XSub and the H100 and more

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
cyberbri from AVS, Mike Hood from HTF and the Temple clan got together today to listen to some speakers and subs. We listened for several hours A/Bing musical content and movies until finally we couldn't take it anymore.:)

I'm not going to go into extreme detail and we didn't take pics (sorry), but we stacked the H100 on the DD15, the XSub on the H100 between my RF main and left the SVS in the corner. My kids were late with the XSub so we ran some ripped tones on the other 3 from 160hz-16hz. It was about as expected, output started dropping off for the H100 a bit from 28hz and at 25hz we didn't want to stress it anymore though it was still capable. Both the SVS and Velo went all the way down without stressing, ungodly output down low with these 10 second sine waves.

We went through a music program first, then repeated with each sub. The H100 got most of the work, then the Cadence, SVS and Velo.

Selections from James Taylor (with very nice deep bass) can't remember the track, Battlestar Gallactica Soundtrack with a bunch of intense taiko drumming, some techno, Bjork, all 2.1 and last Deadwing cuts in 5.1 DTS. We went through the entire program with each sub before switching.

My receiver took a dump the other day, so I'm using a replacement Pio 1015TX for awhile. It's got a different sound than my HK, but sounds great with my Polk R50s, CSi3 and R15s. We used a 100hz crossover with the BIC and 80hz with the Cadence. This was based on cyberbri's setup at home. All the subs were calibrated to 77db and luckily I only had to adjust the big subs 1db when we did our switch.

I was very impressed with the H100s looks, the driver (no I didn't take it out) has a huge surround, the box very sturdy and the piano black top very classy. Immediately, I
was impressed at how musical this sub was without any localization. It hit extremely clean, no boominess and hard. As each selection played we all agreed that the sub was getting everything it could, the bass notes were full and dynamic. I'd heard that this sub could be boomy, but in my room, this was absolutely not the case.

Next, we switched to the Cadence XSub. Looks wise, it's a well made, solid box, attractive, but not stylish, heavier than the H100 and has a more powerful amp. Since my sons were late we didn't do tones, just calibrated then started the music program. Subjectively, and from other's measurements, I think these subs are equally capable. The main apparent difference is the driver and amps. The XSubs driver has a much smaller surround and needs the big amp to deliver SPL and extention.

I haven't listened to the XSub for awhile and after the BIC's performance, I thought it would have a hard time performing as well. Surprise, it sounded great too, clean, similar output and very musical. However, we all agreed that while it was close, the H100 sounded better. The Hsu designed sub (surprise) is just a notch up in dynamics. I assume it's the driver and design. Bass notes sounded very good, just not as dynamic. The BIC might also be a bit more efficient though they sounded like output clones.

We all agreed on this.

We did the same program with both the SVS and Velo, both great subs, extremely musical, a ton more output on the low stuff that the budget subs only smelled. My feeling is that the EQd Velo is the more musical sub, but I'm not sure everyone agreed. This is apples and oranges as I've said before. I own the SVS and I'm extremely pleased with it. I'd love to own the Velo, but that ain't happening soon. Nuff said.

We took a break and did some 2 channel listening first with a pair of SBS 01s, cyberbri's older Infinity bookshelves (sorry don't know the model number) and a pair of older NHT 1As that my son found in his garage. I really like the sound of the SBS speaks, flat and clean, great with vocals. cyberbri wanted to hear them as he's considering them against his Infinitys. They are 2 totally different sounding speakers. Both are sealed but the Infinitys are fairly bright, more forward, more efficent and to me colored the sound, but I couldn't really say which I preferred. I think I liked the lack of sibulance and fuller midrange of the SBS speakers. The NHTs though pretty beat up, were the best sounding speakers, much fuller midrange, deeper soundstage and imaged better in my medium sized room.

On to movies...it was getting on, some people had to leave shortly, so we decided to retire the Velo and do one scene with each sub before moving on.

Master & Commander opening battle...started with the Cadence...sounded awesome as it always does. The cannon shots pushed air around in the room just like I remembered. The H100 was next and here I'll differ from the others, I thought the XSub edged the BIC on this one. A bit more impact, very similar sound. The other 4 guys liked the H100 better. The SVS 20-39+ was overwhelming compared to these subs.

We did Darla next and here the BIC was definitely superior output and sound quality.

Everyone had to depart except cyberbri, who wanted to listen to some SVS cuts culminating w/WOTW chapter 5, but the work had been done. Comparing the 2 budget subs side by side was very productive. Both are better than many retail subs selling for hundreds more, but the nod goes to the H100. They are close, but the H100 at close to the same price is the choice.

I've never done one of these types of things before. I'd do things slightly differently again, but it was fun, met a fellow AVSer, got to listen to some new music and great gear. Hope everyone else had fun too.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Ron,

Thanks so much for sharing the GTG impressions and results. I'm sure a lot more guys on a budget will reconsider the H100 and XSUB when shopping for an entry level unit. They definitely do perform, and you get a lot for your money with those two units. I do feel there is a step up from the 12" Advents and PE entry level subs.

I was on Onecall today, checking out their subs. The Carver Dominators they are clearing out reminded me of the H100. Huge surrounds - makes you wonder how these drivers don't hit the grills at max extension.

Were you able to get either the H100 or XSUB to bottom out during WOTA? I've witnesses huge chuffing but rarely able to get the Cadence to bottom out during that flick.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Meant to mention this...the H100 with that big surround exhibits little if any visible stress during high output playback. You know the Cadence dances like a bugger. I've never stressed it enough to bottom, but I've made it dance:D . Everybody had to split, so the Cadence was gone for WOTW. My head is hurting, cause I showed off for cyberbri with the SVS...seriously loud.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks a bunch Ron! :)

Very cool to see that the Xsub and H100 are so close. I guess its looks that will decide.

I would love to do one of these things, but I don't know how many poeple would want to come over, and I don't know of many people that are close to me.

SheepStar

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
great review, it was nice to hear about a direct comparison between the xsub and h100. So, just curious, is the SVS 3 fold better in terms of output and sound quality vs the h100 and xsub since its roughly 3 times the price? I've never seen a response curve for the h100 some im just curious

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Spiffyfast said:
great review, it was nice to hear about a direct comparison between the xsub and h100. So, just curious, is the SVS 3 fold better in terms of output and sound quality vs the h100 and xsub since its roughly 3 times the price? I've never seen a response curve for the h100 some im just curious
That's the value question of the day...is the sometimes subtle difference in performance and capability worth hundreds and sometimes thousands more? That's totally subjective to each individual.

In this case, I think everyone agreed that the SVS was a bargain. The output with the right source is astounding. I'm serious...there were some "Holy sh*t" exclamations, something you might not need, but once you experience, you want more of.

If the H100 or Cadence is in your budget then you it's doubtful you'll regret your purchase at a real bargain price. They are that good. If you can afford any SVS, the same thing applies. I doubt if they can make that kind of performance any cheaper and stay in business.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Spiffyfast said:
I've never seen a response curve for the h100 some im just curious
Go over to AVS and lookup cyberbris H100 thread. He did some FR graphs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis