Would this system be good ?

U

Unregistered

Hi ! I really like sound, but most of the sound I hear is from my PC (MP3), and the "normal" pc speakers, mostly suck, so recently my dad got himself a KEF sound system and I got the old Sony Hi-Fi System, so what would I do with it ? I connected it to my pc´s sound output.. This system is pretty good, but I feel some of the parts need retirement, specially the cables, which are pretty bad.. I wanted to change the speakers, the receiver, all the cables and possibly buy a new CD player.. The room is pretty small, about 4 square meters (dunno.. maybe it´s a little more) and I was thinking about a pair of Harmon Kardon HKB 4 speakers (or maybe two pairs if you guys think I need 4 speakers to get surround in a room this small) and a HKSUB 12 Subwoofer and a Harmon Kardon AVR 330 Receiver.. I dunno if smaller speakers have similiar sound performances, but do you guys think that the Bose Acoustimass 5 Stereo Speaker System would be able to replace the Harmon Kardon 4 speakers ?
I´m totally open to sugestions, specially about the receiver cause I very young at this and I don´t know what´s out there :D. About prices, everything would have to be in the price range of the H/K equipment I refered.. The Bowers & Wilkins 600 Series 3 also seem interesting but I still dunno their price so... By the way, my actual speakers are two Sony SS-A902 3-Way speakers.. are they good or bad, compared to the H/K HK3 and with the B&W 600 Series 3 ?

Thanks

M

MichaelB

Audiophyte
Unregistered,
There are two options that spring to mind depending on what dollar figure you are looking to spend. Others on this forum will have more possibilities for you.

1. Get a HTIB- or "home theater in a box" from a local CC or Best Buy.
You get a lot of gear that is usually easy to connect. The
main downside is the inability to upgrade to better gear
when finances allow.

2. Go to sites like Onecall.com, CambridgeSoundworks.com, or
SoundCity.com to see if there are any specials that would combine
a receiver/speaker package. A more expensive option than # 1,
but you would be getting better quality gear.

It would help if we knew what the exact dollar figure is you can spend, what are your musical and video tastes, and how much of this system you want geared toward music vs. video.

In terms of brands, I like Pioneer and Outlaw products. I have limited experience with HK, but it is an established brand. As for cables, the general opinion on this forum (one I disagree with) is that as long as they are well constructed, don't spend alot of money on cables. Home Depot or Radio Shack are good sources for inexpensive cables. If you are mechanically inclined, you can also make your own cables.

Good luck, Michael

U

Unregistered

The maximum would be about $1200 US dollars, but I don´t want to spend that much.. I really like good sound.. I already have a HiFi system so I don´t want a HT, which would make me throw away my system... in audio vs video, I want a 50/50 more to audio then to video...

Hope this helps :D

Thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis