Yamaha audio receiver problem

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
So I have been using my yamaha rx v995 home theater receiver and it's always had this problem since I bought it around 1 year ago when I turn it on I have to have the volume turned up more than normal for a second and then turn it back down so the speakers don't sound like they are not getting enough power but after that my yamaha works fine what problem is this?

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
A-A-Ron,
Sounds like a likely cold solder joint or poor wiring connection to me; I experienced a similar problem in a passive sub I had replaced the crossover in. In my case, I found and re-soldered the bad joint and it was fine afterwards.

Step 1) Discount-Double-Check and reseat all speaker wiring connections (AVR and speaker side of each wire). If this fixes it the problem was a simple wiring connection problem (unlikely).

Step 2) Investigate - Is the problem in both/all speakers, or only one?

a) If only in one speaker the problem is either in that speaker or that channel in the v995;
- To isolate the problem do the following test: Swap the "suspect speaker" with another speaker in your system to see if the problem follows the "suspect" or not; if the problem follows you have your culprit speaker; if the problem stays the culprit is in that channel on the v995.

b) If in both/all speakers it is very likely in the v995 and possibly a bit more serious (lemon alert!).
- In this case, it could also be a bad potentiometer in the v995 volume circuit

Hope that helps a bit,
XEagleDriver

Last edited:
Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
A-A-Ron,
Sounds like a likely cold solder joint or poor wiring connection to me; I experienced a similar problem in a passive sub I had replaced the crossover in. In my case, I found and re-soldered the bad joint and it was fine afterwards.

Step 1) Discount-Double-Check and reseat all speaker wiring connections (AVR and speaker side of each wire). If this fixes it the problem was a simple wiring connection problem (unlikely).

Step 2) Investigate - Is the problem in both/all speakers, or only one?

a) If only in one speaker the problem is either in that speaker or that channel in the v995;
- To isolate the problem do the following test: Swap the "suspect speaker" with another speaker in your system to see if the problem follows the "suspect" or not; if the problem follows you have your culprit speaker; if the problem stays the culprit is in that channel on the v995.

b) If in both/all speakers it is very likely in the v995 and possibly a bit more serious (lemon alert!).
- In this case, it could also be a bad potentiometer in the v995 volume circuit

Hope that helps a bit,
XEagleDriver
Thanks I was thinking maybe it was a bad solder joint but was never sure I also have another receiver very similar that does the samething.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis