Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Two questions.

1. &nbsp; What importance is the magnet weight? &nbsp;When I look at catalogs, I see magnet weights ranging from 80 oz to almost 300 oz. &nbsp;But this parameter is not listed for mid range and tweeters. &nbsp;Is it the bigger the magnet the more watts or something?

2. &nbsp; Can a subwoofer for a car (driver only) make a good home subwoofer? &nbsp;Based on the above, I like a big magnet.</font>

D

DJ_Stunna

Enthusiast
<font color='#0000FF'>1. &nbsp;The most common way to increase accuracy in subwoofer design is to make the magnet structure very large (thus creating a lot of force bringing the woofer back to its original position more quickly) and providing it with a huge amplifier and a large voice coil to handle the power. &nbsp;While this is a very effective way, there is also another way. &nbsp;This would be to use a very light, yet sturdy diaphram material in the cone (such as the Aluminum cones that Axiom Audio uses it in all of its mid range and woofer drivers). &nbsp;In mid range and tweeter drivers, the magner size is less important because they are accurate already if you have a lightweight diaphram such as a titanium tweeter, etc. &nbsp;Plus, the weight of a diaphram is lower when it is smaller.

2. &nbsp;Car audio subwoofers CAN make good subwoofers for home, but they typically do not go as deep because they are designed with fs's that are relatively high (because of cabin gain in a car boosting the ~30-20 Hz response greatly). &nbsp;For a driver in the home, I'd STRONGLY urge you to buy from Adire Audio (either their 12&quot; Shiva or their 15&quot; Tempest drivers). &nbsp;While they offer drivers with more displacement and power handling at those sizes, the Brahma and Tumult, respectively, they are less accurate to my knowledge.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>DJ: Good info on the suitability of car subs for home use; I wondered about that myself sometimes.

Adire drivers are undeniably superb but expensive. Many knowledgable builders and designers including Siegfried Linkwitz like Peerless woofers too. They cost less, but still not cheap. Linkwitz suggests the Peerless XLS models for his full-range Orion dipole designs and his Phoenix dipole subs.

I stumbled across a Webpage once where some guy put an ungodly number of Shivas in a stiffened wall to make a huge infinite baffle woofer. Crikey!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DJ_Stunna

Enthusiast
<font color='#0000FF'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rip Van Woofer : I stumbled across a Webpage once where some guy put an ungodly number of Shivas in a stiffened wall to make a huge infinite baffle woofer. Crikey!
Heheh - I believe I have seen the same link.  It was either 4 or 6 of them right?  It was behind the home theater equipment and screen, correct? If so, I believe that this was also in the September 2002 issue of Sound and Vision.

/me goes to look to see if I still have that issue anywhere...

EDIT: I was wrong - the Sept. 2002 S&amp;V mag only used 2 12&quot; shiva's and they were not in an infinite baffle arrangement, but they were stacked vertically in independant boxes - heh.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
DJ_Stunna : <font color='#000000'>Here's a cool subwoofer design webpage...
EDIT: I need to give credit to RIP for this link - I stole it from the link in his sig a few days ago, and it has since been bookmarked...</font>
<font color='#000000'>Wasn't me, man! Unless it was a link within one of the pages mentioned on my site. Anyway, I never saw it before but it's a good one. Worth a bookmark for sure!</font>

D

DJ_Stunna

Enthusiast
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rip Van Woofer : <font color='#000000'>Wasn't me, man! Unless it was a link within one of the pages mentioned on my site. Anyway, I never saw it before but it's a good one. Worth a bookmark for sure!</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>Hmmm - I must have found it when I was looking up designs a few days ago - heh.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis