Would you recommend 7.1 or 5.1.2?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I understand the pics now. The atmos speakers are supposed to be the same distance from the wall as your L, R speakers. I will have these speakers mounted 3 feet in front of me for atmos up at the ceiling pointing down but point down 3 feet in front of my ears. Or should I point them at my ears if I can?

https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I understand the pics now. The atmos speakers are supposed to be the same distance from the wall as your L, R speakers. I will have these speakers mounted 3 feet in front of me for atmos up at the ceiling pointing down but point down 3 feet in front of my ears. Or should I point them at my ears if I can?

https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation
I think it depends. If you’re only worried about one LP then I’d say aim them toward that. If your trying for wider coverage then point them down, or split the difference even.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed. I'm curious as to what he means by "straight sideways"
That’s how you walk after drinking too much. “Straight sideways”. :)

Actually the svs speakers are like a triangle so he means the triangle doesn’t rotate toward the listening position. Not sure these would be that great for atmos but SVS probably has a recommendation if you call them. I would recommend calling them.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
WHat would be some ceiling mount options? ANy links to ceiling mount speakers for atmos

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
https://rslspeakers.com/products/c34e-edgeless-in-ceiling-speaker/
I bought 4 of these.
As far as mounting regular speakers to the ceiling, you have more options but they won’t look very elegant.

SVS has a ceiling mount just for the prime elevation speakers. It should work pretty good since the baffle is angled, it would basically aim the speaker down and toward the LP.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Cant I mount those svs speakers on the wall pointed down at me? I was thinking the same thing as you William.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Cant I mount those svs speakers on the wall pointed down at me? I was thinking the same thing as you William.

So according to this one, you can mount them at the front height speaker location. My issue with that, is that being on the same vertical plane as the mains, I don’t see how they’d phantom image into the room that way, since the height speakers use the bed speakers to do that.

FWIW, when I was younger, I mounted a pair of 6x9’s in the false ceiling in my bedroom. I thought they sounded great(though I’m sure if I heard them today, I might be less impressed lol)
Even if you tried it in the false ceiling and changed your mind, ceiling panels are cheap.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
True I will try the in ceiling speakers and see what happens.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Even with my drop ceiling? The speaker will be in a free air environment.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Even with my drop ceiling? The speaker will be in a free air environment.
Should be fine with it. If it was inwall critical listening, you would need a back box. If you are really concerned by it email polk to verify, but since the dont sell the enclousers I'd say go for it.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Where do I mount these polks though? Do I mount them like 3 feet in front of my listening position and how wide? my room is 22' x 12' x 7.5'. 5.1 surrounds are on side walls 12' apart and fronts are 12' apart due to a 135" screen. Center and fronts are roughly 16 feet away

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I think the same width as your mains and maybe 3’-4’ in front.
You might try dynamat to line the ceiling tiles, and stuff the area around(but not up to) the cavity with some r-12.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Roxsul would be better than fiberglass insulation. Non-flammable, and a very good sound deadener.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis