proshot04

proshot04

Audioholic Intern
What is the benefit in using xlr over rca if any with a my Subwoofers. i have 2 EP125 subs and i have an Emotiva MMC-1 pre amp.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
unless you are getting a hum with an RCA cable/interconnect ... none really.

maybe there's more signal from the XLR output over the RCA one

Mike19

Mike19

Junior Audioholic
My understanding is that a balanced connection is louder than an unbalanced. I don't recall the techinal reason; maybe lower resistance. XLRs are used for balanced connections. If the Emo is truly balanced (it might not be), then you should use the XLR connection to your sub. It will put a little less stress on your sub's amp. If the Emo is not truly balanced, then using XLR will make no difference ecxept maybe a tighter connection.

Mike

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Using balanced over unbalanced does not put less strain on the subs amplifier. An amplfiier has a given amount of input voltage that it takes to drive it to full power output. An amplfiier's gain is always a constant, which means it simply amplifies what is fed into it. Many people do not understand how amplifiers and gain controls or volume knobs operate so often times they think that if you turn the volume knob up all the way that an amplfiier is at its full power. This is simply not the case.

One of the main reasons for balanced connections is noise rejection. There are many articles on the subject.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Balanced XLR outputs were developed for use in professional studios where long cable lengths and different equipment and wires introduced many opportunities for electromagnetic interference (hum, noise) to develop.
This balanced connection reduced and/or eliminated the noise.

For consumer use, the cable lengths are typically short, so that interference is not a problem. There is usually no advantage to using balanced cables in a home environment unless you are running long lengths of cable.

They do provide a great ground connection, and go a long way in preventing ground loops.

Hope that helps a bit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis