Yamaha AV Rec: Subwoofer & VCR Connections

G

GMD999

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I recently purchased the Yamaha RX-V630 AV Receiver and I have a couple of questions about connections:

Here is the what I have connected to it:

- Panasonic progressive scan DVD player... S-Video connection directly to the TV; Optical connection to the DIGITAL INPUT jack (#3); and conventional audio connections to the AUDIO jacks. (On the TV I have to select the &quot;VIDEO&quot; mode by pressing the TV/Video button)

- RCA VCR player (an older model)... conventional video connection to the VCR1 VIDEO IN jack; conventional audio connections to the VCR1 AUDIO IN jacks. I also have a conventional video connection from the VIDEO MONITOR OUT jack to the TV. (Normally when using this VCR connected directly to the TV I have to select channel #3 to see the video output)

- ENERGY XL-series speakers... 2 Main speakers, 1 Center speaker, 2 Rear speakers, 1 (10&quot;) powered Subwoofer;

- JVC regular TV... with a conventional Video input jack and an S-Video jack... (the widescreen 16x9 TV is to come later)

Now my 2 questions:

1 - While listening to a DVD movie, the audio signal uses the subwoofer properly... however when I am using the DVD player to play a CD there is no signal being sent to the subwoofer... why not??

2 - When I play a movie on the VCR... the audio signal comes out fine but there is no video signal on the TV... (I tried on both the &quot;VIDEO&quot; mode on the TV and channel #3)... Is the connection wrong?? (The easy solution would be to leave the audio connections as is and to connect the VCR directly to the TV using the conventional video jacks... however the Receiver is supposed to be able to do this!)</font>

G

GMD999

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>

&nbsp;As a follow-up to my 2 questions... I now have the answers...

&nbsp;- there was a setup feature which &nbsp;I had to correct... i.e. I had selected to send the LFE signal to the subwoofer only, whereas I should have slected to send the signal to &quot;BOTH&quot; the subwoofer and both main speakers. With this corrected I am able to utilize the subwoofer when playing audio...

&nbsp;- the second issue is a problem with the TV... i.e. the TV can only handle on input source at a time so... if the S-Video is connected then the composite video input jack doen't work... so I guess the TV upgrade will have to come sooner than I planned if the kids are to watch their VHS tapes!!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis