Xbox 360 HD DVD Player - Optical 5.1 Surround Sound

I

Ifuhad1

Audiophyte
I ma having a slight problem only when playing HD DVD's in my external Xboc 360 HD- DVD player. When I play a regular definition DVD in the external player I get 5.1 , but when I pop in a HD DVD disk I only get Stereo? I am using the 3rd party HDMI / Optical AV pack plugged directly into the external HD Dvd player.

Stummped

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I ma having a slight problem only when playing HD DVD's in my external Xboc 360 HD- DVD player. When I play a regular definition DVD in the external player I get 5.1 , but when I pop in a HD DVD disk I only get Stereo? I am using the 3rd party HDMI / Optical AV pack plugged directly into the external HD Dvd player.

Stummped
Welcome to the forum

I do not have the HD-DVD add on but I would try a couple of things.

1) First go into the xbox 360 dashboard and go into the sytem settings and under the sound options make sure Dolby Digital 5.1 is enabled.

2) Check to see if the HD DVD drive has its own audio settings, if so, bring up the audio menu for the HD DVD drive & enable DD 5.1/DTS.

I

Ifuhad1

Audiophyte
Thanks for your response and input. The Xbox360 dashboard is set to DD 5.1 for sure which is why I do get DD 5.1 sound from regular dvd's when playing them in the xbox hd dvd player. I will have to check to see if the actual hd dvd disk has audio option within it to select DD 5.1, as well as chaecking for more hd dvd palyer audio options and hopefully i come up with something. I was hoping it wasnt due to the fact I see true hd sound lables on the hd dvd's and my kenwood receiver cant decode that.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I was hoping it wasnt due to the fact I see true hd sound lables on the hd dvd's and my kenwood receiver cant decode that.
This would not be an issue. Looking to see if the HD DVD drive has audio options and checking the sound options on the disk itself are very good ideas to try. The most logical is having to change the sound options from stereo to dolby digital 5.1 in the HD DVD sound options (if there is one), if this is the case, it will most likely fix your problem.

I

Ifuhad1

Audiophyte
Well I came home and popped in a Hd DVD (Batman Begins). 1st verifying that the Xbox 360 dashboard was set to DD 5.1 and it was. I plauyed the dvd and set the dvd's menu audio options to DD 5.1. Still palys in stero. Now - as noted b4 when I insert a normal DVD my receiver automatically switches itself to DD 5.1 Audio. I du no..Maybe it's my receiver.. I have a back up kenwood receiver that decodes 5.1 and i am going to swapp them out for a test later this evening .. I will keep you posted.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Did you check to see if there is any seperate settings or menus for the HD DVD add on?

I

Ifuhad1

Audiophyte
didnt find any. I can seem to understand why regular non hd dvd's play 5.1 audio just fine, but Hd dvd's do'nt from the same player

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
didnt find any. I can seem to understand why regular non hd dvd's play 5.1 audio just fine, but Hd dvd's do'nt from the same player
While the HD dvd is playing in stereo mode, on your receiver remote go through all the different audio settings and see if anything happens.

Have you done an update for the HD DVD on xbox live?

I

Ifuhad1

Audiophyte
i didnt know there was an update to the player.. ill have to check for that

I

Ifuhad1

Audiophyte
I swapped receivers and the back up receiver auto swithed to Dolby digital on an HD DVD, but not 5.1, only 3.1 dolby Pro-Logic ( Center channel and Rear Surrounds - no Fronts or Sub.). Sounded good, but I think i may need a newer receiver. I am using a 7-8 year old Kenwood VR3080.

I

Ifuhad1

Audiophyte
I borrowed a newer Denon receiver from my neighbor which is a back up receiver for him and Wholaaaa, Dolby Digital as well as DTS output from the XBOX HD player Add-on. Finally I have all speakers souding off to the HD disk's. Now I will have to make him an offer on the reciever .. But problem solved ... Thnks for all the replies ... :)

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I borrowed a newer Denon receiver from my neighbor which is a back up receiver for him and Wholaaaa, Dolby Digital as well as DTS output from the XBOX HD player Add-on. Finally I have all speakers souding off to the HD disk's. Now I will have to make him an offer on the reciever .. But problem solved ... Thnks for all the replies ... :)
Glad you finally got it to work:). What Denon receiver did your buddy let you borrow? It should say which model in the lower right hand corner of the receiver...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis