Worth the wait for 3D?

L

lario

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking to purchase a new set hopefully soon but I'm sure I'll eventually want one of these 3D sets which I believe are due to hit the market in 2010. Is it worth putting off getting a new set now or wait for 3D? Any idea if these 3D sets will be reasonably priced? I also presume there will be some tweaking and adjustments to the 3D technology over the next little while and source material will be limited. 3D: Yay or Nay?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Imo: Big thumbs down for whole "3D" thing - ether you need special glasses to see it or it just looks stupid. Imho current 120Hz TV should be able to adopt the same 3D tech as used in Imax theaters.
But in General, 3D is just lattest fashion craze to lure to pay for something you don't really need.

Imo true 3D TV revolution is years away, right now 3D is basically fake, ether way you look at it.

Bring me holographic TV and I'll call it First 3D TV - until we get there, image displayed on flat screen is called 2d....

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
Imo: Big thumbs down for whole "3D" thing - ether you need special glasses to see it or it just looks stupid. Imho current 120Hz TV should be able to adopt the same 3D tech as used in Imax theaters.
But in General, 3D is just lattest fashion craze to lure to pay for something you don't really need

Imo true 3D TV revolution is years away, right now 3D is basically fake, either way you look at it.

Bring me holographic TV and I'll call it First 3D TV - until we get there, image displayed on flat screen is called 2d....

Oh man, you read my mind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O

OmegaNemesis28

Enthusiast
In my opinion, the only half decent "3D" is the one that requires you to use the grey-like glasses. The red/blue glasses are stupid and give little to no effect. If anything they take away from the movie rather then enhance it.

Regardless, 3D is one big joke at this point. Unless they can get things to actually jump out of the screen, it's a gimmick.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Regardless, 3D is one big joke at this point. Unless they can get things to actually jump out of the screen, it's a gimmick.
While the tech is not a standard by any means, The major studios and display manufactures are investing heavy in R&D, so a joke it is not.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
A group of folks at MIT built a holographic TV which they labeled a Histogram if I recall correctly. It was surprisingly inexpensive to build. Would love to get my hands on one of those :)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
BruZZi, nice of you to come hang out here.... you were a great help for me for info on plasma's over the past few years, and I would like to thank you. I have bought 3 great Panasonic Plasma's and not a one of them have ever had a problem.

I would have loved to go with Pioneer which I see you now have, but the money saved and a bit larger screen size was overall a better fit for me and I couldn't be more pleased... Again thanks for the guidance and knowledge - still got your page up and running...? Not finding it anymore... there was so much well kept info for panny users back then...

I'm now sportin a 65-850U, and really thrilled with it...

Oh and who came up with this new marketing cr@p of 3D tv's... good lord whats next - we buy pigs to fly to work on...? :rolleyes:

Just say NO to 3D !!!!

Warp

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
BruZZi, nice of you to come hang out here....
Nice to see ya here too Warp. :)

you were a great help for me for info on plasma's over the past few years, and I would like to thank you. I have bought 3 great Panasonic Plasma's and not a one of them have ever had a problem.
I'm glad I was able to help you. :)

Also glad you never had any problems with your 3 Panny TVs.

I've owned 5 Panasonic Plasmas over the past 6 years. With the exception of the first (the video board went bad only after 8 hours of use...), I never had any problems with the others as well. :)

I would have loved to go with Pioneer which I see you now have, but the money saved and a bit larger screen size was overall a better fit for me and I couldn't be more pleased...

I was actually planning to buy my sixth Panasonic Plasma. For several weeks I was waiting for a great deal on the 50V10. When I heard that Robert (from Value Electronics) was going to host a second shoot-out with the top 8 Flat Panel TVs (More like seven ;) IMO ) professional calibrated side-by-side including the 50V10 and 500M I decided to wait a bit more to check out how the 50V10 would compared against to the one of (if not "the"...) Best Plasma(s) on the market. Oh well, It didn't take too long to choose the replacement for my 50PH9UK. Especially considering the price... The KRP-500M with 3 years extended warranty by Mack and the table top stand was still cheaper the TC-P50V10. :D :D :D

Again thanks for the guidance and knowledge
You're Very Welcome. :)

- still got your page up and running...? Not finding it anymore... there was so much well kept info for panny users back then...
Unfortunately I couldn't keep that page running anymore.

I'm now sportin a 65-850U, and really thrilled with it...
It's an older model but still have a great PQ IMO. :)

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While holographic displays are still years (decades?) away at the earliest I expect, the reality of movie theater like 3D as a standard in the home is going to be here within 12 months I fully expect with the adoption of an active shutter system from Blu-ray Disc as a standard.

Full 1080p, full color, not grey polarized glasses like many theaters, but an active lcd shutter system which allows the TV to be far less expensive and is compatible (or should be) with lcd, plasma, and all projection technologies without a special screen or anything.

If you have been to the theaters and like the effect of Up or Avatar, then this is exactly what the expectation and the good reviews at recent trade shows has been saying about the 3D spec. being used by Blu-ray.

A number of theaters in the USA and world currently use active shutter 3D technology.

There's a fairly long discussion of Blu-ray and 3D over at High Def Digest...
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown/97649-do-you-think-3d-will-propel-blu-ray-top.html
which people may find interesting, and includes some links and a bit of research I did on the matter. (AV_Integrated there!)

Would I wait? I would at least wait to see what CES is going to present in the next couple of weeks, but I think that late 2009 will be when we start to see the displays come to market and they might have a couple hundred dollar premium attached to them.

But, they should NOT be the weak point of 3D viewing at home. The shutter glasses will be, and the requirement for a 3D Blu-ray player (if you don't own a PS3) is likely to be the significant hurdle for 3D on Blu-ray.

Image quality should meet a lot of the quality levels as seen in theaters currently, which is pretty nifty. Definitely a LONG way from the red/blue glasses of years gone by.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So many good tv's out.. why would you wait!
If someone already has a 42" display and they have had it for a few years and are thinking of moving it to the bedroom as an upgrade, then they aren't necessarily in a rush to go to a new display right away and could wait six months to a year before purchasing a new display if it offers them something currently completely unavailable.

After seeing Avatar, if 3D active technology for the home delivers the way it did in the theater, not only would I wait, but I would be willing to spend a couple hundred bucks more on my setup to ensure it is 3D capable for the new generation of what 3D will be delivering. Especially for front projection.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I think this is an area where the technology could be in flux for a few years to work out the kinks. All movies will not be shot in 3D, but for those special implementations like Avatar, it may be worth the cost for a 3D capable set. Mitsubishi and I think Samsung have had 3D ready sets available for a few years now.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I think this is an area where the technology could be in flux for a few years to work out the kinks. All movies will not be shot in 3D, but for those special implementations like Avatar, it may be worth the cost for a 3D capable set. Mitsubishi and I think Samsung have had 3D ready sets available for a few years now.
I haven't even seen Avatar yet (waiting for schools to resume, where I have a chance to get a ticket, or at least get a decent seat), but AFAIK, this is the ONLY movie worth going 3D for. I guess I'm in no rush. If I ever upgrade, I'll try waiting for full 3D capability.

On the other side of the coin, I wouldn't change everything out over just one movie. If I had a cinemascope setup, I wouldn't change everything just to accommodate The Dark Knight, for example.

Ryzer

Ryzer

Audiophyte
Really not worth the wait, IMO. 3-D is years away from being perfected, and who wants to watch TV at home with those ridiculous glasses on?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Good point, I mean, next thing you know we'll want to get some sort of audio enhancement by wearing some big goggle looking things over our ears and looks absolutely ridiculous wearing them.

Sorry, couldn't resist, but A/V is not a fashion statement, but as things move towards the home, there will be a variety of glasses available for people who need to look cool 24/7, and for those who don't care, then it doesn't really matter for them.

People also have different scales for what is important: 3D may work really well with this generation of new 3D displays compared to the old generations. Panasonic may have 3D plasmas available this Spring even.

But, it will take years and will likely be somewhat niche throughout the years. But, I really expect that within 3-4 years, if you are buying a quality TV, it will be a 3D capable TV. Likewise, when you buy a BD player, it will be a 3D capable version. Not a requirement, but pretty nifty.

Avatar definitely set some bars for quality, but there will be a number of movies, and potentially more than a few sporting events that offer 3D.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Whatever TV you buy now helps fund R&D for the next TV. The economy works by money flow not by hoarding.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Panasonic just opened the doors on its 3rd plasma plant with 3d production in mind, as well as production of displays over 65" :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yep, live sports are going to be one of the main drivers for 3D networks, just as they were for HDTV. Waiting or not, in a few years, I expect this to be a pretty standard feature on displays of any quality.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis