X3400H ARC switching frustration

Kevin S

Kevin S

Audioholic Intern
Recently purchased a new Denon x3400h to replace a Yamaha rx-v571.Have it set up with my LG UHD 4k 65" TV,Kef's across the front and a soon to be retired Energy ESW C10.I have my Direct TV DVR via HDMI into the Denon CBL/SAT input and the TV out via ARC as well as the ARC input to the TV.Sense the LG is a smart TV we switch back and forth from streaming Amazon,Netflix,etc.When turning on a source,weather it's TV or CBL/SAT the Denon will not auto switch from one to the other,have to manually switch it.Pretty annoying when my Yamy did this seamlessly without fail from one source to the next.I've tried the video switching from off to on with no avail.Do I just deal with it or is there something else I need to do?
Thanks in advance

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Recently purchased a new Denon x3400h to replace a Yamaha rx-v571.Have it set up with my LG UHD 4k 65" TV,Kef's across the front and a soon to be retired Energy ESW C10.I have my Direct TV DVR via HDMI into the Denon CBL/SAT input and the TV out via ARC as well as the ARC input to the TV.Sense the LG is a smart TV we switch back and forth from streaming Amazon,Netflix,etc.When turning on a source,weather it's TV or CBL/SAT the Denon will not auto switch from one to the other,have to manually switch it.Pretty annoying when my Yamy did this seamlessly without fail from one source to the next.I've tried the video switching from off to on with no avail.Do I just deal with it or is there something else I need to do?
Thanks in advance
I always use the Harmony to do all the switching so I don't know about the auto switching thing, but will find out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The little I've used ARC on my Denon and Onkyo I don't remember them having this ability but OTOH didn't expect but the tv to be affected....my issue with ARC was it always wanted to switch to the tv input when I wanted Directv on the cbl/sat in turning all on with a Harmony remote....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks in advance
It may have a lot to do with the imperfect compatibility/handshaking between different TV and AVRs, your Yamaha may just happen to work happily with your LG UHD TV, but it does not mean it would be as happy with another TV.

I just try this feature with my Sony XBR 4K and the Denon. At first it didn't work at all, not even sound without the optical cable that I had previously connected. Then I followed instructions to clear the Sony TV's App data and cach, then turn both TV and AVR off, unplugged the power cord for more than 10 seconds before plugging them back in and then every started to work. For the auto switching, there is a few seconds delay, but it works.

Since you have a LG TV, your solution would be different and you may have to search the net to find a solution. I found one for you, but it may or may not work for your particular TV.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/ARC-not-working-via-Anynet-but-Optical-audio-has-issue-too/td-p/186367

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This issue is more about HDMI-CEC among various devices than it is about the ARC feature itself. ARC, as the name implies, is Audio Return Channel, to get audio back to the avr from the tv via the hdmi cable. Granted, to use ARC on my devices I must activate HDMI control in each unit, but I never expected ARC to provide this auto switching feature in my avr (not saying it couldn't be implemented, and think within a brand's products they do offer such). I found this sentence on this page about ARC when talking about running ARC with an avr: "In this type of system, switching between HDMI source devices is controlled by the AV receiver’s input selector controls". Yamaha is HDMI certified if I remember M Code's info whereas Denon is not.

Kevin S

Kevin S

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the input guys,yeah your right about the HDMI CEC,I'l look into the app data & cach for my LG and play around a bit more with the settings on the Denon.I guess I'm just spoiled with my other units not having an issue with HDMI hand shaking, just cause a piece of kit costs more and has better features,it's not always compatible with other devices.But the whole point in CEC and HDMI ARC is to simplify cable clutter and utilize the AVR's ability to control source selections.
I'll post back if I make some progress.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good luck but I found the best solution was using the Harmony remote with macros and not use ARC at all. Then again I don't use my TV's apps for source, either, have better and more capable apps in other devices. A simple optical cable from tv to avr is simple enough and gives same audio potential, and you could even zip tie it to the hdmi to reduce clutter....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the input guys,yeah your right about the HDMI CEC,I'l look into the app data & cach for my LG and play around a bit more with the settings on the Denon.I guess I'm just spoiled with my other units not having an issue with HDMI hand shaking, just cause a piece of kit costs more and has better features,it's not always compatible with other devices.But the whole point in CEC and HDMI ARC is to simplify cable clutter and utilize the AVR's ability to control source selections.
I'll post back if I make some progress.
The settings on the Denon is easy, it's all on the video setting screen. It is the 4K TV's menu that may have some deep layers to go through in order to find all the things you need to do, that's the case with my Sony, it may be quite different for LG.

Once you have the settings figured out, please turn the TV and AVR off and then pull the plug on both and wait a minute (just to be 200% sure) before plugging them back on. As I mentioned, the switching to/from TV audio may take a few seconds. Good luck!

IMG_20180719_092131.jpg

Kevin S

Kevin S

Audioholic Intern
The settings on the Denon is easy, it's all on the video setting screen. It is the 4K TV's menu that may have some deep layers to go through in order to find all the things you need to do, that's the case with my Sony, it may be quite different for LG.

Once you have the settings figured out, please turn the TV and AVR off and then pull the plug on both and wait a minute (just to be 200% sure) before plugging them back on. As I mentioned, the switching to/from TV audio may take a few seconds. Good luck!

View attachment 25076
Those are the settings I have on my Denon,my LG is set up correctly.Have not unplugged the TV and Denon yet but will try.
Thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis