Xbox 360 a good choice for a media streamer?

M

monsterenergy22

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

We have been looking to get a media streamer set up with our HD TV in our living room to stream movies from our computer upstairs, as well as to watch on demand movies from Netflix. My first thought was either the ViewSonic NexTV VMP75 or the Western Digital WD TV Live Plus based on some positive reviews I read. I then was considering the Logitech Revue with Google TV but was disappointed with the reviews it was receiving. I then stumbled upon the article on AfterDawn "Stream Multimedia to Xbox 360 with TVersity".

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/stream_video_xbox_360_tversity.cfm

Since we just bought a Kinect for the TV down there, I thought this might be a viable solution since we would kill 2 birds with one stone. Any ideas on this and whether it is a good idea or not? Thanks for all of your help in advance!

R

redgirl

Junior Audioholic
I have the Logitech Revue

I know you said you were more interested in the Xbox than the Logitech Revue since you have read some bad reviews on the it but I wanted to give you some info on my experience with it.

I personally use it to stream Pandora while I surf the web ever since my laptop stopped working. I like that I can keep Pandora on while I check my bank account and Facebook.

My boyfriend and I both like the YouTube app; I was glad to have it when I stayed home sick from work. Have you seen Remi Gaillard's videos? I spent quite a bit of time on the couch watching those. Boyfriend also plays the guitar and likes being able to pull up guitar tabs on the TV so he can play and read at the same time; it's looks much less painful than trying to play from a laptop or desktop. We also use it to stream movies and shows via the Netflix app almost every night and have only had problems a handful of times.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would never use my 360 to stream anything once I got my WDTV Live. Simply put, it's nearly perfect and the price is so right it should be wrong. And naughty.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
This is a year old thread but things have changed in the last week and I wouldn't buy a Logitech Review now that it's been discontinued. Perhaps before but not now. I use and like my best of breed two-box (Roku XS & Netgear NeoTV 550) solution but if I had to choose just one box to live with it would probably be the newest version of the WDTV Live.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis