Worthy competitors of Carada Screen

H

Hdude

Audioholic Intern
Hi
I am looking to buy 126 Inch Carada Criterion Screen - 1.78 to 1. Are there any worhty competitors to look at that can save me some money but provide same quality before I pull the plug on carada?.
I have a dedicated media room with total light control.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Hi
I am looking to buy 126 Inch Carada Criterion Screen - 1.78 to 1. Are there any worhty competitors to look at that can save me some money but provide same quality before I pull the plug on carada?.
I have a dedicated media room with total light control.
You could paint using Screen Goo. Do it at most likely 1/3 the budget and could out perform the Carada Criterion.

H

Hdude

Audioholic Intern
jinjuku
Reason I cannot go with any wall based options is that my wall is not smooth at all and I won't put effort into it. Hence my option is limited to screens.

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
I love my Carada screen. The customer service was some of the best I've experienced and the build quality of this screen for the price is amazing! I will only be purchasing screens from them in the future.

T

TVJon

Audioholic
I'd echo what EJ1 said. Great service. Great packaging. Great screen value for the money. You've already committed to doing a dedicated media room - Carada gives the focal point very nice quality at a reasonable price. If it were me, I'd pinch pennies somewhere else. Actually, this WAS me, as I went through the same decision-making process.

One suggestion - try entering the contest - if you win, you'll save some cash without compromising quality.

TVJon

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
You could always build your own screen. You'll save a ton of money if you've got the time and equipment. (Miter saw, straight edge, spray adhesive, nail/staple gun. I built an 84" screen for about $50 in materials, and 2 hours worth of time.

I'll probably rebuild another when I put the carpet in my room. I can't see the difference between my DIY screen and my Da-Lite I had previously.

There are a ton of web resources out there for doing it.

H

Hdude

Audioholic Intern
Thank you all for your replies. No DIY for me. I'll ordering from CARADA today. :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are always lesser expensive options out there, such as Elite screens, but I'm really unsure of their quality, and the one that I saw had horrible sparkles on the screen which really turned me off to the company.

The MSRP of Carada - their online pricing - is less than most companies pay, at cost, for the competition, which is a significant sign of how much less they are than the big manufacturuers, but the reviews of their product, with customer testimonials is the real proof of their quality.

The best cheaper solutions can be neither for many people.

1. Goo: Sorry, I'm not a fan of painted walls. You can go with a piece of board that you paint, that may be better, but painting your walls is a good way to ask for a nail to pop and ruin all of your effort. Forget Goo altogether and going with decent paints makes more sense, but still, the same issue.

2. Build a screen... I did this once, and it worked great. They look very good... every bit as good as my motorized Draper screen. But, it was about a 10 hour effort all said and done and my time is worth more than that. Not sure how busy you are, but if you aren't up for it, then forget it.

Most of all - none of these are portable solutions. If you intend to move, or change things, then there is no solution that these offer. You either leave the wall with the Goo on it, or you break down the screen completely... and it's basically broken. With the professional screen, you disassemble it, wrap it up carefully, and put it back together wherever you want it later on.

Smart call with the Carada! Pure grade A quality!

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
I went through a nightmare with my paint on screen.
It wound up working but cost a lot and I spent a lot of time with it.

The newer DIY formulas that are all top notch should be sprayed on.
Which is a whole batch of new problems.

The several Carada screens I have seen for the price make it worth the extra 1-2 months to save for one.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
What about the Elite Cinetension screens? They seem to be priced to move!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis