathway is the main reason why Trinnov, for example, did not want to rush it and they are still waiting for properly working chips.

My impression is that pride, arrogance and ignorance played a big part in several botched launches in 2020 and 2021. I hope this never repeats again.
But HDMI 2.1 is backward-compatible with HDMI 2.0, right?

So for guys like @Replicant 7 who doesn’t care about HDMI 2.1, he can just pretend that his Yamaha still has HDMI 2.0 for now until they fully implement the HDMI 2.1 firmware, which he isn’t in a hurry for since he doesn’t need it. :D

Isn’t that better than not being able to upgrade to 2.1 with a firmware?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

So for guys like @Replicant 7 who doesn’t care about HDMI 2.1, he can just pretend that his Yamaha still has HDMI 2.0 for now until they fully implement the HDMI 2.1 firmware, which he isn’t in a hurry for since he doesn’t need it. :D

Why upgrade at today's costs if not to have the new technology?
;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree for waiting and bugs, but it's not new anymore, as third gen of chips is being developed. It's been around for more than 3 years already. A lot of sources and sink devices with HDMI 2.1 work just fine, such as several TVs, monitors and graphics cards. I cannot complain for direct connections at all.

It is repeater and transceiver HDMI 2.1 chips in AVR/AVP that have been a problem because several vendors did not want to wait to test and validate boards properly. They rushed it in a greedy way and paid heavy price in consumer confidence, anger and returns. Lack of validation pathway is the main reason why Trinnov, for example, did not want to rush it and they are still waiting for properly working chips.

My impression is that pride, arrogance and ignorance played a big part in several botched launches in 2020 and 2021. I hope this never repeats again.
Mind, I do agree.
I find it pathetic we are seeing these problems, and worse that one company hasn't enabled the technology on their latest product.
*sighs

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic

I guess majority of users buy AVR/AVP and never use some features on offer, which is fine, but that's not the point here. No company designs an AVR for one specific user who would not care about this or that feature. For example, most people would never use all speaker terminals or USB DSD capability or Auro 3D or other single feature.

What is better, and who for, is always debatable, of course.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I knew full well going in, that 2.1 wasn't ready, not even close. Way back when Gene first mentioned it in one of his articles. Alone with his recommendation for a workaround, by just running your 2.1 Video source if you had a 2.1 source and a 2.1, 4K tv HDMI input and or PC straight from the source of either and use ARC back to your AVR. I've Never been a fan of my AVR having anything to do with my Video source. My 4K tv can upscale probably better than any AVR source coming into it. Why would anyone want your Video source processed by anything other than your 4K tv and or a 4K player. I needed a AVR, I sold off my A1080. I tried out Yamaha's V6A, and the RX-A2A. Both sounded good performed well for what it was. Sold one off sent one back for full refund than ordered the RX-A4A from Andrew. Outside of that one glitch about two weeks ago, which I've come to believe was caused by my Netflix streaming app and or my 4K TV ARC, can't prove that though. All has been really good with no issues, going 7 months in use. My Sony X700M 4K player had two HDMI'S out.One for Video/Audio and one just with Audio out. The Video/Audio runs to my 4K TV HDMI (ARC) input. The HDMI Audio only output from my Sony X700M runs to my RX-A4A, AVR never has anything to do with the Video source. Now my PS4 has HDMI Video/Audio out to my AVR, HDMI link of PS4 is set to off and Video on RX-A4A is set to Direct. Doesn't process anything of video signal.

Last edited:

lc6

Junior Audioholic
In the context of @AcuDefTechGuy 's earlier post, there are two aspects to consider: a dream wish list of features (unrealizable) and the real performance per spec. In my experience, the A6A fell short of the latter. I could probably live with the lack of 8k HDMI support for a while, but the 15-second audio gap at every change of program material on my TV was not acceptable. Apart from the excessive HDMI PLL sync time, I suspect this could also be a result of the auto-detect of the format of the input signal (e.g. stereo PCM, Dolby Digital, etc.). If it is done in hardware, a firmware workaround may not be possible, and I was not willing to bet it would be.
Incidentally, based on your opinions, I just ordered a PSB XC and a pair of XAs to work with my old "Yammy." They are currently on sale online, so if you have been considering a purchase, now might be the right time, given all the recent price inflation of the A/V gear.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
if you have been considering a purchase, now might be the right time, given all the recent price inflation of the A/V gear.
I doubt increased prices of AVRs will hold up for longer for specific devices that have developed reputation for being not fully functional or buggy. Increasing number of people have been opting for more convenient audio solutions, such as soundbars. This is what global sales analysis suggests.

Many people in mainstream market are fed-up with new gen receivers and spared themselves troubles by going for soundbar. Global AVR/AVP sales grows ~1.1% a year and soundbars ~3.5%. Soundbar market is already 2.5 times bigger than AVRs and very vibrant. Both trends have the biggest share in Europe, then North America, then China, and the rest.

TVs have enough HDMI ports to handle main sources, so HDMI boards on AVRs are becoming a questionable asset, especially if they do not work fully or as advertised.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Mind, I do agree.
I find it pathetic we are seeing these problems, and worse that one company hasn't enabled the technology on their latest product.
*sighs
Sure glad I didn't get a Denon or Marantz AVR. Denon been pushing the 4700 off on unsuspecting Denon fanboys for 500 bucks more, then their 3700, just as good amp wise. Marantz booyah! cost more than Denon and you get this to worry about. From ASR site,
Screenshot_20220414-212206~2.png

And this , from ASR site,
Screenshot_20220414-212142~2.png

Denon using the same amp board in their 3700 and 4700 but charging 500 bucks more for the 4700. Talk about screwing over the Denon fan club!:p That's pathetic even worse from a company like Denon and Marantz.lol :D
Yamaha, heavy is the head that wears the crown.:D It's been slow here sooo.. let's get ready to rumble!:p

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
At what point does this thread get retitled to "Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up On Power and HOLD OUT on 8K Features?" It is 2022 for f#%k's sake.;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
At what point does this thread get retitled to "Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up On Power and HOLD OUT on 8K Features?" It is 2022 for f#%k's sake.;)
Yamaha went up 100 bucks on all of their Adventage line.:oops:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yamaha went up 100 bucks on all of their Adventage line.:oops:
Ya man. It's a lot of flippin' labor that has to be covered, what with all the emails asking "when" and them having to deflect, deflect, deflect.
Hell, I'm surprised at this point they didn't just up it by half again the original MSRP!
1649993046541.png

The medical bills of them laughing their way to the bank are probably piling up so high their insurance rates got raised!
Do you want some ice for that burn - MR bean | Meme Generator
:p

(Does that help you feel a little more complete, Mike... Here, while its slow?)
Best Talk To Me About Sweet Kisses GIFs | Gfycat

;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Or call it, “grab the yamalube and sit down for the circle jerk and grab aSS festival”

Talk about edging…

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ya man. It's a lot of flippin' labor that has to be covered, what with all the emails asking "when" and them having to deflect, deflect, deflect.

;)
Should balance out since they have like zero warranty service to cover. I mean they’re at least 105% reliable

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
And without a firmware update?:oops: Ol' one eye got some balls.:p
I just so happened to get a email from Yamaha, a marketing email yesterday. So I jumped on their site was reading up on what they sent me. Went over to their AVR page and saw the price increases. Was like, dam! WTF! Great replies guys! :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hell, I'm surprised at this point they didn't just up it by half again the original MSRP!
View attachment 55391
The medical bills of them laughing their way to the bank are probably piling up so high their insurance rates got raised!
Do you want some ice for that burn - MR bean | Meme Generator
:p

(Does that help you feel a little more complete, Mike... Here, while its slow?)
Best Talk To Me About Sweet Kisses GIFs | Gfycat

;)
LMAO! the first pic.. lmao!! Spitz coffee out!! :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis