G

guynexdoor

Audioholic Intern
I bought speakers about 6 months ago, thanks to the help of this forum. I have polk bookshelf speakers, and I held back on a subwoofer, as per advice here.

I now have some extra cash. For a while, I was saving up for the x sub. However, Frys.com has a velodyne sub on sale. This one
VELODYNE VX-10C
10" 150 WATT Subwoofer

http://shop1.outpost.com/{BJVijv+nN7NKkgbh-nFGxg**.node1}/product/4674948

Is it better to buy the x sub? or should I go for the Frys deal?

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
I bought speakers about 6 months ago, thanks to the help of this forum. I have polk bookshelf speakers, and I held back on a subwoofer, as per advice here.

I now have some extra cash. For a while, I was saving up for the x sub. However, Frys.com has a velodyne sub on sale. This one
VELODYNE VX-10C
10" 150 WATT Subwoofer

That's probably not a bad deal. The X-sub does go down to 28hz as opposed to 35hz for the Velodyne.

Here is some more info from the avsforum
and this avsforum thread.

Totally your call. I haven't heard either. Just looking at specs and what else has been said.

-pat

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
I haven't heard the x-sub.

I own the VX-10 and I think it's a good linear sub. Audible in-room response is around 26 Hz. I'm guessing the x-sub's in room response would probably be a little lower.

The velo plays nice within its operating range. Most of the time I listen to movies at -15 to -20 db from reference and the sub sounds very in-tact and controlled at those volumes.

Use the forum's search feature, there are a lot of comments about both subwoofers here on the forums.

Good luck shoppin

G

guynexdoor

Audioholic Intern

I own the VX-10 and I think it's a good linear sub. Audible in-room response is around 26 Hz. I'm guessing the x-sub's in room response would probably be a little lower.

The velo plays nice within its operating range. Most of the time I listen to movies at -15 to -20 db from reference and the sub sounds very in-tact and controlled at those volumes.
I'm new to this, but I'm assuming that a lower Hz range is better for subs?

M

mojo_13

Audioholic
I'm new to this, but I'm assuming that a lower Hz range is better for subs?

The lower the Hz range the "lower" the sub can play which is the deeper the bass that it can play. If it could go down to 1hz for instance (they don't) it would be playin every signal that was put into the movie or track. Maybe someone else can explain it better if that didn't make sense.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja

Having heard both subs, that's exactly the case. Despite having a smaller driver, the x-sub does dig a little deeper. In doing so, you may notice some port noise on really loud explosions and such. Tough call between these two.

funked up

funked up

Audioholic

VELODYNE VX-10C
10" 150 WATT Subwoofer

I own the VX-10, and for a cheap subwoofer its not bad. I found out about the x-sub after the purchase, I may have gone that way if I had know about it, but i'm not dissapointed by what I got for the amount of money I spent. Don't expect it to shake your room. I plan on picking up the new AV123 MFW-15 when I save up the money, that should shake some stuff. I clicked on the link you have posted and the price said $250, if thats what your looking at paying for it DONT!! I bought this sub from Vanns.com for $170 + free shipping, and I've heard of deals for this sub that are even cheaper than that.

funked up

funked up

Audioholic
I clicked on the link you have posted and the price said $250, if thats what your looking at paying for it DONT!! I bought this sub from Vanns.com for $170 + free shipping, and I've heard of deals for this sub that are even cheaper than that.
Nevermind, just saw that the sale was for $130, thats a good deal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis