H

hubb170

Audiophyte
Is the yamaha rx-v465 enough of a receiver to push 6 or 4 ohm speakers? If not, what are the best options for a 5.1 system without breaking the bank?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. The owner's manual is a great place to check out this kind of information. I just looked into the 465 for someone yesterday.

According to the manual, you shouldn't connect speakers with impedances below 6 Ohms to the 465. My belief is that you can run 4-Ohm speakers, but the receiver will likely go into protection mode if you have them too loud because of the increased current draw from the amps due to the lower impedance.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Look for something stronger

Is the yamaha rx-v465 enough of a receiver to push 6 or 4 ohm speakers? If not, what are the best options for a 5.1 system without breaking the bank?
No! At only 18.5 lbs, this AVR is a lightweight in both heft and power. Not only would it be unable to effectively handle a 4 or 6 ohm load, but the advertised power of 105 WPC is inflated as well.

Furthermore, the 465 does not have pre-amp outs (other than surround back), so it is handicapped from adding a power amp after the fact. :(

I would look higher in their line up (starting with the 665 you get pre-amp outs, but even the 665 has a lightweight amp section :confused: ). Or, look at other brands, such as Denon or Onkyo, which are known for having stronger amplifier sections.

I own, use, and like Yammy products. Unfortunately, I believe they took one step forward (adding Dolby TRUE HD & DTS HD) and then two steps back (gutting the power section) in their most recent AVR releases.

r/,
XEagleDriver

Last edited:
H

hubb170

Audiophyte
I was informed recently that the onkyo 607 is on sale on 6th avenue's website for $400. I think for only an extra $70 bucs thats a no brainer now, and if I ever decide to go to 7.1 (though I don't think I will) I will be able.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The amp sections in the current budget line of Yamaha's aren't very robust. I wouldn't hook up 4 Ohm speakers to them. Same with Pioneer. HK, Marantz, Denon, or Onkyo would be better.

J

josko

Audioholic
I run a Yamaha 663 with Polk Lsi9 4 ohm speakers, and it works just fine. Maybe it's not the sound I could get out of a $30k Levinson amp, but it's plenty loud (for a 26' x 18' room), and I can't detect any distortion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis