McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
I have a WiiM Pro that I'm using to connect my TV via Toslink to my Parasound Hint integrated, as well as stream Qobos and Amazon Music via WiFi. Overall, the Wiim Pro works well via Toslink, and the ESS Sabre DAC in the Parasound is highly regarded from what I read. That said, the WiiM Pro will occasionally reboot for no apparent reason. Yes, there is often a reboot when an update gets pushed out but it also reboots outside of an update as well. I initially purchased it to see if I would actually use a music streamer without spending much money. It has exceeded my expectations in many ways with only a few nits to pick of little consequence. However, the rebooting thing is starting to annoy me as it sometimes happens while watching a program or movie.

Looking at several other moderately priced streamers, including the Bluesound Node, I'm finding them lacking inputs or sketchy performance. However, there is one that seems interesting to me, the Cambridge Audio CXN V2. It has sufficient inputs, mainly Toslink in/out, and balanced outputs should I want to listen through the Wolfson DACs. (Which I might.) They dropped the price from $1,299 to $999 recently. I've seen the reviews and measurements on both pieces and they both appear to do well via Toslink.

Is anyone using the CXN V2 and what do you think about it? Worthwhile upgrade or not?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I did look at the CXN V2 but ended up going with a streamer/DDC combo from Holo Audio. I have heard much better things about the Cambridge over the Bluesound devices but I am mainly a Roon user. I know several folks over on the Roon forum have the CXN V2 so you may get more actual users there then just our opinions.

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
The CXN V2 has the connection capabilities I'm after where most other streamers are lacking in comparison. I am also wondering if their app has any EQ capabilities. I doubt it as I can find no mention of that feature anywhere.

I'm using a Toslink cable from the TV to the WiiM and another Toslink to the Parasound. The CXN V2 not only has a Toslink input and output, it also has balanced outputs I can run to the Parasound as well. This would allow me to choose which DAC I listened through simply by changing the input selected on the Parasound.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There are other options than dropping a whole $1k on a media player. Just saying:

More on the same subject here:

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, I'm apprehensive about spending that much to get what I want. I don't mind spending a bit if it's worthwhile and thus my question. While I haven't read the entire thing, I did look at the Pi Touch you suggest I consider. I am also aware of the Allo offerings. I am not opposed to either of them or something similar.

My TV does not have a USB output leaving me with either Toslink or analog RCA. Neither the Touch nor the Allo have Toslink inputs for the TV. The Parasound has USB, RCA, and Toslink Digital inputs. Along with the TV, I also have a Blue Ray player I connect to the Parasound via the digital RCA jack. The WiiM makes my connections easy as it provides a Toslink input from the TV and a Toslink output to the Parasound. The low-cost streamers I've seen do not provide for such connections. The CXN V2 does provide those connections (at more than I want to spend) and offers the additional ability to connect it to the Parasound through its balanced outputs. For giggles, I could switch between the Wolfson DAC in the CXN V2 and the ESS Sabre in the Parasound. Not important, but interesting.

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
Your suggestions are (rightfully) forcing me to ask myself if I want to build or buy. It doesn't seem that long ago that I would have gladly chosen to build just for the "fiddle factor". The opportunity to learn and play with something new (to me) may have been irresistible. Now, I'm not sure I have the energy to put into that process for this purpose. That probably won't make much sense, but it's where I'm at right now for personal reasons.

I am open to options with the above-stated input/output capabilities with or without a built-in DAC. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the less expensive streamers are assuming USB signal input from a PC. That's not my usage in this case. The WiiM connects via WiFi for actual streaming while providing a Toslink input for the TV. The CXN V2 offers the same connections. Both offer analog RCA outputs if you want to use their DACs but neither force you to. Why is this so difficult to find?

I have an older version of the Parasound integrated. From what I'm reading there are newer DAC chips available that may outperform the ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9018K2M I'm using now. I also understand that the implementation is what matters the most, though I'm not a digital engineer. I don't know if I might have a preference for the Wolfson DACs in the CXN V2, one of the newer ESS DACs in one of the Matrix Audio offerings. So far, most of what I'm seeing fails to have the input/output capabilities I want for less than the CXN V2.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since many pads/phones can easily be setup as streamers for especially those with "connect" type feature where the device only acts as remote, and you get a direct stream from the service (or your own network)....just don't see the value in spending on a dedicated streamer. I have no desire to have an extra box/controls to fiddle with, but many do like that aspect.

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
Not my wheelhouse so my ignorance is showing. I can get a USB Type C to USB Type B cable long enough to reach from my sitting position to the back of the Parasound and have need of nothing else? Other than using my battery faster what are the pros & cons sound quality wise?

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
Okay, that was amazingly obvious. Of course I could use my phone via any one of multiple apps. It never crossed my mind. Unfortunately, that would only fix one aspect for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis