G

Ggc

Audiophyte
Hi Guys, quick question.

The photo attached is of a burst speaker however what I am curious about is the ‘leakage’ mark I circled in red. Does this happen once the speaker bursts or can it be released like this from factory?

Thanks
1AB6C873-4BD6-45D4-9916-85A5AA90FA69.jpeg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That isn't leakage. Those are tinsel leads. They connect the voice coil (the copper winding that drives the moving assembly) to the wire terminals. Most drivers don't use that kind of design anymore, so this is seen mostly on older drivers. In other words, the speakers are supposed to look like that, so nothing is wrong, with that part of the cone at least.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just what "burst"?
Looking at his photo, I could see someone who did not know the construction of a speaker believing that when the dust cap got "mashed" in, it ruptured (like a ketchup pack!), and that black stuff squirted out of where it burst!:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at his photo, I could see someone who did not know the construction of a speaker believing that when the dust cap got "mashed" in, it ruptured (like a ketchup pack!), and that black stuff squirted out of where it burst!:)
Maybe something else happened after it got turned up to 11? Doesn't work any more? If it's just the dust cap not so much....

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
He let the Speaker Juice out!

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I choked when I saw the OP. I wonder if he was serious..I kind of hope he was..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis