Yamaha AS801, Yamaha RN803 or Outlaw RR2160

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I did not realize that the MA were a little bit of a load. I would suspect the A770 may be a step down from the A860 that Gene found to be so poor in the amplification section. It may not be the slightest issue since only 2 channels will be used, but with that particular AVR there is a chance of improvement moving to something more robust.!
The Bronze 6's impedance phase seems benign, but the magnitude indicate relatively low impedance. I would say in a medium size room, any mid range D&M, Yamaha AVRs can drive them nicely, but the those below the RX-A10X0 may struggle depending on distance and spl requirement. For example, it should be fine if sit within 10 ft listening at 75-80 dB average, but not at near reference (85 dB average).

1549709107919.png

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I can pickup the Marantz pm7005 for $750- which is $250 off. How does it compare with the Yamaha AS801? I like the loudness feature of the Yamaha. But some people swear by the Marantz SQ over the Yamaha. Has anyone compared the two- just in terms of SQ (as read the specs). My speakers are somewhat sensitive - so either will likely be sufficiently power them. Thanks!
Let's put it this way, people report on forums all the time that when they switch to integrated amps or add an external amp right away they hear things they did not hear before, including wider and deeper sound stage. Those are mostly due to expectation (therefore expected) bias and/or not level matching, not the exact same setup etc.. If you happen to be in that camp, go for it. If you are in the overly objective camp who put more faith in verifiable specs/bench test results, and the blind AB comparison protocols, then you may as well keep the RX-A770, that is at least as powerful as the PM7005 if not more, for two channel use.

For $750, you can scoop up a AVR-X3400H and save almost $200, or the SR6012 (basically same on the sonic side) for a little more if you prefer the brand name, style etc. Those AVRs are more powerful than the PM7005 and are more comparable to the A-S801 but come with many useful feature such as far superior bass management, REQ, streaming, and video capabilities that could prove useful. You do have to convince yourself that they are actually stereo receivers with redundant channels, if form follows function is important to you. If you can't do that, then you back to the R-N803 or A-S801, your original wise choices.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I just put a two channel system together recently. I went the seperates route, but I'm running an x3400 as my preamp. I could have gotten anything but the denon was extremely feature rich for the price and i have a display in that room so video features made sense. Also I dont doubt that the 3400 could power the speakers on it's own, but the room is large so I opted for an external when entertaining.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I use a Yamaha 770 in my bedroom 2.1 system. It has plenty of power for my Canton Vento 820.2 bookshelves and it only cost 1/3 of what my Yamaha 2060 cost for my home theater room. The features are mostly the same other than you can adjust 2 subs separately on the 2060 and have 9 instead of 7 channels. (and the amp section is 140 w/ch instead of 95)

L

LPJR

Audioholic Intern
Have yo
I use a Yamaha 770 in my bedroom 2.1 system. It has plenty of power for my Canton Vento 820.2 bookshelves and it only cost 1/3 of what my Yamaha 2060 cost for my home theater room. The features are mostly the same other than you can adjust 2 subs separately on the 2060 and have 9 instead of 7 channels. (and the amp section is 140 w/ch instead of 95)
have you compared the 770 against a dedicated 2 channel interested amp or stereo receiver?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
have you compared the 770 against a dedicated 2 channel interested amp or stereo receiver?
I had older AVRs prior. The A2060 replaced a 2003 RX-V3300. The A770 replaced a 2003 RX-V630.

X

xhattan

Audiophyte
I have same problem. Running 2 channel stereo on a Yamaha A1020 that I retired from HT duties. Speakers are Kef LS50 and Marantz TTS1 turntable. Sound is absolutely incredible. But I really feel that I could get even more out of my setup with a dedicated 2 channel integrated, and I am looking exactly at the same amps the OP is, the 803, the 801 and the Outlaw. The Yamahas have more features but the Outlaw seems better constructed, and it is made in USA. No way to audition any of them, so just gonna go with reviews.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have same problem. Running 2 channel stereo on a Yamaha A1020 that I retired from HT duties. Speakers are Kef LS50 and Marantz TTS1 turntable. Sound is absolutely incredible. But I really feel that I could get even more out of my setup with a dedicated 2 channel integrated, and I am looking exactly at the same amps the OP is, the 803, the 801 and the Outlaw. The Yamahas have more features but the Outlaw seems better constructed, and it is made in USA. No way to audition any of them, so just gonna go with reviews.
The Outlaw 2160 is made in China....not that that matters particularly, the US made amps Outlaw sells are their upper end models, the ATI made ones.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The Outlaw 2160 is made in China....not that that matters particularly, the US made amps Outlaw sells are their upper end models, the ATI made ones.
The 2160 is built in Nanjing, China, conservative but reliable, long running product. Been to the factory many times, they build a lot of NAD, Cambridge/Azur products and do wireless products for many CEDIA brands/products. Regarding Outlaw amplifiers, built in (3) different factories, Nanjing, China, Taiwan, USA..

Just my $0.02... ;)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You are considering putting money into the wrong place. If amps and dacs perform as advertised, an esoteric unit won't improve sound quality.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
But I really feel that I could get even more out of my setup with a dedicated 2 channel integrated
You nailed it right there! You are shopping with your feelings, not with hard data.

That is OK too.....I feel that the RR2160 would look dang sexy in my stack!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Of course the real amp magic is a power amp rather than some compromised integrated amp.... :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis