Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
The last thing I want is a AVR to process the video signal.
From HDMI input, say from console, AVR needs to unpack audio from video. This is already minimal processing. If everything goes well, you get sound and video continues onto a display.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
That’s why you use pass through. Most AVR’s afaik going back a loooong ways, pass video signals untouched with zero degradation. You “can” use the AVR to process video signals, but can’t imagine why you’d want to.
Just makes it simpler.
Oh duh! My very first stereo that could pass video was back in the VHS day's.:rolleyes: The 2.1 issue thing that's got the AVR manufacturers by the balls. Guess they asked to get kicked in the balls..That was my point. Turn All that sh&t off guy's! CEC turn that off! HDMI sync turn that sh&t off! Just reach over grab the remotes turn each source on! Plus you get some exercise.. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh duh! My very first stereo that could pass video was back in the VHS day's.:rolleyes: The 2.1 issue thing that's got the AVR manufacturers by the balls. Guess they asked to get kicked in the balls..That was my point. Turn All that sh&t off guy's! CEC turn that off! HDMI sync turn that sh&t off! Just reach over grab the remotes turn each source on! Plus you get some exercise.. :D
I agree. I don’t have a use for cec hdmi control etc. just fukks things up. If it actually worked though…..lmao.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hell, I got one for you guy's! Back in the early '80s there wasn't anything remotely close to surround or TV's with audio out. Guess what ole Mike did? I pulled the back off of my 25" Magnavox TV, cut the two stereo speaker wires, splice them RCA cables, ran that to my Realistic 45 watts x 2 stereo input and Walla! Had stereo 4 channel, simulated surround! yeah I pushed in both A/B together. Wife thought I was a genius!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, some use facts with mixed in shots at new Aventage owner's. With like umm , (guinea pigs) umm (brainless fan club members). Lol, that there is some funny sh&t I tell you. Who spends, 4K on two speakers with 5 1/4" shrimp midget drivers, than gotta spend 3k on two, 3 subs to get bass cause them, home made midget driver speakers can't hit low enough Bass. :D
Wait. Who's brainless fan club members? :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hell, I got one for you guy's! Back in the early '80s there wasn't anything remotely close to surround or TV's with audio out. Guess what ole Mike did? I pulled the back off of my 25" Magnavox TV, cut the two stereo speaker wires, splice them RCA cables, ran that to my Realistic 45 watts x 2 stereo input and Walla! Had stereo 4 channel, simulated surround! yeah I pushed in both A/B together. Wife thought I was a genius!
Nice! I was doing that in the early mid 80’s, when I was about 10. My mom did NOT think was genious in regards to her newish Zenith console tv. Sounded good though!!!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Nice! I was doing that in the early mid 80’s, when I was about 10. My mom did NOT think was genious in regards to her newish Zenith console tv. Sounded good though!!!
You remember them, super tweeters that Radio Shack sold. Well I came home one day with 4 of those super tweeters. Lol..wife didn't know what to think on that one. Them Radio Shack speakers weren't that great with topend. If I remember right they had paper tweeters in them speakers. Had dual cassette deck, umm added a watt meter just for the hell of it, 7 band EQ, even still had a 8 track deck. Lived in a mobile home, well those are notorious for when you walk not even to hard your turntable needle would go to jumping all over the album. So I hung my turntable from the ceiling on a plate of plexiglass with four gold chains on each side cool poop I tell you! Smoked my share weed and somebody else's, that was the best days man..

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You remember them, super tweeters that Radio Shack sold. Well I came home one day with 4 of those super tweeters. Lol..wife didn't know what to think on that one. Them Radio Shack speakers weren't that great with topend. If I remember right they had paper tweeters in them speakers. Had dual cassette deck, umm added a watt meter just for the hell of it, 7 band EQ, even still had a 8 track deck. Lived in a mobile home, well those are notorious for when you walk not even to hard your turntable needle would go to jumping all over the album. So I hung my turntable from the ceiling on a plate of plexiglass with four gold chains on each side cool poop I tell you! Smoked my share weed and somebody else's, that was the best days man..
Lmao. Just had a flashback… lmao

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You ain't wrong. I think it is more the fault of the sloppy standard than it is Yamaha. Seems like there are issues with other brands as well.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I think it is more the fault of the sloppy standard than it is Yamaha. Seems like there are issues with other brands as well.
This depends. Although HDMI Forum did not mandate vendors to list port speeds of their devices, majority of companies were upfront about it in the adverts, including Sound United, Onkyo, Microsoft and Nvidia. Sound United clearly stated that their AVRs had 40 Gbps ports. Yamaha was hiding this information for a year, until openly challenged to admit that their 2020 models had 24 Gbps ports. Port speed infleunces device compatibility and video signals. On their 2021 models, they are finally more open about it and list ports as 40 Gbps.

C

chapp

Audioholic
Hi fellas: Let's start discussing issues with the Aventage line once more as this thread started out to guide the ones who has it and to assist the ones who want to own it. Has anyone with an Aventage series, the new A4 to A8 experienced any new anomalies? Well, I noticed that while watching TV news few nights back the sound just went off. The "decoder off" was displayed. I rebooted the Sony TV, and it did nothing. Then I rebooted the A8 and left the TV off, too, then rebooted both. It began decoding after that, but I noticed that the delay to get the initial sound from the TV was longer than usual. That's right after the final "Click" on the AVR. Now 2 days later, it appears to be back to normal timing with the TV, however, last night while watching an Atmos movie "Old Guard" on Netflix, the decoder went off 2 times "Decoder off" message on display. I had to exit the movie and restart it for the sound decoder to begin decoding the signal once more. This was using the Apple TV 4K 2nd gen. I can attest that it is not anything to do with cables.
I would advise you all to keep playing different materials and format to see if any type of issues show up on these receivers. Do not just play one type of material but try out various sound sources and make sure all is up to snuff.
regards.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Even if you reprogramm the chip, electrical traces are the ones that can also generate noise, and this is hardware. This is why some high-end PC motherboards employ 10 and even 12-layer PCB, to reduce interfences and noise along data lanes and isolate them as much as possible.
Having done PCB board layouts, there are numerous reasons why you add layers to a PCB board, one of them being realestate. The more components you put on a board, the more layers are required. Each layer adds a significant cost to the board. Electrical traces dont generate noise but conduct it from a source.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Hi fellas: Let's start discussing issues with the Aventage line once more as this thread started out to guide the ones who has it and to assist the ones who want to own it. Has anyone with an Aventage series, the new A4 to A8 experienced any new anomalies? Well, I noticed that while watching TV news few nights back the sound just went off. The "decoder off" was displayed. I rebooted the Sony TV, and it did nothing. Then I rebooted the A8 and left the TV off, too, then rebooted both. It began decoding after that, but I noticed that the delay to get the initial sound from the TV was longer than usual. That's right after the final "Click" on the AVR. Now 2 days later, it appears to be back to normal timing with the TV, however, last night while watching an Atmos movie "Old Guard" on Netflix, the decoder went off 2 times "Decoder off" message on display. I had to exit the movie and restart it for the sound decoder to begin decoding the signal once more. This was using the Apple TV 4K 2nd gen. I can attest that it is not anything to do with cables.
I would advise you all to keep playing different materials and format to see if any type of issues show up on these receivers. Do not just play one type of material but try out various sound sources and make sure all is up to snuff.
regards.
I experienced exactly this for the first time yesterday while looking something on my AppleTV and doing fast forward. At some point I had no sound anymore. I just did a back to AppleTV menu and relaunch the same video, everything returned to normal. Don’t know if it’s the AppleTV or the amp.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I experienced exactly this for the first time yesterday while looking something on my AppleTV and doing fast forward. At some point I had no sound anymore. I just did a back to AppleTV menu and relaunch the same video, everything returned to normal. Don’t know if it’s the AppleTV or the amp.
Try and see if you can reproduce this glitch at will. If you have an older AVR, connect the apple to it and another pair of speakers and try and reproduce it on that. If it happens with the older setup, then you its the Apple.

C

chapp

Audioholic
I did notice it happen on HBO when I FF sometimes. However, I was surprised when it did it without touching anything while viewing TV and also from Apple TV. Do you also get a green flash at times with the Apple TV? This only happens if I use Apple TV for YouTube. During times if Apple TV is on screensaver mode. And, I think, while in the main menu of the Apple TV. It is an annoying bright Green Flash. It does not occur while watching any programs. This is a brand-new Apple TV I got 1 week ago.
From searching online: Others are experiencing this same issue (Green Flash)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Andrew! Where the hell you been man! I've been getting bushwacked all day! ;) lol, umm just some harmless snowball fights is all.
Yeah you’ve been getting jabs all day. You’re getting a nose bleed and bruises. :D

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I am just enjoying the heck out of my HT room all day all night. Just loving my new toy - the Epson EB-PU1006W. :D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I did notice it happen on HBO when I FF sometimes. However, I was surprised when it did it without touching anything while viewing TV and also from Apple TV. Do you also get a green flash at times with the Apple TV? This only happens if I use Apple TV for YouTube. During times if Apple TV is on screensaver mode. And, I think, while in the main menu of the Apple TV. It is an annoying bright Green Flash. It does not occur while watching any programs. This is a brand-new Apple TV I got 1 week ago.
From searching online: Others are experiencing this same issue (Green Flash)
I spent half an hour between music, YouTube, AppleTV+, fast forward, leaving video, resume, changing from stereo to surround decoder, to AI decoder without any green flash or losing sound. Seems to be a very rare glitch as I used my amp maybe 200-300h without any Decoder off glitch. It occurred once yesterday

C

chapp

Audioholic
I spent half an hour between music, YouTube, AppleTV+, fast forward, leaving video, resume, changing from stereo to surround decoder, to AI decoder without any green flash or losing sound. Seems to be a very rare glitch as I used my amp maybe 200-300h without any Decoder off glitch. It occurred once yesterday
Can you check this on your Apple TV to see what setting its on: Dolby Vision 50 Hz or 60 Hz
Thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis