B

bymervon

Audiophyte
Hi i am trying to save some cash and work on diy subs. Im thinking of making a sub out of a new food grade 55 gallon drum with a dayton ultimax 18 inch sub. From what i gathered the drum is around 12.743 cubic ft. parts express says ultimax vented needs 8 cubic ft but winisd says 21 cubic ft.

The drum is sealed all except for the 2 small holes for filling water which i could maybe turn into 4inch flared vents that are 90 degree angled internally and then on the bottom smooth side cut a hole for the sub.

It would save about $300 compared to making 2 full marty's and would cut down on time.

Would this work ?

Attachments

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Hi i am trying to save some cash and work on diy subs. Im thinking of making a sub out of a new food grade 55 gallon drum with a dayton ultimax 18 inch sub. From what i gathered the drum is around 12.743 cubic ft. parts express says ultimax vented needs 8 cubic ft but winisd says 21 cubic ft.

The drum is sealed all except for the 2 small holes for filling water which i could maybe turn into 4inch flared vents that are 90 degree angled internally and then on the bottom smooth side cut a hole for the sub.

It would save about $300 compared to making 2 full marty's and would cut down on time.

Would this work ?
No it won’t work, too flexible. If this is the direction you want to go I suggest Googling Sonosubs. You should also consider Marty sub enclosure or just a sealed enclosure which will be much smaller. By your question I’m guessing you have very little knowledge on subwoofer building (don’t worry I’m not much ahead of you) so I suggest going with an enclosure designed specifically for the Ultimax, there are lots and they will all get you evicted.

B

bymervon

Audiophyte
No it won’t work, too flexible. If this is the direction you want to go I suggest Googling Sonosubs. You should also consider Marty sub enclosure or just a sealed enclosure which will be much smaller. By your question I’m guessing you have very little knowledge on subwoofer building (don’t worry I’m not much ahead of you) so I suggest going with an enclosure designed specifically for the Ultimax, there are lots and they will all get you evicted.
Ok i guess ill just stick with the full marty's then. Yes i have never built a sub before and luckily size of the sub doesnt matter because i have a big room and no wife or neighbors.Thanks

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Ok i guess ill just stick with the full marty's then. Yes i have never built a sub before and luckily size of the sub doesnt matter because i have a big room and no wife or neighbors.Thanks
Have fun. The only problem with a full Marty is nightclubs will become underwhelming.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis